Launch Member

Contributor II

Havelock, NC, USA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Askew
Member #

This weekend the wife and I were blessed with 2.5 days kid free! The In-Laws were keen on watching the two boys so we took off! We loaded the dog in the Ford and hooked up our trailer with RTT and headed for Hanging Rock (4hrs from us). We decided to stay in the State Park due to convenience.
Well, the showers were closed when we got there, no biggie (we disperse camp quite a bit and can do without hot showers for a day or two). We set up camp and cooked dinner. Temps were in the 20's and there was snow on the ground the first night. My 20 degree bag did wonders with me just rocking skivees. My wife's 20 degree bag.... not so much.... despite the layers she was rocking! Haha.
Day 2 rolls around and we are greeted by a ranger around 9am. Ice and snow were in the forecast and they wanted to know if we were staying. We said yes.... and could see his disappointment. He then informed us of trees falling and other dangers to which we were aware. He left... but was visibly upset. Around noon and 2nd Ranger approached us.... same warnings and urged us to leave. We decided to leave to avoid simply being bothered again. At this point in time there was no where to go.
We booked a hotel for the night just to enjoy being alone and remained in the area. The hotel was not "as advertised" and I'd slept in better conditions on all 3 of my deployments! Haha. We would have been better setting our RTT up in a Wal-Mart parking lot.
Day 3 arrives, and.... no snow..... barely any ice!!!! Should have stayed in Camp!!! On the bright side.... we didnt have to put the tent away wet or in the rain!
The thing is... you have to always be flexible and make the best of all situations! I do not fault the Ranger's, as a Firefighter/Paramedic I understand their job and where they are coming from. My wife and I were just happy to get out and about! You dont have to travel far for an adventure.... you just have to get outside!

Happy Trails Everyone,
Dale

Attachments

Reactions: Staticline40

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Sounds like a nice weekend. Guess those rangers were hoping not to have to make the rounds through ugly weather.