Heading back to Colorado (San Juans again, but open to other areas) this summer, looking for new places to check out/camp.

• HTML tutorial

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I'll preface by saying we're obviously going to explore areas that look cool/interesting as that is part of overlanding, so I'm not necessarily looking for exact destinations but general areas/roads that are worth checking out. We'll be heading out there probably mid-July or early August.
  • Our favorite place that we've camped out there is by the creek at Bandera Mine. We'll definitely be going back there for at least a couple of nights.
  • Dispersed camping preferred as well as being close to water (creek, river, lake) and trees for hammocks.
  • Other spots we enjoyed were some spots along Last Dollar Rd. Checked out Alta Lakes but it was packed.
  • Didn't really get a chance to check out the Crested Butte area much.
  • Little towns with great food are also welcome on the list. For example, we loooooved the Packer Saloon & Cannibal Grill in Lake City. Also loved the pizza places in Silverton.
We'll likely be in the area for 2-3 weeks and we don't necessarily have to stick to the Alpine Loop area, so really anything within a day's drive of there isn't out of the question. Also not looking for any hardcore trails. I'm fine with things like Ophir Pass, the Alpine Loop, Corkscrew Gulch, etc.

So, just looking for some ideas of new places to check out. Thanks!

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Make sure and run Corkscrew. Should be dispersed camping. Have you been up to Yankee Boy Basin? Ophir is pretty but not that much camping in comparison.

Hit the hot springs in Ouray. Just north are some clothing optional springs ;-)

You can head over to Buena Vista. More trails than you can run in a summer.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Make sure and run Corkscrew. Should be dispersed camping. Have you been up to Yankee Boy Basin? Ophir is pretty but not that much camping in comparison.

Hit the hot springs in Ouray. Just north are some clothing optional springs ;-)
Yup, we did Corkscrew last time but didn't camp, I'll do some checking around there again for spots. I went up to the start of Yankee Boy Basin but didn't attempt it, at the time there were some rather large boulders that looked like they were hungry for rockers/doors. If I still had my JKUR I would've kept going, but not with my Canyon. Will definitely hit up the hot springs in Ouray, we didn't get a chance to last time.

EDIT: I'm wondering if maybe I missed a bypass near the start of Yankee Boy as it's not supposed to be difficult. The spot that I turned around at had a tight squeeze and some boulders that were 2-3 feet in diameter that would be dangerously close to various parts of my truck. It was starting to get dark anyway so I called it a day and headed back down to Ouray.

Last edited:
Reactions: zgfiredude

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
When you heading out that way? A group of us from California are going to be out there for a 8 days in July.
TBD, our youngest daughter is waiting to hear back about if she got the job as camp counselor for 4-H this summer. If she gets the job and is going to need to work all 4 camp sessions then we won't be able to go until late July or early August. If she doesn't get the job or doesn't have to work all 4 sessions then that opens things up.

Reactions: IceIceBaby42