Heating water under the hood

• Guest, You can choose a light or dark theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" botton at the very bottom left of this page!

Aequitas1916

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey everyone,

New to the forum, and I’ve got kind of an odd question. It’s *kinda* kitchen/cooking related, or at least it’s closer to that than anything else. Pretty much a variation of the engine grilling idea, only no food.

I’m looking for a way to heat the water for my coffee using the engine compartment. That way I can just hit the road/trail/whatnot in the morning and stop for a coffee break once the water’s good and hot.

I was thinking of suspending a tea kettle over the exhaust manifold with some wire, but I can’t seem to find any that seal tight to prevent exhaust fumes or whatever else getting into the kettle. Otherwise it would be perfect, since they usually have a pressure relief valve so it won’t blow up if it boils.

Any ideas?

jim lee

Rank V

Advocate III

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Heat exchanger with coolant water? Just like your car's heater but liquid to liquid as opposed to liquid to air. Boats sometimes use this kind of setup.

-jim lee

Logan_Gibson

Rank III

Advocate I

Central Alabama
Member #

Water to Water heat exchange, I use one for my camp shower. It gets boiling hot if you don't have a mixing valve.
You don't need to wait long to get some hot water, It takes just two or three minutes for the Heat exchange to get to 140°

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Supporter

Advocate III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Ham Callsign
K6KNT
Im with the Jet Boil idea, I leave mine in the jeep all time. If you want a good heat exchanger we have a club member who put the Glind heat exchanger under his hood and loves it.

Reactions: JungleSkunk

Dustin03

Rank I

Member I

Arizona
Member #

Hey everyone,

New to the forum, and I’ve got kind of an odd question. It’s *kinda* kitchen/cooking related, or at least it’s closer to that than anything else. Pretty much a variation of the engine grilling idea, only no food.

I’m looking for a way to heat the water for my coffee using the engine compartment. That way I can just hit the road/trail/whatnot in the morning and stop for a coffee break once the water’s good and hot.

I was thinking of suspending a tea kettle over the exhaust manifold with some wire, but I can’t seem to find any that seal tight to prevent exhaust fumes or whatever else getting into the kettle. Otherwise it would be perfect, since they usually have a pressure relief valve so it won’t blow up if it boils.

Any ideas?
Digging up an old discussion here, but this made me chuckle. I was never alive to see it, but legend has it that my great grandmother rigged up a dutch oven under the hood of their old GMC, to cook dinner on the long trek from Phoenix to Flagstaff. Before the days of I-17, it could take all day. But by the time they got to the top of "the hill" (as some of us locals call it), the smell of perfectly-done pot roast was wafting in from the engine bay.

On a more serious note, if you don't have an older rig, I think you'll be hard-pressed to find the room for anything like what you're talking about. And as a general rule, attaching anything with wire is probably not the best solution. If you manage to find the space in your engine bay, find a few existing attachment points to mount a bracket. If it's bolted in place, there's no chance of something rattling loose and falling into someplace it can cause serious damage.

Good luck in your project! I salute your pursuit of thermal efficiency.

ArmyofMike

Rank V

Influencer I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YFE
I've always thought of putting a water container under my Jeep hood to get hot from the engine compartment. Not boiling, but hot enough to take a quick cleaning of the hot spots. I figure a water container under the hood could reach up to 80-100 degrees on a warm day. Not a hot bath, but a warm bath.

The issue is how/where to mount it especially since the JK doesn't have a lot of room under the hood....

TSnider

Rank II

Contributor II

Carbondale, CO
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0UYA
I have a heater exchanger setup I built so i have a shower when hunting. It will in fact get water up to engine temp and its awesome. I use an RV water pump so I have some real water pressure. I do not having a mixing valve, so I just monitor the bucket of water until its at the temp I want, and then I shut the truck off. It works awesome, but if you pull water out of rivers like I do here in Colorado, you might not mix the water since it would technically be contaminated. (though I have read water above 135 for 10 minutes kills giardia, which is my main concern)

But I will say this, if your intentions are to wake up, start the truck and let it warm up, get the water hot and make coffee, you are going to be a lot faster using a JetBoil as mentioned above. I will forever have on demand hot water in any rig I build because its awesome, but I personally wouldn't use it for coffee because its more of a hassle. An inverter and a drip coffee maker might suit you better.

Having hot pressured water is amazing for blasting off the skottle, dishes and traction boards if you have used them. I have even dropped the water pickup hose into the creek and blaster the camp fire from 30 feet away to put it out before I continued on after a shower. Lots of little useful perks.