Have you explored the WV side of George Washington National Forest (GWNF)?

• HTML tutorial

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I've done a moderate amount of exploring and camping in the Virginia side of the GWNF and have found helpful trip reports from others who have also enjoyed these areas. But when I do map recons I see a good bit of the GWNF extending into West Virginia but never hear much about those areas. There don't appear to be any public campgrounds over there and even fewer access roads so thinking it might be more pristine?

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

J_lovejoy

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

South Charleston, WV, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Lovejoy
Member #

I've read about a loop called the Allegheny Shenandoah overland loop. Supposed to travel through the WV portion of GWNF. I have yet to nail down a map yet though. When I do though, I will send it your way.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I think I have on GAIA and search for my name. Also I can share file thru google as well. Also I will share with one condition it's not going to be public. its OB community property

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Check out the maps from Purple Lizard. Purple Lizard does maps for WV, PA, and OH. They are incredibly detailed, with Forest Roads, "high clearance" 4wd trails, marked dispersed camp spots, hiking, biking, you name it. I was just out in West VA last week and almost used their maps exclusively to navigate and to locate a number of camp spots. They are well worth it!

Purpony

Rank I

Member I

CT
First Name
Marc
Last Name
C
Member #

How it the George Washington National Forest for Exploring? Are some of the trails fairly easy and open? I was thinking of visiting here and exploring and camping with he family this summer. Love driving off the beaten path but not looking for anything crazy to bust, break, or dent my daily.

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

How it the George Washington National Forest for Exploring? Are some of the trails fairly easy and open? I was thinking of visiting here and exploring and camping with he family this summer. Love driving off the beaten path but not looking for anything crazy to bust, break, or dent my daily.
GWNF for the most part consists of tame, wide, forest roads. There are only a few, actual, "trails". Potts Mountain Jeep Trail (not to be confused with just Potts Mountain Road) is typically argued to be the hardest and most legit actual trail. It's down towards Covington, VA. Even named trails like Peter's Mill Run (requires an OHV day pass), Second Mountain, Dictum Ridge, and both the Switzer Lake/Dunkle Hollow and Union Springs routes up to Flagpole Knob are fairly tame (typically with fun offshoots). If you're not a fan of pin stripes, stick to the more open forest roads...use the MVUM maps available on the Forest Service website or on GaiaGPS. Also...the Mid-Atlantic Backroads Discovery Route (MABDR) goes through a decent bit of it. You can always overlay the route on the MVUM layer in Gaia and explore from there.

Given that you're going in the summer, seasonally closed routes won't be much of an issue, but still double check. Some routes (typically dead ends) are only open a couple months a year during fall hunting season. Unfortunately summer also means peak brush overgrowth :grimacing: and Jurassic-era bugs.

GWJNF is HUGE...so if you want more location-specific options/data, it would help if you could narrow it down.

Reactions: danbrown