Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
This is quite possibly the only forum where I have never read the term "end of season camping".
That is a good thing as I do camping year round. Life is too short to wait for "the right season"
So, onto early November, what are folks plans for the weekend closest to bonfire night?

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

This is quite possibly the only forum where I have never read the term "end of season camping".
That is a good thing as I do camping year round. Life is too short to wait for "the right season"
So, onto early November, what are folks plans for the weekend closest to bonfire night?
There are state & national parks that close portions of their campgrounds here to reduce staffing over winter. I look for people “end of season camping” so I can go the next weekend after it gets quiet. That’s my favorite time to head out camping personally.

• Love
Reactions: Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My clan have made it the annual foraging weekend.
We head down to Nottinghamshire to make camp.
There's a place with what was an orchard a few hundred years ago, there must be 40 varieties of apple trees still growing and that is the time of year to collect them.
A single chestnut tree grows close by too, that is around 350 years old ( I googled how to calculate it's age ) we collect the fallen chestnuts from that and roast them in the evening on a cast iron grill over a fire.
Near the river, brambles grow far as the eye can see, we collect enough of those for my eldest daughter to bake an apple and bramble crumble in her van's propane oven.
It's a great woodland where we camp and used to be part of the mighty Sherwood Forest so has a good mix of old trees. All 8 of the clan collect some weird mushrooms to take home the day we break camp.

@systemdelete It really is my favourite time of year to camp out too :-)

Last edited:
Reactions: systemdelete

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
We have the Wanlockhead meet this weekend to shakedown our winter preps.
As you say camping is a year round event like clothing you just need to prepare accordingly.

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
As you say camping is a year round event like clothing you just need to prepare accordingly.
ive been sorting my kit out for the past two weekends.
warm weather gear out, colder weather gear in.
winter fluids in the van
The van stays stocked with food and water all year around, so no worries on that part, as does the small generator for 'just-in-case'.
fresh batteries for the handheld CB radio.
checked the contents of the bug out bags.
The list is not endless, but it does go on for a while.

Reactions: Polaris Overland