Have my Eyes on a First Run at Mojave Road... 2022 (updated with photos after trek)

• HTML tutorial

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
Nothwithstanding that we recently had this weird rain stuff fall on us in SoCal, I am thinking more and more about taking a drive across the Mojave Road, Laughlin to the West. I reckon it might be cold at night out there in winter, but I think this is why Al Gore invented down jackets and such (amiright?).

Who's got some input regarding winter weather and trail conditions?

Who's interested in going? Heck, who's already going?

Rig-wise, I am a Trooper on 31's, LSD, no sway disconnects, no nitrous.

Attachments

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Nice run.
You should maybe select a date or dates, number of days, any side trips and post this also in trip planning.....

Jim

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
Yeah, yeah: once I get some more concept down, I will certainly post my own details. I do like to plan things out, and the first stage is generally to research: ergo: "ask the experienced".

My initial concept is for three days on trail, making approximately 50mi/day with intentional time for side trips to see mines, lava tubes and forts, as well as to allow for late-morning departure (presuming chilly mornings) and setting camp well before dark, since I am currently thinking to make this a winter excursion. I'll bracket the trail with a day/night in Laughlin after transit from San Diego, and then another perhaps at Calico campground after coming off Mojave Rd, before cutting south to Big Bear possibly via Ord Mtn., which I see down there on a map...

I've got Casebier's book, and I have been watching some YouTube. I'm not sure where some of the excellent campsites I'm seeing near the Mojave Rd are, not sure about camping at Calico other than that it's close and I can take my dog into the "park", and I don't know anything about the route to Big Bear across the desert there if I head for Cushionberry as opposed to cutting west into Apple Valley to ascend via Coxey/3N14 (as opposed to Herse Springs/3N17 which I cannot climb easily) to Fawnskin and my cabin in Whispering Forest for hot showers and such.

That all said, dear readers: if you've got advice, anecdote or interest, I'd love to read it and appreciate it all.

Attachments

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
Okay, here's my update: based on the rains, mudding of Soda Lake and some cold weather --combined with some update/repairs to my 210k mi Trooper that I haven't gotten quite done, I have pushed back my traverse of the Mojave Road to March, at which time I plan to join the Crossoverlanding group from Facebook/Youtube (JonDZ) for most of my trip. I'm going to extend on either side of the group event to add a day at the Colorado River with my kayak, and one or more days on the west end for Calico mines/4-wheeling and my Big Bear stop.

Interested Overland Bounders should speak up and check it out!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Okay, here's my update: based on the rains, mudding of Soda Lake and some cold weather --combined with some update/repairs to my 210k mi Trooper that I haven't gotten quite done, I have pushed back my traverse of the Mojave Road to March, at which time I plan to join the Crossoverlanding group from Facebook/Youtube (JonDZ) for most of my trip. I'm going to extend on either side of the group event to add a day at the Colorado River with my kayak, and one or more days on the west end for Calico mines/4-wheeling and my Big Bear stop.

Interested Overland Bounders should speak up and check it out!
Overland Bound does two Trail Guardian Events in the Mojave Preserve each year. Send me a message and I will give you a great GPX file and any info you might want about the preserve. @Kent R or email Kent@OverlandBound.com

Reactions: Carnage_95YJ

Tom Cole

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Weatherford, Texas, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Cole
Member #

I'm very much interested in the Mojave Trail; it's on my bucket list. Been seeing and reading about it for a few years. Unfortunately, I already have a March trip planned. I'll keep my eye on this one if my other trip changes, I'm on-board.

Reactions: EBasil

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
Tom, I have to believe that, if we keep posting about such treks, not only will more actually happen but we'll be able to read about/join up with them.

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
Well, the group we were going to traverse Mojave Road with swelled to massive numbers, so my son and I opted to solo el camino del Mojave. Our plan to good around with our kayak in Laughlin/Bullhead City was literally "blown out", so we jumped on trail and made Ft. Paiute for our first evening. We met another solo rig there, a nice gent in a Tacoma, but we had the fort to ourselves for sunset onward.

The next morning, we set our sights on an enjoyable roll through the desert and then up into the New York Mtns to seek a particular campsite. We had a great drive, saw absolutely no one and found the camp empty and mostly clean (we left it real darn clean...Scout habits).

Day three, we descended back down to check out springs, the rock house, cinder mine, Watson's Wash, lava tubes, zipped across Soda Lake with a stop at a pile of rocks and into Afton Cyn for the evening.

Our last day was a simple drive out Afton Cyn, two shallow water crossings, and then a run through the desert all the way to the actual end of The Road, before using dirt to head over to Yermo.

We had intended to go up and drive through the arch above Calico, but upon arrival realized that the Trooper is too tall when loaded and I was unwilling to unload...haha!

Attachments