Hello! Looking forward to joining the community.

• HTML tutorial

JeepsGalore

Rank I

Contributor III

HI,

I'm Michael, I live in NJ.

My Fiancee & I are planning an overlanding trip in Colorado for our Honeymoon later this year.

Rig: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L

I haven't built up the rig yet, but planning to keep things modest. 2"lift and a winch bumper is all. Any suggestions for further modifications are welcome.

Little background on myself: I built a CJ-7 from a bare frame in High School, we take that on weekend rockcrawling trips at Rausch Creek in PA. Very fun vehicle but not really useable on the street.
I've got a '92 Jeep XJ 5 Speed that I drive daily, lightly modified with my knowledge from off roading but I dont really intend to wheel this one much. My Fiancee had a 99 XJ up until last month, unfortunately it was totaled in an accident, but at the same time allowed us to get the 04 WJ and got us inspired to get into Overlanding.

I'm very excited to go on an extended off-road adventure, so far I haven't done more than a weekend trip with the CJ.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Welcome! Sounds like a great adventure in the making and some good mechanical experience to go along with it. You'll find with Overlanding the ability to carry gear becomes a priority pretty quick the longer you plan to be out. Roof racks are also usually one of the first mods after suspension. Gotta care all that stuff, and sometimes the inside is not best for dirty gear, or not enough room, need to carry more fuel or water.

Best way to find out what you might need is to 1) this group. Which you are. Plenty people been down that road and can help you. 2) take a few shorter trips, day or weekend and shake down the gear, you'll find gaps quick and start a list of what you used, didn't use, and wish you had.

Cheers, and welcome to Overland Bound!

JeepsGalore

Rank I

Contributor III

Very good advice, thank you. We are still trying to decide what route we want to go for sleeping. I know rooftop tents have become popular recently, but a storage rack might be a better use of space.

We will definitely be going on smaller weekend trips closer to home, my fiancee hasn't driven offroad yet so I want to get some experience under her belt before the big trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankRoams

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

HI,

I'm Michael, I live in NJ.

My Fiancee & I are planning an overlanding trip in Colorado for our Honeymoon later this year.

Rig: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L

I haven't built up the rig yet, but planning to keep things modest. 2"lift and a winch bumper is all. Any suggestions for further modifications are welcome.

Little background on myself: I built a CJ-7 from a bare frame in High School, we take that on weekend rockcrawling trips at Rausch Creek in PA. Very fun vehicle but not really useable on the street.
I've got a '92 Jeep XJ 5 Speed that I drive daily, lightly modified with my knowledge from off roading but I dont really intend to wheel this one much. My Fiancee had a 99 XJ up until last month, unfortunately it was totaled in an accident, but at the same time allowed us to get the 04 WJ and got us inspired to get into Overlanding.

I'm very excited to go on an extended off-road adventure, so far I haven't done more than a weekend trip with the CJ.
Hi Michael and welcolme to OB! Nice looking CJ-7 and your other rigs! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

JeepsGalore

Rank I

Contributor III

Hi Michael and welcolme to OB! Nice looking CJ-7 and your other rigs! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!
Hey, thanks for the welcome. Funny enough, I happened to see your YouTube video where you converted Jade to sleep 2 people. Great looking Jeep, did you buy her with the CJ nose or choose to change up the styling?

And how is that Fridge working out for you? I tried looking it up after the video but couldn't find many reviews.