Halfmoon Creek- Leadville, CO - 07/07/2018

• HTML tutorial

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

It's time to get into the Colorado high country! Just outside of Leadville and in the shadows of Mount Massive and Mount Elbert lies Halfmoon Creek. We will run and camp off of the Champion Mill side of this trail (NOT the significantly tougher Iron Mike side). That said this trail is mainly a forest service road and is accessible by stock HIGH clearance 4x4's so long as you have good all-terrain or mud-terrain tires. The only notable feature of this trail is the first river crossing which can be as deep as upper-fender, hence the July timing of this trip to allow snow melt to run its course so the crossing shouldn't be anywhere near as deep as it was last time I ran the trail. I will keep an eye on the level of the crossing to ensure nobody is putting their vehicle though anything too crazy, however I would ensure your diff breathers are tucked up high/relocated (other Toyota's I'm looking at you) and then this trail should be no problem! As usual, feel free to ask questions if you have any!

View Rally Point

Henk

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

SAUDI ARABIA
First Name
Henk
Last Name
Van der Merwe
Member #

Hi SoCoTaco,

The picture alone is enough to get us interested.

Im.in denver now, wairing for Toyota yo complete the 90k mile aervice on my GX470.

What are rhe proposed dates, would love to meet some overlanders while we're in town. Heading into the mountains tomorrow and will be around for a few weeks.

Regards
H

Reactions: TheBarefootFamily

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

We are planning to camp at Halfmoon creek this summer but probably a little later than July 7. We did those trails last summer, very fun area to explore, I want to do more hiking than driving this time around.

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

Sorry for the long response time everyone-

@Henk The dates are July 7-8. There are some other details posted that can be found by clicking the yellow "View Rally Point Details" button at the bottom of my first post.

@carlson_NE We'd be glad to have you! Similar to the comment I made to Henk above, hop over to the Rally Point and RSVP as "going" if you do plan on coming so I know who to keep in the loop as we get closer!

@JDGreens It really is a beautiful area and the camping off that trail is great! If you decide to go earlier and come with us it'd be great to see you again!

carlson_NE

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln, NE 68516
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Carlson
Member #

What time were you thinking on Saturday? I see the start and end time are both listed as 2:00 pm.

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

What time were you thinking on Saturday? I see the start and end time are both listed as 2:00 pm.
I was planning on meeting at the gas station listed as the starting point on the Rally Point at 2pm Saturday and theoretically being off trail by 2pm Sunday. I'm also going to do a night outside of Gunnison on Friday in case you're interested and have some free time.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I really wanted to do this, but I've been helping with the #SpringFire all week and didn't get home in time.

Thanks much for posting this up!