Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

What is a good study guide for The Ham radio certification and how do you find a test site?

FJRpilot

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

El Paso
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Scott
Member #

What is a good study guide for The Ham radio certification and how do you find a test site?
I would suggest that you pickup a copy of the ARRL study guide for the Technician license from Amazon.

I would also suggest that you register for the online HAM study site “http://hamstudy.org”. This will really help you commit the material to memory. Lastly I would recommend that watch the YouTube video series from Dave Casler,

These should be watched in conjunction with reading each of the chapters in the ARRL study guide.

You can find local clubs that offer testing (typically once a month) by going to the ARRL web site or even from the “Hamstudy” web site.

If you do these three things, you will get you license in 45-60 days. (I did...)

Best of luck...

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I would suggest that you pickup a copy of the ARRL study guide for the Technician license from Amazon.

I would also suggest that you register for the online HAM study site “http://hamstudy.org”. This will really help you commit the material to memory. Lastly I would recommend that watch the YouTube video series from Dave Casler,

These should be watched in conjunction with reading each of the chapters in the ARRL study guide.

You can find local clubs that offer testing (typically once a month) by going to the ARRL web site or even from the “Hamstudy” web site.

If you do these three things, you will get you license in 45-60 days. (I did...)

Best of luck...
Thank you

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I used an online practice test site. Can't remember which one but it was free. Used that on and off during my free time for about 2 weeks and passed first go round.

wvjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8CD
I used Ham Test Online. It's a paysite but worked very well for me. I used it for Tech through Extra.

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

Tex.Proud

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, TX, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Gills
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K4TXN
Service Branch
Army Veteran
Hamstudy.org is a good practice site. Free and covers all possible test questions. The Ham that runs it also has signalstuff.com where he makes ans sells some of the best HT antennas.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Perhaps this will be of some help.

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
To find a testing location/Date, start HERE. It’s not a complete list but it might have you covered.
Thank you for this link, I was able to find a club here in my home town that does testing. I found out that a verymgood friend of mine passed his technical licenses last month, so this gives me a person I know and trust to ask questions and learn if HAM is really something I am interested in

Reactions: J.W.

Dolf

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sheridan, Wyoming, Sheridan, WY, USA
First Name
Randolph
Last Name
Urick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WY7RF
If you have a halfway good memory, I would suggest this website:

It has all of the questions, but only the one correct answer. Students will go through the test, and one of the four possibilities will stand out more than the others. Many people have come up to me and thanked me for the suggestion. Good luck.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

It has all of the questions, but only the one correct answer. Students will go through the test, and one of the four possibilities will stand out more than the others. Many people have come up to me and thanked me for the suggestion. Good luck.
Thank you, I’ll check it out

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I used Hamstudy.org (and No-Nonsense Study Guides - KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog) and agree with your method. I see people recommend just taking the practice test over and over until you get it, but to me that just puts ALL of the answers in my head...right, wrong, or indifferent.
If you study the questions and correct answers only then the correct answer jumps right out at you when you take the test. 1575908074931.png

Also Dolf, welcome to OB from Oklahoma.

Last edited:

Rowyco1526

Rank I

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Wilson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSZ
I used an iOS app called Ham Radio Exam - Tech and General. I passed both my tech and general on the same day. it made the test really easy, but it didn't help me in understanding the curriculum. The tech level was pretty understandable for me, but I had to go back and use my library card to get more comfortable with the actual application of principles that were involved with the general license.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Brad (@Rowyco1526 ) , welcome from Oklahoma.
Hope you can join our Friday night Echolink net.
Time : 5:30PM Pacific Standard Time or 17:30 hours Pacific Standard Time
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130
If you don't have access to an Echolink/DMR/Allstar capable repeater don't worry, many of us use the Echolink app.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups. Keep an eye out for a East Valley meet up in Gilbert.
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.