Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I recently bought a TYT TH-7800 but quickly discovered It wasn’t as easy to use as I’d hope. Within a day I ordered the Kenwood TM-V71A. Difference between night and day as far as programming, display, clarity, etc.

I am now waiting for TNC3 unit and data cable. I should be able to use the TNC3 with my Boafeng HT. At least that’s what I saw in YouTube videos lol.

TYT-TH-7800

AFCB8917-BCCA-4239-8880-968320DBD709.jpeg

TM-V71A

0DBF6CDF-27DE-4329-B6CB-ECD6485011C3.jpeg

Reactions: J.W. and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Congrats! Yay Kenwood :) I have a TNC3 that I played with for a few days and then loaned to a friend and then pandemic... Impressed with the TNC3 and look forward to its return!

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Congrats! Yay Kenwood :) I have a TNC3 that I played with for a few days and then loaned to a friend and then pandemic... Impressed with the TNC3 and look forward to its return!
Thanks! I’m getting sucked in into Ham radios lol. My TNC3 was just shipped today.

Reactions: Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I recently bought a TYT TH-7800 but quickly discovered It wasn’t as easy to use as I’d hope. Within a day I ordered the Kenwood TM-V71A. Difference between night and day as far as programming, display, clarity, etc.

I am now waiting for TNC3 unit and data cable. I should be able to use the TNC3 with my Boafeng HT. At least that’s what I saw in YouTube videos lol.

TYT-TH-7800

View attachment 157434

TM-V71A

View attachment 157435
I am running a TNC3 on my Baofeng UV-5R paired in the rig to my iPhone for APRS, and at home paired to my windows Laptop for ARES packer Radio. Works like a charm. Setting it up on Windows via Bluetooth is kinda of a pitta, but once you have it configured, it works like a champ.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I am running a TNC3 on my Baofeng UV-5R paired in the rig to my iPhone for APRS, and at home paired to my windows Laptop for ARES packer Radio. Works like a charm. Setting it up on Windows via Bluetooth is kinda of a pitta, but once you have it configured, it works like a champ.
Yup I’ve heard all good things about using APRS. Will be using with my new Kenwood as well as my Boafeng BF-F8HP handheld.

• Love
Reactions: Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yup I’ve heard all good things about using APRS. Will be using with my new Kenwood as well as my Boafeng BF-F8HP handheld.
Just make sure to get the appropriate cables as well... the TNC3 still requires a cable to connect to the radio’s mic and speaker.