US West Green Creek Overnighter and Trip up to Kavanaugh Ridge.

• HTML tutorial

WJeeper

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Heading down Friday night to claim camp. Saturday we will take a 4x4 trip up to Kavanaugh Ridge. Elevation at Kavanaugh Ridge is 11,000 ft and you can see 5-6 lakes spread throughout the valley. The ridge is a rock cliff with a pretty close to straight drop off. This area is known for its abundance of aspen trees spread throughout the mountains. Generally the leaves are changing colors around this time and create some great opportunities for photos.

Vehicle requirements for the Kavanaugh Ridge trail: Aggressive tires, Clearance, 4x4.
A stock Wrangler can do it, a stock Subaru can not. :)

Reactions: Kent R

Two Sheds

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

Anyone else from the Rocklin area attending?
Any tips as to how to communicate via HAM if I don’t yet have my HAM license for this trip? Have radio, just no license

WJeeper

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Anyone else from the Rocklin area attending?
Any tips as to how to communicate via HAM if I don’t yet have my HAM license for this trip? Have radio, just no license
When using less powerful handhelds, your reach isn’t going to be as far. Using the 146.460 frequency when we are in close range to each other isn’t going to cause any issues.

Two Sheds

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

Just curious, for night #2 , is the plan to be back at Green Creek c.g.? Or on the ridge? Don’t make no-never mind..just wondering. Might bring my Fly gear- better to have and not need, yea?

WJeeper

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Just curious, for night #2 , is the plan to be back at Green Creek c.g.? Or on the ridge? Don’t make no-never mind..just wondering. Might bring my Fly gear- better to have and not need, yea?
We will be back at camp same location for both nights. I'll be leaving my trailer at camp.

As for fishing, I hear there are some fish in the lakes and streams, so worth a try for sure.

WJeeper

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Ok, I am going to post my Phone number for everyone going to text me.

My Number: 775-830-9310
Include: (Name, Forum Name, Vehicle type and color.)

Text me anytime with the info needed and I'll start a list.

Auggie

Rank V

Advocate III

Oroville, CA, USA
First Name
Auggie
Last Name
Mireles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6ICE
Hello,
what is the plan on this trip? Is it mostly driving or will you plan time for other activities?
thank you

WJeeper

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Driving down to camp on the creek Thursday or Friday. Then we will leave camp and do a day 4x4 trip up to Kavanaugh ridge on Saturday, Then back to camp. Leaving Sunday to head home.

Auggie

Rank V

Advocate III

Oroville, CA, USA
First Name
Auggie
Last Name
Mireles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6ICE
Thanks, just don’t want the radio Powleece to get me
You just got caught LOL! I suggest you get the license, its a big step on communications and you will also avoid potential HAM operators calling asking for your call sign.