Ham Radio Operators... Mobile, HT, or Both?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

What kind of transceiver is in your Overland Rig

• Mobile (VHF and/or UHF)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Handheld (VHF and/or UHF)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Both

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lars

Rank V

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I'd like to get a feel for the Hams in the group. Do you Overland with a Mobile VHF/UHF radio, A handheld VHF/UHF Radio, or both?

Then, if you would be willing to explain the reasoning you've used for making the decision you have.

Lars

Rank V

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I'll start.... I have all of the above in the truck at all times.

My Mobile VHF/UHF is a cross band repeater, so it makes relaying through the truck from an HT possible dramatically improving the performance of my HT when I'm hiking away from the truck.

jkxranger

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham Callsign
KC7CJB
I normally carry both, the HT is my backup radio. I always want to be prepared in the case of one radio failing.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

KD7WCD

Rank V
Founder 500

Off-Road Ranger I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham Callsign
KD7WCD
I always have both so if when I get out of the truck I can still call out and talk back to the group. This can be a life saver in a recovery or scouting situation. And let's face it most of us start out with an HT first. Plus.... it is all about the toys right!

1Louder

Rank VI

Steward I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
Another in the both category. I would like to figure out crossband repeater function on my Kenwood 710 to make the handheld even more useful.