flyboytr

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mobile, Alabama, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4KHQ
My wife and I have enjoyed camping and outdoor adventures together for 30 years. The scope of this covers everything from our bus, to boat and beach camping (sail and power), tent camping, backpacking and hammock camping. We find it amazing that as we have gotten older, simpler things seem to have more appeal. It seems strange to drive a 28,000 lb vehicle and then tent camp next to it! :) But this was one of the signs that our interests were changing!

We have a Bunkhouse motorcycle camper that we pull behind our Subaru Outback. Over the past year we have found ourselves looking for dirt, gravel and back roads to drive on and trying to find remote camping areas where we can enjoy the peace and quiet of Mother nature!

While trying to glean info about back roads on the Outback forum (without much success) someone mentioned I should look into the overlanding groups. The what??? So, after some research...and learning what overlanding is, it seems I have found what I am looking for. We also found a local group on Facebook; Alabama Overland: Southwest Group. We had the pleasure of meeting some of them this past weekend at a Meet & Greet...nice folks!

While our rig is not a serious off-road monster, it will take us on the roads and trails that suit our taste and needs (although we are planning for a 2" lift and full skid plates for more protection and clearance).

We are planning a 4 day Thanksgiving weekend trip to the mountains of north GA and possibly into the Smokey Mountains. So, I am currently searching for info in that area and roads that our rig can easily travel. While it appears we may be traveling alone, we would welcome anyone to join us.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to be part of this forum. We're looking forward to learning and sharing new adventures! Below is a YouTube link showing our little camper and Outback.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chadlyb

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

My wife and I have enjoyed camping and outdoor adventures together for 30 years. The scope of this covers everything from our bus, to boat and beach camping (sail and power), tent camping, backpacking and hammock camping. We find it amazing that as we have gotten older, simpler things seem to have more appeal. It seems strange to drive a 28,000 lb vehicle and then tent camp next to it! :) But this was one of the signs that our interests were changing!

We have a Bunkhouse motorcycle camper that we pull behind our Subaru Outback. Over the past year we have found ourselves looking for dirt, gravel and back roads to drive on and trying to find remote camping areas where we can enjoy the peace and quiet of Mother nature!

While trying to glean info about back roads on the Outback forum (without much success) someone mentioned I should look into the overlanding groups. The what??? So, after some research...and learning what overlanding is, it seems I have found what I am looking for. We also found a local group on Facebook; Alabama Overland: Southwest Group. We had the pleasure of meeting some of them this past weekend at a Meet & Greet...nice folks!

While our rig is not a serious off-road monster, it will take us on the roads and trails that suit our taste and needs (although we are planning for a 2" lift and full skid plates for more protection and clearance).

We are planning a 4 day Thanksgiving weekend trip to the mountains of north GA and possibly into the Smokey Mountains. So, I am currently searching for info in that area and roads that our rig can easily travel. While it appears we may be traveling alone, we would welcome anyone to join us.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to be part of this forum. We're looking forward to learning and sharing new adventures! Below is a YouTube link showing our little camper and Outback.
Hello flyboytr and welcome to OB! Nice rig! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello and welcome to the OB crew..great looking rig and set up...look forward to seeing your adventures