Hello from Portland, Oregon

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Greetings everyone!

While I'm brand spanking new to overlanding (unless you count the 100 hours of YouTube videos I've been watching...), I do have what's sometimes referred to as "transferable experience" in job interviews. Three things mainly:

• I used to off road a '92 bronco back in the late 90s (since departed to another owner), so I know a bit about that (far from expert however).
  • I've sailed up and down much of the lower Columbia on my 22' sailboat (kind of like living out of your vehicle), which has given me a little experience with electrical and propane systems.
  • And I've always loved doing what I call 'remote car camping', which typically involves long drives on forest roads to primitive camp sites where you have to bring everything you'll use with you right down to your water, extra gas, etc.
Ultimately, I know what I know but I know there's way more I don't know than what I do. And I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.

My current rig is a 1999 single cab Tacoma, which I've owned for 16 years. In the last year, however, I've finally been in a position to begin seriously upgrading it with an eye to start some shorter overlanding adventures. I've upgraded the front and rear suspension, tires and battery - and just this December got a winch and bumper. Still not sure about what I'm doing with the back (open bed + bed rack? canopy + rooftop tent? raised canopy + interior bed?), so any advice would be appreciated!

I've also slowly been collecting all the recovery gear and am pretty close to having what I need to do this solo. That said, my wife and I are looking to make friends, practice skills at the local OHV areas with like minded folks, local groups for camping and weekending and to generally be helpful and have fun.

Anyway, I've gone on long enough. Here's a pic of my rig in its current form:

20180114_162727_HDR.jpg

Love the Overland Bound videos, they've been immensely helpful. Thank you all. Happy to be here!

Last edited:

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Greetings everyone!

While I'm brand spanking new to overlanding (unless you count the 100 hours of YouTube videos I've been watching...), I do have what's sometimes referred to as "transferable experience" in job interviews. Three things mainly:

• I used to off road a '92 bronco back in the late 90s (since departed to another owner), so I know a bit about that (far from expert however).
  • I've sailed up and down much of the lower Columbia on my 22' sailboat (kind of like living out of your vehicle), which has given me a little experience with electrical and propane systems.
  • And I've always loved doing what I call 'remote car camping', which typically involves long drives on forest roads to primitive camp sites where you have to bring everything you'll use with you right down to your water, extra gas, etc.
Ultimately, I know what I know but I know there's way more I don't know than what I do. And I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.

My current rig is a 1999 single cab Tacoma, which I've owned for 16 years. In the last year, however, I've finally been in a position to begin seriously upgrading it with an eye to start some shorter overlanding adventures. I've upgraded the front and rear suspension, tires and battery - and just this December got a winch and bumper. Still not sure about what I'm doing with the back (open bed + bed rack? canopy + rooftop tent? raised canopy + interior bed?), so any advice would be appreciated!

I've also slowly been collecting all the recovery gear and am pretty close to having what I need to do this solo. That said, my wife and I are looking to make friends, practice skills at the local OHV areas with like minded folks, local groups for camping and weekending and to generally be helpful and have fun.

Anyway, I've gone on long enough. Here's a pic of my rig in its current form: View attachment 44887
Love the Overland Bound videos, they've been immensely helpful. Thank you all. Happy to be here!
Hello and welcome to OB! Nice looking Tacoma! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Reactions: 1000sAreSailing

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Greetings everyone!

Anyway, I've gone on long enough. Here's a pic of my rig in its current form: View attachment 44887
Welcome to OB, here is a meet up next month you might be interested in.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/meet-up-in-portland-02-10-2018.11487/

Reactions: 1000sAreSailing

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

If you would like a nice introduction overlanding trip ( I doubt there's snow on it yet) check out the wbcdr the first two sections are easy and it has some neat trail attractions . Nice close trip that will help you decide on what kinda gear will suit your needs for overlanding

Traveler I

If you would like a nice introduction overlanding trip ( I doubt there's snow on it yet) check out the wbcdr the first two sections are easy and it has some neat trail attractions . Nice close trip that will help you decide on what kinda gear will suit your needs for overlanding
Appreciate it. Will definitely check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

StormChaser

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Roaming, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Oddi
Welcome! I'm new here and from Portland as well! I'm on the other side of the Willamette, I hope to see you at the meeting next month.