Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Thanks for the add first of all....well I have finally decided to take the plunge and join OB...I have been wanting to overland for about a year now and have been laying plans to build my rig...a 2007 FJ with 260,000+ miles on it. All the miles are highway and town miles with no time offroad. The truck was bought in 2010 as a car for my wife but in the back of my mind were plans to build it into something special. After paying it off and buying my wife a 2016 TRD Tacoma 6speed in Quicksand I got the FJ as a hand me down. "Flora Jean" as she is known around here has had a few bumps and bruises along the way and is far from in perfect condition but I think this is what makes her so special and ready for her next life as a dirt queen. When my wife t-boned another car a couple of years ago and still drove Flora Jean home I knew then I had the opportunity to do some mods. After the body shop called me and said they couldn't find a OEM front skid plate and would I like a check to get an after market one I couldn't resist and said yes. So I ordered a ARB skid plate that covered all the way to the transmission. I'm know to cruise Craigslist a lot for motorcycles which is another of my passions, hence the name soho (SOuthern HOosier) speed shop. During such a session I came across a Smittybuilt front bumper for a ridiculously low price in town and snagged it up quick. Now with 260,000 miles on her some stuff is starting to wear out. The ball joints are in need of replacing as well as the shocks and tires...I just received my new tubular upper control arms with new ball joints... Next to be ordered is an OME shocks and springs for a 2+ inch lift this weekend...I'm still debating on going with stock steelie wheels but have settled on Cooper STT tires in 285 70 17 either way...beyond that I will be adding rock sliders and other under armor bits and a new rear bumper....I look forward to sharing Flora Jean's makeover and then the adventures I will be taking with her and my family...cant wait to meet some great people and have some great times....

upload_2017-7-25_9-55-15.png

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Nice start man, This is DJ, met you through Cat a long time ago. Glad to see you here.
RAD! glad to run into a friendly face....I'm want to put together a like minded group of overlanders to do a trip...I'm just getting started so I was thinking about a trip to LBL Turkey Bay or Dirty Turtle...sound like something you might be interested in?

Reactions: dj_mccomas

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

RAD! glad to run into a friendly face....I'm want to put together a like minded group of overlanders to do a trip...I'm just getting started so I was thinking about a trip to LBL Turkey Bay or Dirty Turtle...sound like something you might be interested in?
Definitely man, also the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway in Slade is awesome, did part of it before. Hit up the Overland Bound Midwest FB group, there is a Midwest meet in a few weeks. I'm hoping to make it up for at least 1 day of it.

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Don"t think the FJ will be ready by then....I'm collecting parts for the build....hoping to have the stuff gathered by the end of September for a fall weekend build session in Columbus Ohio with some friends...I'm working the beer tent at Grateville this weekend...stop by if your into that kinda thing and we can catch up...
Definitely man, also the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway in Slade is awesome, did part of it before. Hit up the Overland Bound Midwest FB group, there is a Midwest meet in a few weeks. I'm hoping to make it up for at least 1 day of it.

Reactions: dj_mccomas

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Don"t think the FJ will be ready by then....I'm collecting parts for the build....hoping to have the stuff gathered by the end of September for a fall weekend build session in Columbus Ohio with some friends...I'm working the beer tent at Grateville this weekend...stop by if your into that kinda thing and we can catch up...
All good, just wanted to give you a heads up. We are heading out of town this weekend or I would try to make it out. I'll definitely be in touch man, welcome to the community.

Reactions: Overland Omnivore