Has anyone attached legs to a hitch cargo carrier?

• HTML tutorial

p8ntbill2

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Lake, MI, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Burley
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I have a steel cargo carrier that I carry my cooler and totes on. I would to utilize it as a table when my camp is setup. Has anyone got a good solution to attach legs?

Thanks for the help,
Bill

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

As I look at this you could fashion some angle iron legs that rest in the carrier, angle iron cross braces nuts and bolts as state above and you are all set. Then flip it over when you use it as a table. No worries that way of the legs deploying as you roll down the road. Though it might need a good cleaning before use depending on road conditions. :)

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I toyed with this exact idea when I used to use a hitch cargo rack for camping. I was thinking of using some adjustable length Ikea desk legs, (like this) mounted to a hinged piece, attached to the bottom of the rack. When traveling, the legs can be folded in (under) and bungeed in place. I have some ideas for making the hinged piece, without welding or complex fabrication, but it's too difficult to try and explain in text.

Ultimately I never pursued the idea because we moved away from using the rack. Also, using it as a table seemed to be more of a pain that it would be worth. It would be heavy and awkward, and for the surface area it would provide, I was better off with a folding aluminum table, which is much easier to deal with, lighter, better usable surface, and less expensive than the materials I would use for the rack. I ended up with something like this:

Reactions: p8ntbill2

p8ntbill2

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Lake, MI, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Burley
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Here's what I came up with. Used 1/2 bolts they fit in the tire down hole the best. Legs are 24" good hieght so I can sit in my camp chair and access it. Thank you for all the input, it all helped me out a lot.0912181254a.jpeg0912181254.jpeg0912181253.jpeg0912181317.jpeg

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

I was wondering.. Why not, instead of legs, make up a adapter that goes in your hitch receiver that sets your carrier at table height? Haul stuff without the adapter. When you stop, empty the carrier, pull it out of the receiver, install the adapter into the receiver, reinstall the carrier to the end of the adapter.

No?

-jim lee

p8ntbill2

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Lake, MI, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Burley
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I was wondering.. Why not, instead of legs, make up a adapter that goes in your hitch receiver that sets your carrier at table height? Haul stuff without the adapter. When you stop, empty the carrier, pull it out of the receiver, install the adapter into the receiver, reinstall the carrier to the end of the adapter.

No?

-jim lee
New to overlanding, but when I travel I like to setup a base camp and explore from there. But the hitch adapter could be my next project. Geat idea, thank you.

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

Whatever design you use, I'd probably want a way to level the legs for uneven ground. Perhaps...

View attachment 68028View attachment 68029
Not trying to hijack - but I definitely need a set of those levelers.

Back on subject - if you can weld, a piece of tubing on each corner and corresponding tubes that fit in would be the ticket -- then use those levelers on them :)

Reactions: 9Mike2 and lhoffm4

Batchild101

Rank I

Contributor III

Hudson, FL, USA
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
LYNCH
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4HNR
Thank you for the inspiration, going to build a kitchenette on my carrier and will do something like this but will add a way to use wheels on one side when legs down. So can move around camp.

Reactions: lhoffm4

Tarditi

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Haddonfield, NJ
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Tarditi
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Infantry
I tried it - I had all sorts of ideas like telescoping legs (like a ez-up canopy), folding legs, hinged legs, etc. didn't like any of the designs or prototypes I came up with.

I ended up taking mine and using fender washers bolts and locknuts, attached a set of folding table leg assemblies (Waddell Folding Banquet Table Legs ~ $35) and used quickfists to keep them from opening accidentally when on the road or trail.

It worked OK. I liked having the dual-purpose, but ended up not using it as much as I thought I would.
The table was heavy and the elevated rack gives a high center of gravity.
I now prefer roll-top camp tables (the kind that fold up the size of a camp chair).

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
old post, but for anyone who likes the hitch mount cargo rack, get one that swings out and it can be used as a table, etc without having to remove it from the receiver. i use mine with a deck system i built for the tundra and i swing the rack away, drop the tailgate and i have a work area next to me as well as the ice chest right next to me as i cook on the tailgate. quick and easy with nothing to move or set up. i bought the swing-away carrier new for $300....

IMG_0454 (3).JPG

P1000387 (3).JPG

they are pretty heavy to use as a portable table. i guess if i had to mount legs, i would use 1/2" pipe flanges screwed at the corners and then use threaded pipe as the legs so i could remove them easily and store the legs behind the seat or somewhere out of the way...

Last edited: