Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
They should be. Take a tape measure, measure distance to ground, add 6 inches. That's about how high a high lift will be to remove a tire. I have notches in my bumpers for a high lift to fit into. No way to slip off. I used them in the driveway to see how well they worked. My high lift was almost at the top. If my vehicle was a bit higher, I would have to get a taller high lift.

This is a problem with modern trucks and will most likely raise the price of the bumper. From what Ive seen, on most trucks the sensors look like they should be easy to swap over provided the bumper accepts them.
I went to look at a dodge truck last year. A friend replaced the bed with a flat bed. The sensors on that truck were in the tail light housings. They wanted me to make them work in the aftermarket rear lights on the new bed. It wasn't possible and no one made a "universal" sensor I could use. As far as I could see, all it did was disable the vehicle lane change detection and turn on a light.
It's not just if a bumper will accept them, but where on the bumper, the provision is made. By that, i mean, are the sensor provisions in the same location as the OEM ones? This is a very important consideration, as the sensor wire will not have very much slack to reach the new sensor position, if not mounted close to the OEM bumper provision. Imagine buying and installing a bumper, only to find out the added dollars you spent for a compatible upgrade was wasted, because they don't reach.

Gear threads are always attracting my attention, especially when they are vehicle related. It doesn't matter what brand, it's the gear to make them better that fascinates me . The input from 'many' is more informative than any manufacturers slick advertisement. Real world reviews, and input, are where you get honest answers.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
It's not just if a bumper will accept them, but where on the bumper, the provision is made. By that, i mean, are the sensor provisions in the same location as the OEM ones?
Absolutely. The sensors are sonar. Their calibrated to be in a certain spot. Just because they mount doesn't mean they will work properly. That can lead to false readings but should not turn on a fault light. In a few more years, we may not be able to mod our vehicles much at all.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

In a few more years, we may not be able to mod our vehicles much at all.
@smritte It's already happened. Those concerned about not being able to Mod what you paid for, perform basic repairs, or drive it like you own it, Need to start looking up your local "Right To Repair" Laws (Hint: they don't exist in many states). Farmers are already having to go to places like the Ukraine to get hackers to provide Firmware fixes because manufacturers of tractors have locked them out of even simple repairs in the name of increasing profits. See:
A trend that started in the computer world with things like eBooks, DVD's and Digital Music has spread to many other consumer (Coff ... printer cartridges ... Kurig Coffee Pods ... Cough!) and industrial products.

This is already happening on cars as well. Recently learned that either BMW or Mercedes have DRM'ed (applied a digital identifer of some sort that removing is illigal in the USA and other countries) their batteries and battery cables. What should have been a simple ~$100 trip to the nearest NAPA or AutoZone has become a mandatory $800+ trip to the dealer. Found out about this from a guy who was traveling through WY when his battery died. He got a lift to get a replacement and before he got home to CO had fried his new battery, DRM'ed battery cables, and alternator. Resulting in a huge tow bill, $2500+ parts / programming bill, and major disruption to his life.

This should be a considerable concern for those in the Overlanding community (or even those who get to play at overlanding for a few weekends a year). We prefer to be far afield and staying within a quick jaunt of the dealership runs counter to that drive.

Sorry for the rant but these next level fee-tures made it really hard for me when looking to buy a new rig.

Boort

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

@smritte It's already happened. Those concerned about not being able to Mod what you paid for, perform basic repairs, or drive it like you own it, Need to start looking up your local "Right To Repair" Laws (Hint: they don't exist in many states). Farmers are already having to go to places like the Ukraine to get hackers to provide Firmware fixes because manufacturers of tractors have locked them out of even simple repairs in the name of increasing profits. See:
A trend that started in the computer world with things like eBooks, DVD's and Digital Music has spread to many other consumer (Coff ... printer cartridges ... Kurig Coffee Pods ... Cough!) and industrial products.

This is already happening on cars as well. Recently learned that either BMW or Mercedes have DRM'ed (applied a digital identifer of some sort that removing is illigal in the USA and other countries) their batteries and battery cables. What should have been a simple ~$100 trip to the nearest NAPA or AutoZone has become a mandatory $800+ trip to the dealer. Found out about this from a guy who was traveling through WY when his battery died. He got a lift to get a replacement and before he got home to CO had fried his new battery, DRM'ed battery cables, and alternator. Resulting in a huge tow bill, $2500+ parts / programming bill, and major disruption to his life.

This should be a considerable concern for those in the Overlanding community (or even those who get to play at overlanding for a few weekends a year). We prefer to be far afield and staying within a quick jaunt of the dealership runs counter to that drive.

Sorry for the rant but these next level fee-tures made it really hard for me when looking to buy a new rig.

Boort
I hear you man. There is so much stuff going on in this truck I can’t fix because of the computer controls. My brother is a mechanic in a line haul operation. He understands the new technology and has the Cummins software, however, it would cost 15k to get the license from FCA to be compatible with my truck. Same computer, same tool, same motor, different brand of truck, 15k license. My old truck flat out died and I didn’t want to find another one that old and get a whole new slew of problems. At least this way, for the next 5 years, whatever breaks is the dealers problem.