Green Mountains Today

• HTML tutorial

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

Been working on this Disco for a while now and took it up to the Green Mountains to try it out. Ended up putting my new recovery straps to use pulling two cars back up a road through mud and snow - they had been stuck for 4 hours. Nice to be able to try out the gear. The truck was awesome.

That sign in the pic with the truck facing the photo seems like a challenge, no?

upload image album

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
What kind of recovery strap goes around the door handles? I would think those would be a weak area to pull from. It might just be me, but the rear axle or suspension would be a better recovery point. Btw, did you collect $500 from them like the sign says :)

Reactions: MBroenkow

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

I was able to pull the Acura with them out by a tow hook. The Hyundai was too deep to get to a good structural element easily - had a shovel, but the owner wanted to do this. It's not attached to the handles, it runs through the rear seat as a single strap so we were pulling by the body. I believe it still falls in the "don't try this at home" category.

As I mentioned, it was nice to get a test run of some of my recovery goodies and they bought me lunch, which was fun. $500 buys a lot of lunches, though. ;)

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Graeman

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I was able to pull the Acura with them out by a tow hook. The Hyundai was too deep to get to a good structural element easily - had a shovel, but the owner wanted to do this. It's not attached to the handles, it runs through the rear seat as a single strap so we were pulling by the body. I believe it still falls in the "don't try this at home" category.

As I mentioned, it was nice to get a test run of some of my recovery goodies and they bought me lunch, which was fun. $500 buys a lot of lunches, though. ;)
I may or may not have a close relative who had to have what may or may not have been his or her law enforcement vehicle "unstuck" via a similar method, only thru the front windows. In that case, the vehicle may or may not have been totaled by the damage done. :laughing:

Reactions: 20DYNAMITE07