Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I love my hammock (Eno Sleep System) and I take it with me everywhere. The problem I have is actually sleeping in it. I really need to save and get an underquilt rather than trying to get into a sleeping bag.
I have a thermarest Argo blanket that I use when I am on my cot or sleeping in my hammock and love it.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I LOVE hammock life, I made the switch at the beginning of this year. After two trips sleeping in the hammock in overnight mid-30F temps, I was informed about under quilts, holy crap, makes all the difference! Now that the temps have warmed up I don't even need a sleeping bag most of the time

Reactions: RootedWanderers

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I love hammock camping and got my wife into it earlier this year. The only trouble we have is finding suitable trees!

I need to make some portable stands so I can ditch the backup tent.

Finally got a top quilt last month (20* goose down) and cannot wait to try it out in a couple of days!

Reactions: brien

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
I love hammock camping and got my wife into it earlier this year. The only trouble we have is finding suitable trees!

I need to make some portable stands so I can ditch the backup tent.

Finally got a top quilt last month (20* goose down) and cannot wait to try it out in a couple of days!
Did you find a suitable solution to the stands? I was recently given a hammock (I wouldn't use it camping though) that I would love to set up in the spare bedroom. I would like to make it easily portable from room to room though, so I was thinking that some sort of DIY project would be my best bet. Maybe a Turtledog stand set up of some sort.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
Turtle dog is one of the easiest to build and is well suited to using indoors. Here’s another one that has gotten a lot of great feedback. I’m planning to eventually make one of these also for use when I’m out with the Jeep and don’t have trees nearby. Good luck. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/114799-Super-simple-strong-fairly-cheap-very-quick-bipod-style-stand?highlight=stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was not able to open the photos in the forum you linked me to. But looking at their build list and some of the comments, is it a pipe stand? Kinda looks like a goal post?

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

But looking at their build list and some of the comments, is it a pipe stand?
Yeah, think about the old A frame swing sets when we were kids. This uses either the top pole from a chain link fence or EMT and recreates that A frame. It uses fittings from tarps.com to make joining the pieces together easy. I like it because a few of the build photos I’ve seen show how to make it pack down fairly compact. Important to me because I drive a wrangler TJ 2 door. Space is tight, so I’m frugal about what comes with me.

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
Yeah, think about the old A frame swing sets when we were kids. This uses either the top pole from a chain link fence or EMT and recreates that A frame. It uses fittings from tarps.com to make joining the pieces together easy. I like it because a few of the build photos I’ve seen show how to make it pack down fairly compact. Important to me because I drive a wrangler TJ 2 door. Space is tight, so I’m frugal about what comes with me.

Makes sense to me. Probably light weight as well.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Did you find a suitable solution to the stands? I was recently given a hammock (I wouldn't use it camping though) that I would love to set up in the spare bedroom. I would like to make it easily portable from room to room though, so I was thinking that some sort of DIY project would be my best bet. Maybe a Turtledog stand set up of some sort.
@brianb2 covered it but I intended on building the Turtledog stands.. Just haven't done it yet.

Reactions: max.grun

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Found a new stand I’m going to give a try. This guy came up with a really elegant and simple design that can be replicated using a lot of different materials. I’ll probably make mine from either EMT or 2x2s. I’ve seen examples of it being built in bamboo, fence post, and more exotic stuff. Looks like a natural for use by a vehicle since only one side needs to be staked down, or attached to the vehicle in my case.