Has anyone attached legs to a hitch cargo carrier?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

p8ntbill2

Rank I

Traveler I

Terre Huate, Indiana
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Burley
Member #

I have a steel cargo carrier that I carry my cooler and totes on. I would to utilize it as a table when my camp is setup. Has anyone got a good solution to attach legs?

Thanks for the help,
Bill

JimInBC

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

As I look at this you could fashion some angle iron legs that rest in the carrier, angle iron cross braces nuts and bolts as state above and you are all set. Then flip it over when you use it as a table. No worries that way of the legs deploying as you roll down the road. Though it might need a good cleaning before use depending on road conditions. :)

Reactions: p8ntbill2

Craig M

Rank VI
Supporter

Advocate I

Euless, Texas
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I toyed with this exact idea when I used to use a hitch cargo rack for camping. I was thinking of using some adjustable length Ikea desk legs, (like this) mounted to a hinged piece, attached to the bottom of the rack. When traveling, the legs can be folded in (under) and bungeed in place. I have some ideas for making the hinged piece, without welding or complex fabrication, but it's too difficult to try and explain in text.

Ultimately I never pursued the idea because we moved away from using the rack. Also, using it as a table seemed to be more of a pain that it would be worth. It would be heavy and awkward, and for the surface area it would provide, I was better off with a folding aluminum table, which is much easier to deal with, lighter, better usable surface, and less expensive than the materials I would use for the rack. I ended up with something like this:

jim lee

Rank V

Influencer II

Anacortes, WA
Member #

I was wondering.. Why not, instead of legs, make up a adapter that goes in your hitch receiver that sets your carrier at table height? Haul stuff without the adapter. When you stop, empty the carrier, pull it out of the receiver, install the adapter into the receiver, reinstall the carrier to the end of the adapter.

No?

-jim lee

p8ntbill2

Rank I

Traveler I

Terre Huate, Indiana
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Burley
Member #

I was wondering.. Why not, instead of legs, make up a adapter that goes in your hitch receiver that sets your carrier at table height? Haul stuff without the adapter. When you stop, empty the carrier, pull it out of the receiver, install the adapter into the receiver, reinstall the carrier to the end of the adapter.

No?

-jim lee
New to overlanding, but when I travel I like to setup a base camp and explore from there. But the hitch adapter could be my next project. Geat idea, thank you.