Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Schueller
Member #

Hey Folks!

I have, en route, a Smittybilt model 2780 air compressor. The stats say that the heat shutoff is at 150 degrees F which is concerning to me if I mount in my engine bay. Does anyone have issues with engine bay mounted air pumps? I know this isn't the best air compressor out on the market, but I am mainly buying it for an upcoming trip to Moab, plus a few odd trips throughout the year.

Where are your air compressors mounted? Do you have issues with the heat cycle?

TIA

Nick_Gomez81

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Land O' Lakes, FL, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Gomez
Member #

Well, I had a Viair 480c installed under the hood of my JKU here in hot Florida and after a day of crawling would thermal trip and give me fits. I later moved it inside the Jeep under my passenger seat and no more issues. I have a Jeep JLU now and after learning my lesson started out with my new ARB inside to avoid the potential headache. Hope that helps some. Good luck with your install.

Reactions: Marco4X4 and mrseth

mrseth

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Schueller
Member #

Well, I had a Viair 480c installed under the hood of my JKU here in hot Florida and after a day of crawling would thermal trip and give me fits. I later moved it inside the Jeep under my passenger seat and no more issues. I have a Jeep JLU now and after learning my lesson started out with my new ARB inside to avoid the potential headache. Hope that helps some. Good luck with your install.

Thank you! Im looking towards installing it under my rear storage platform inside the truck. I think itll help with overall filter cleanliness and temperature management! I wish I could spend that kind of money on my rig- maybe someday!!! :)

mrseth

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Schueller
Member #

SO I have changed my plans- I'll be mounting my compressor in the rear quarter of my vehicle in a sound deadened area under my storage platform, and running the hook up like the Jeep JL fuel door kit (pictured). Fuel-Door-Image-1.jpg

Reactions: Marco4X4

Marco4X4

Rank 0

Contributor I

Gran Canaria, Spain
First Name
Marco
Last Name
Meienberg
SO I have changed my plans- I'll be mounting my compressor in the rear quarter of my vehicle in a sound deadened area under my storage platform, and running the hook up like the Jeep JL fuel door kit (pictured). View attachment 119446
. Once I get my Jeep (Probably ZJ 4.0) I'll install my ARB compressor below the passenger seat. Still not sure what switch setup to use. What are you running, SPOD or just the standard switch/relay configuration?

mrseth

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Schueller
Member #

I just got back from a trip to Moab, UT and used my underhood mounted compressor a few times- no issues with heat cycles bringing my 35's back to street pressures.

Marco4X4

Rank 0

Contributor I

Gran Canaria, Spain
First Name
Marco
Last Name
Meienberg
Hello again.

Last xmas I got my 4ed
Finally not a Jeep, but a very nice Hyundai Galloper 2.5 td.

I installed my ARB compressor in the engine bay and got so far no issues.

Attachments