Ham radio antenna shock spring?

• HTML tutorial

chexmix

Rank III

Advocate II

Bay Area
I have a tri-band antenna currently on a magnet mount. You can probably guess, with a full size overland rig, every tree wants to nock my antenna off. I've looked for NMO springs but I can't find any. There are UHF springs, most are labeled CB.

I'd like to move to a permanent drill through mount on my front cowl (drive side, opposite of the stock radio antenna). I can get out and fold it over, but that's a real pain if I'm keeping pace with a group. Also saw the powered folding option, not really interested when I can manual fold for free.

Any uhf or nmo mount shock springs that don't add load out there? Pass through would be awesome, just need a mount to the truck still.

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

I know this is old, but I was amazed while looking around at some of the antennas. I too thought a spring would be necessary and it sure is under my 4' cb Firestick antenna but the guy grabbed some 5/8 wave 2m antenna and pretty much bent it in a loop and it sprung right back. I don't recall the brand but if you shop around for a whip like that there is no reason to have a spring or a folding antenna. Way better than the standard whips for the magnetic mounts and it was fairly cheap too.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I use a stainless hood/fender nmo mount so I didn’t have to drill any holes in my body. I started with a comet antenna with a spring but moved to a Larsen without. The thing takes an absolute beating and I’ve had zero problems.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I have lost Comet, Kenwood, and Diamond antennas in the past. Washboard roads loosen them up fast. I now carry 2 spares and they are cheap Tram antennas. The one on my jeep has stayed put the longest and I check it periodically. Today at work I lost the element on my dual band coming down from a microwave radio site. Luckily I noticed it when I hit the pavement, drove all the way back up and found it laying on the side of the road. It a cheapo also, but no spares in the work truck.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk