First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Brunetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSQ
Hi all,
Im trying to draft a document for myself and some friends to establish some coms channel preferences. I would appreciate any help or insight anyone has for which channels may be designated for off road vehicle to vehicle, or maybe which channels people prefer and also emergency channels as well.
Thanks!
Anthony.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Here are the OLB preferred channels.
Comms.PNG

146.460 is mentioned on multiple forums as the offroad ham frequency.
146.520 would be a good channel to have in case you wanted to try and contact someone outside of your group along with any repeater frequencies in your normal area of operations.
GMRS, really whatever channel your group decides on. There is an "emergency" channel but it's a repeater pair so it would require a repeater to be in range which isn't likely.
CB, most of the local Jeep clubs in my area run channel 4. Channel 9 is emergency, if someone is actually monitoring it.

Last edited:

youpers

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

La Selva Beach, CA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Brunetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSQ
cool, thanks guys. thats a good start, I will pass on the info, although I thought someone made a document on here with preferred channels for offroad coms.

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
More thoughts on radios:

Some thoughts on radios for overlanding....

CB: low power, sometimes crowded, although the throngs seem to be fading....

GMRS: Much higher power, relatively new, not in widespread use yet...

2M: distance limited, but useful, higher power...

UHF 70cm: Also distance limited, but higher power

All the ham bands can be used through repeaters to get out, depending on where you go.

Handhelds and CB can be very useful within the group/convoy/camo/expedition. Probably a good idea if at least one truck in the group has a ham setup to reach out over long distances, in case assistance needs to be called in.

Based on the previous thought, handhelds are very useful for the local area comms within the group. For that use, does brand or band really matter?

You can get a good CB at Walmart for about $35, so that pretty much takes care of itself for its usefulness. Who needs more? Again, handhelds can also be useful for intra-convoy use.

An ideal setup for those into the coms might be a mobile dual band ham setup (about $150, give or take, as a minimum), a handheld CB and some handheld dual bands to hand out in the group to people without radios. I guess a GMRS would also be useful in that context, whther mobile or handheld.

For everything except the CB listed here, licensing is a factor. There are threads on here on how to get licensed. In my thread "Getting Licensed" I gave out a link for ham band study guide (it gives all the basics including theory - enough to make the license understandable) and flash cards/practice test. It will get someone going nicely.

Reactions: brien

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Reactions: brien

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
Unfortunately that article could be updated.
FRS is now 2 watts.
GMRS license is now good for 10 years.
FRS and GMRS now share frequencies except for repeater inputs.
I also didn't see any frequency recommendations. Perhaps I missed it?

Did you mean to link to this thread? https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/overland-bound-comms-frequency-guide.18078/

This was the piece I noticed on freqs:

"
I configure all of my amateur VHF/UHF radios with the same basic configuration.

My configuration contains 37 2M ham simplex frequencies that have been “channelized” based on the ARRL Band Plan and popular regional channel spacing plans of 15kHz, 20kHz, and 30kHz. The 2M frequencies that happen to fit into all three of the common spacing plans are in memory locations 3-8 and have shortened names for simplicity, using one of these “channels” should safely match any regional spacing plan in the US, and makes for a quick way to choose a "private" channel instead of tying up the calling frequency (146.520) or the unofficial "overland calling frequency" (146.460).

X640 (146.400)
X646 (146.460)
X658 (146.580)
X742 (147.420)
X748 (147.480)
X754 (147.540)

Memory locations 9-36 contain the rest of the possible frequency “channels” when you take the available 2M simplex frequency range and divide it up by 15, 20, and 30kHz chunks, the spacing is indicated at the end of the memory name with a /1 (15kHz), a /2 (20 kHz), or a /3 (30kHz) since the Baofeng limits the name to 7 characters. I do this mostly for scanning purposes, I can quickly monitor the whole simplex range without scanning every possible frequency.
http://www.arrl.org/band-plan"

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
cool, thanks guys. thats a good start, I will pass on the info, although I thought someone made a document on here with preferred channels for offroad coms.
EDIT: wow, i was just a few minutes too slow, already answered above as well!

Yep, it's linked at the top of the Forum index and is stickied in the Overland Bound Boot Camp section. Here's a direct link as well: Overland Bound Comms Frequency Guide

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
Hi all,
Im trying to draft a document for myself and some friends to establish some coms channel preferences. I would appreciate any help or insight anyone has for which channels may be designated for off road vehicle to vehicle, or maybe which channels people prefer and also emergency channels as well.
Thanks!
Anthony.

Heres how the "big boys" do it - easily adap[table to all our uses...

https://training.fema.gov/emiweb/is/icsresource/assets/ics forms/ics form 205, incident radio communications plan (v3).pdf

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
I saw that much, guess I was expecting something more than a handful of 2m frequencies.
We are having on OB committee of radio ops this week. Maybe the freq plan could be codified and posted. Ill try to verify what has been published and so forth....

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
For 2m Amateur we use:

• On-Road 146.520 For linking up / listening. Then move to 146.500 for talking at length or veh to veh in route coms.
  • Off-Road 146.460. If occupied +/- One click of the dial.
520 to meet, 500 to chat, 460 to hit the tail.

For CB:

• 19 to connect, 17 to chat or veh to veh.
  • Off road, 16.
Start at 19, skip the french channel to go to 17, hit the trail, 16.

youpers

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

La Selva Beach, CA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Brunetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSQ
Okay, so Im trying to take this all in and organize it into some type of cohesive/holistic chunk of info. Tell me what you guys think so far:
Here is what I got:

Amature Radio or HAM for off road use
(There’s a lot of info on this but I have to start somewhere)
2M | VHF 144-148 MHz
70CM | UHF 420-450 MHz (good for repeaters)
Range: varies quite a bit depending on radio, transmit power, antenna, and geography. Typical range of a handheld on the trail is realistically around 2-6 miles, but with clean line of sight, a good setup, and higher power output, distances of well over 25 miles can be obtained.
0.5-5w typical with a handheld / Up to 50w typical on mobile style units / Higher output possible on base station units / Higher outputs possible with amplification
CB 11M Band (Citizen’s Band) | 40 channels within the 27 MHz band
Range: CB power output is limited to 4 watts, so in a typical trail situation, the range is realistically about 3-4 miles.
GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) | UHF 462.5500-462.7250 MHz
GMRS license required (no test, $65/5yr, covers immediate family)
Range: Similar to the VHF amateur radios, a typical range for GMRS on the trail is likely somewhere around 2-6 miles.
5-50W TX max
MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service) | VHF 151.82-154.60 MHz
Open consumer unlicensed use
2W TX limit
FRS (Family Radio Service) | UHF 462.5625-462.7125 MHz, 467.5625-467.7125 MHz
Range: FRS radios (which do not require the additional FCC license) are much lower power, and therefore the range is significantly reduced, making them less desirable.
0.5W TX max
Integrated antenna only
NOAA: 162.550, 162.400, 162.475, 162.425, 162.450, 162.500, 162.525

Channel Preferences:

For 2M Amateur use:

VHF 144-148 MHz
146.520 (National Simplex Calling) For linking up / listening. Then move to 146.500 for talking at length or veh to veh in route coms.
146.460 (the unofficial "overland calling frequency").
If occupied +/- One click of the dial.
This frequency is the generally accepted off-road calling frequency. Amateur operator etiquette means that this common calling frequency should be used primarily for initial contact. Any extended conversations or group use, like communication while on a trip or a trial run, should likely be moved to a different nearby frequency.
For 70CM Amateur use:
446.00 (National Simplex Calling)
For GMRS / FRS:
Channel: 15
For CB:
19 to connect, 17 to chat or veh to veh.
For MURS:
151.820 MHz (11.25 kHz)
151.880 MHz (11.25 kHz)
151.940 MHz (11.25 kHz)
154.570 MHz (20.00 kHz)
154.600 MHz (20.00 kHz)

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
Good effort! With respect to repeaters, the VHF bands are more active than the 70cm bands, typically. The range is greater, too.

Your analysis of handheld range, CB range, etc is pretty accurate. I see ham as a preferred alternative, followed by GMRS (repeaters) and then CB. CB is probably really best for communicating in the convoy, but it is in common use out there.

Handhelds are really best for truck-to-truck. Low wattage, inefficient antenna, and inside a large metal box. Its a recipe for not really getting out there.

The Overland Bound Communications Committee is almost ready to publish the standardized OB Comm Plan - it will have a general purpose band plan for channels and freq assignments, it is customizable by event planners to account for local variations, and will include a guidance book for planning. I think it will be a great starting place for OB comms, and offer a plug and play plan for those who dont want to get into the weeds of comm planning. It can be your primary plan, or an OB alternative to what you use locally. It will provide a way for OB members to interoperate throughout the US.

Watch for it on the forums when it is ready.....

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

GMRS license is now 10 yrs and range is more similar to UHF Ham since they are close in frequency.
FRS is now up to 2 watts.
CB: I wouldn't worry about the "French" channel in California, sounds more like a Canadian thing to me.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Okay, so Im trying to take this all in and organize it into some type of cohesive/holistic chunk of info. Tell me what you guys think so far:
Here is what I got:

Amature Radio or HAM for off road use
(There’s a lot of info on this but I have to start somewhere)
2M | VHF 144-148 MHz
70CM | UHF 420-450 MHz (good for repeaters)
Range: varies quite a bit depending on radio, transmit power, antenna, and geography. Typical range of a handheld on the trail is realistically around 2-6 miles, but with clean line of sight, a good setup, and higher power output, distances of well over 25 miles can be obtained.
0.5-5w typical with a handheld / Up to 50w typical on mobile style units / Higher output possible on base station units / Higher outputs possible with amplification
CB 11M Band (Citizen’s Band) | 40 channels within the 27 MHz band
Range: CB power output is limited to 4 watts, so in a typical trail situation, the range is realistically about 3-4 miles.
GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) | UHF 462.5500-462.7250 MHz
GMRS license required (no test, $65/5yr, covers immediate family)
Range: Similar to the VHF amateur radios, a typical range for GMRS on the trail is likely somewhere around 2-6 miles.
5-50W TX max
MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service) | VHF 151.82-154.60 MHz
2W TX limit
FRS (Family Radio Service) | UHF 462.5625-462.7125 MHz, 467.5625-467.7125 MHz
Range: FRS radios (which do not require the additional FCC license) are much lower power, and therefore the range is significantly reduced, making them less desirable.
0.5W TX max
Integrated antenna only
NOAA: 162.550, 162.400, 162.475, 162.425, 162.450, 162.500, 162.525

Channel Preferences:

For 2M Amateur use:

VHF 144-148 MHz
146.520 (National Simplex Calling) For linking up / listening. Then move to 146.500 for talking at length or veh to veh in route coms.
146.460 (the unofficial "overland calling frequency").
If occupied +/- One click of the dial.
This frequency is the generally accepted off-road calling frequency. Amateur operator etiquette means that this common calling frequency should be used primarily for initial contact. Any extended conversations or group use, like communication while on a trip or a trial run, should likely be moved to a different nearby frequency.
For 70CM Amateur use:
446.00 (National Simplex Calling)
For GMRS / FRS:
Channel: 15
For CB:
19 to connect, 17 to chat or veh to veh.
For MURS:
151.820 MHz (11.25 kHz)
151.880 MHz (11.25 kHz)
151.940 MHz (11.25 kHz)
154.570 MHz (20.00 kHz)
154.600 MHz (20.00 kHz)
Need to have folks look into the band plans for 2m/440 Amature Radio so they know the simplex frequency ranges we generally agree upon. There are lots of things going on in 2m, not just 2m FM Simplex, so you need to be aware of where you are operating so you are not interfering with other Amateurs engaged in other activities on the band. REMEMBER YOU NEED A LICENSE TO OPERATE IN THE AMATEUR BANDS!

Reactions: Najman

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Per Icom band plan. The ARRL band plan does not specify frequency range base on mode as precisely, other than CW

2m simplex:
144.90-145.20
145.50-145.80
145.40-145.61
147.39-147.60

70cm simplex:
433-435
445-447
Icom band plan.PNG

ARRL Band Plan:
ARRL band plan.PNG