Harrison to Pemberton FSR 11Aug2018 - (2019 update)

• HTML tutorial

Tfeldtaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Edmonton, AB
First Name
Tn
Last Name
Feld.
Member #

I've never been to clear creek, no. What rig are you driving? I was thinking if you end up on West Harrison next Saturday, I might be able to pop up to meet you at Bremner Creek to try to help with the water crossing. I know two possible routes for it, and I could even potentially help tow/snatch you out if you got stuck.
I'll be driving a '15 Tacoma. Stock height but I got Ko2's, hence sticking to FSR's and not doing anything super crazy as I'll be traveling alone. If you are able to meet there that would be awesome as River crossings even with good water levels can be risky! I've done up to the tops of my tires before but i'll be more weighted down with canopy and kit.

I plan on coming down via Lillooet - Gold Bridge - Pemberton, so I'll msg you on here or via PM and see if we can meetup there!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I'll be driving a '15 Tacoma. Stock height but I got Ko2's, hence sticking to FSR's and not doing anything super crazy as I'll be traveling alone. If you are able to meet there that would be awesome as River crossings even with good water levels can be risky! I've done up to the tops of my tires before but i'll be more weighted down with canopy and kit.

I plan on coming down via Lillooet - Gold Bridge - Pemberton, so I'll msg you on here or via PM and see if we can meetup there!
Sounds good. At this moment, I wouldn't recommend trying the crossing without a lift, but the water level can change significantly in not a lot of time, so who knows. Have you done your diff and tranny breathers?

I think it would take me about an hour to an hour and a half to get up to Bremner Creek, so try to give me as much lead time as you can. Also I have five kids so whether I can come or not will really depend on what day. We'll see if we can make it happen.

Oh, and if you're interested, I'll bring my boat and we can drop down into Hale Creek Rec Site and motor across to check out long island bay and I can show you a cool abandoned cabin.

Last edited:

Tfeldtaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Edmonton, AB
First Name
Tn
Last Name
Feld.
Member #

I currently haven’t done my the diff/tranny breathers.

Ill make sure I give you as much warning as possible! I do have have some hard dates I want to be in Vancouver for but if I have time checking out the Long Island bay and cabin would be awesome! Thanks for the offer!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I currently haven’t done my the diff/tranny breathers.

Ill make sure I give you as much warning as possible! I do have have some hard dates I want to be in Vancouver for but if I have time checking out the Long Island bay and cabin would be awesome! Thanks for the offer!
No worries, keep me posted and enjoy the journey! :)

jcongo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Whatcom
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Congo
Hey there!

Yes, actually the old bridge has been cleared, new support beams have been laid, and apparently some road improvement work is being done on either side of the bridge. It seems like the bridge is coming soon. As for the water crossings, presently there's been a ton of rain, so I think the water level is about 2.5 to 3 feet deep and around 20 feet across. I got the intel from a FB group I follow regarding this road. I keep a close eye on it, because I'd absolutely love to run this trail from start to finish.

If I hear of the bridge getting finished, I'll post an update here.

Cheers!
I’m interested if you think this is passable by motorcycle at the moment? From what I can tell it was when the old bridge was still in place. Maybe it is not an option now that the old bridge has been removed.
Thanks.

Last edited:

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I’m interested if you think this is passable by motorcycle at the moment? From what I can tell it was when the old bridge was still in place. Maybe it is not an option. Ow that the old bridge has been removed.
Thanks.
Can't be sure right now, but if I get any more info, I'll update.

Tfeldtaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Edmonton, AB
First Name
Tn
Last Name
Feld.
Member #

Can't be sure right now, but if I get any more info, I'll update.

I ended up leaving Edm early and finding the drive a bit faster to complete than expected so I currently am just outside of Lilleot and planning to stay the night somewhere by Pemberton tonight.

So due to that I plan to tackle the Harrison FSR tomorrow, I’ll be prepared to turn around if I have to but If I get across I’ll let you know.

Also jcongo, if I am able to cross it I’ll let you know the conditions so you can make a judgement on if you can cross it. If I remember I’ll get some pics too

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I ended up leaving Edm early and finding the drive a bit faster to complete than expected so I currently am just outside of Lilleot and planning to stay the night somewhere by Pemberton tonight.

So due to that I plan to tackle the Harrison FSR tomorrow, I’ll be prepared to turn around if I have to but If I get across I’ll let you know.

Also jcongo, if I am able to cross it I’ll let you know the conditions so you can make a judgement on if you can cross it. If I remember I’ll get some pics too
Hey, I'll see if I can zip up there tomorrow morning to meet you at bremner creek. It's definitely a good plan to have someone to spot and assist if needed.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Hey, unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to make it tomorrow as we have two doctors appointments. I will keep trying to arrange for a babysitter, but it's not looking promising.

Do you have CB radio or GMRS by chance?

EDIT: Looks like you needn't worry! They put the bridge on already! FB_IMG_1563334736393.jpg
Outstanding news! I may actually try to zip up there the day after tomorrow. In the event you find yourself in Chilliwack sometime in the next day or two and want some intro to the back country, I may be able to show you some spots in the Chilliwack River Valley.

Last edited:

Tfeldtaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Edmonton, AB
First Name
Tn
Last Name
Feld.
Member #

Hey I just saw that also. Perfect timing for the bridge to be put in.

I unfortunately do not have a CB. It’s another thing on my long list of purchases to make!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Hey all, I'm most likely going to be doing a run from Harrison to Pemberton and back again tomorrow, starting in the fairly early AM. Anyone want to join?

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Okay, I'm going tomorrow morning if anyone is interested. Shoot a PM or post on here and we'll setup a time to meet. Most likely 1000h at Sasquatch Inn, but perhaps a bit earlier. Hope someone can come along!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Well, I actually made the trip today. Went all the way up to Tipella, the little first nations villages just past the end of Harrison lake. I started my day by driving up to Ten Mile Bay. The entrance was a fun little technical trail that opens to an amazing wild camp spot. I launched my ill fated boat trip from here.
IMG_20190830_094916267.jpg

IMG_20190830_113934411_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190830_101034358.jpg

I had planned to spend most of the day on the boat, but unfortunately about half way to Long island, I noticed the boat was taking on water. Leak in the floor near the back. I decided the prudent thing was to turn around, and darn good thing I did, because the motor started to die too. It got slower and chuggier until it died completely. Very frustrating, but I made it back safe. What was also frustrating was all the trash left everywhere around the area. When I got back on shore, I spent about half an hour filling my trasharoo almost to bursting.
IMG_20190830_112330731.jpg

Since I had lots of time and no boat, I decided to explore further north with the goal of getting past the formerly washed out (now replaced) bridge. I had lunch at 20 Mile Bay and picked up more garbage.
IMG_20190830_122657218_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190830_124550563.jpg
I kept going and eventually reached the new bridge. Just for fun I checked the water crossing. It was so low it would have been a piece of cake.
IMG_20190830_133101852.jpg
Almost immediately after the new bridge, the road becomes steep and very sketch. Even some not insignificant rock steps. Careful choice of line and controlled momentum are important. I bent my prop shaft safety strap on a rock and had to get out the BFH. No serious drama though. The rest of the drive to Tipella had awesome views.
IMG_20190830_145325322_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190830_152016966_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190830_164721940.jpg

One of the locals informed me that it's about 2-2.5h from Tipella to Pemberton, so obviously the road is way better maintained and wider north of the village.

I was running short of time, so I headed back for home, and because apparently it was my day for stuff to go pear shaped, I got a nail puncture through my right rear tire. Threw the spare on and drove home. Hopefully I can get it repaired tomorrow.

Cheers all!

mike00

Rank 0

Contributor I

Whistler, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hamilton
Anyone know if the FSR is passable in winter? I know they plow the northern end as I've been to skookumchuck in the winter before (from the Pemberton end). I'd like to make a trip from Pemby to Harrison Hot Springs sometime soon, but I'm concerned about the southern end of the road and snow.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Anyone know if the FSR is passable in winter? I know they plow the northern end as I've been to skookumchuck in the winter before (from the Pemberton end). I'd like to make a trip from Pemby to Harrison Hot Springs sometime soon, but I'm concerned about the southern end of the road and snow.
I don't believe there's much if any snow right now. I'm on a FB group for the road and they're saying it's pretty good right now. My advice is hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Reactions: mike00