Great / Not so Great...

• HTML tutorial

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Over the years I've collected so much stuff/junk/gear that has proven to be either a great, or not so great investment. Some things look good on paper and fail in action, and some things perform better than expected in real life.

For example:

This (Esbit Portable Folding BBQ Grill) ended up being quite annoying with some sharp edges, not so easy setup and weak material. It ultimately ended up in the garbage after the grill part torqued so much it wouldn't rest in the tray properly and just felt like the whole thing was falling apart. It would be fair to mention I own other Esbit products that I'm very happy with. Great company but this product hasn't held up against some more modern options for me. Overall a disappointing experience.

On the other hand, this Oasis Raptor II Table & Bench (pretty generic) will not die. I've set it up and used it at camp over 30 times and at home more than that and it still works well and folds up for transport easily. It lives on the roof rack when travelling so it's been through rain, snow, dirt and sun over many miles. I originally bought it for a single trip with multiple people not thinking much of it but it's still here. Quite happy with it.

I always read reviews and research as much as possible but it's rare that a product actually gets tested in the elements it's designed for by regular people. What camp gear do you have, or have used (could be anything), that lives up to the hype and what hasn't? Maybe there is a generic option that holds up just as well? Maybe the brand name is the only way to go? Maybe there is a 3rd better option to consider?

I totally understand that everyones experience is different and there are many variables and potential "lemon" products floating around out there but I'd love to hear some opinions…

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Terrific thread suggestion, @ASNOBODY. I've been amassing a mess of new gear for upcoming ventures with just this sort of thing in mind. Real field testing with first impressions, notes on usage and opinions over time, and reviews/updates in threads like this and blog/vlog posts. All aimed more at gear, not our wheels.

The Great / Not So Great theme is, well, a great idea. I bet we all have gear we look at and go "What the frickin' holy hell was I thinking, buying this damned thing?" and with other gear go "Dang dude, what a nice surprising bit of kit here!"

I suggested the other day on a thread somewhere that I think it'd be cool to get a big ol' feed going with a bunch of us sometime, using all sorts of different cookware; from Partner Stoves to classic Coleman 2 burners, to Skottles, to single burner butane chef's style, to Weber Q series grills, to dutch ovens on coals. Have coffee and biscuits and beans and meats and fish and veggies and soups and stews going all over the place.

Be a great way to see what everyone's fav cooking gear is, talk about why they gave up on whatever they used to use, and an even greater way to foster community among fellow back-country enthusiasts. A Gear Gab. I'll make my favorite chowdah.

-----------
p.s. If you ever decide to part with your Oasis Raptor II Table & Bench, let me know. I like it and want to be first in line to buy it. Can't find any available online right now.

Last edited:

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Great: SnowPeak Fire Pit. Sturdy, lightweight (mostly), stable, very easy to use, low impact, folds flat, expensive but worth it.

Not So Great: Solar Shower (bag style). I never found this to be better or easier or more effective than a simple wash cloth. Plus, if you're not careful, they get way too hot. I had one when I worked on a lookout tower (10 days on at a time, no running water), and I used it exactly once.

Reactions: Ditch and ASNOBODY

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
On the other hand, this Oasis Raptor II Table & Bench (pretty generic) will not die
Great thread idea, and I'll second this table. I have one as well and LOVE it.

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

That looks pretty nice! I already replaced the grill with a JetBoil system that I've been enjoying…despite some mediocre reviews.

Reactions: Ditch

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Great thread idea!

Great: Slumberjack Cot - This thing is HUGE.... it is about 7' long and 32" wide and super comfortable. I have considered throwing my old mattress out and setting this up instead! I got it about 8 years ago so the style has changed slightly.
https://slumberjack.com/tough-cot/

Great: Raingler Nets - I bought this to secure 2 small Action Packers with my recovery gear and tools to the tie down points in the back of my Xterra. It is a quality product that works very well.
https://raingler.com/collections/nissan/products/1999-newer-nissan-xterra-floor-cargo-net

Great: Coleman 6 person Instant Up Tent. I need a large tent to fit my Slumberjack Cot and at 10' X 9' this one works great. While it does not go up 'instantly' with one person doing the setup, it has gotten easier to use after several camping trips. I went ahead and purchased the optional rain fly just to keep bird droppings off the tent and allow me to open the windows slightly in the rain.IMG_4402.JPG

I'll have to think a little while about any Not so Great items.....

Last edited:

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Great: Slumberjack Cot - This thing is HUGE.... it is about 7' long and 32" wide and super comfortable. I have considered throwing my old mattress out and setting this up instead! I got it about 8 years ago so the style has changed slightly.
https://slumberjack.com/tough-cot/
i've been looking at picking up some cots. The product weight of the Tough Cot says 27lbs!!! surely that's not accurate, is it?

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Surprisingly great-
The 4 man pop up tent from Coleman. One second up, ten seconds to pack away. I bought after my dog shredded the mesh on my Mountain Hardware Haven 3, figuring I'd fix the Haven this Winter. The 7lb tent has withstood more than 50 nights of abuse from two feral dogs and two semi-feral adults, being blown across a rock garden and has nice ventilation. Haven't used it in rain yet. For the 60 bucks I paid for it, it's more than paid for itself. Not worried about performance in Winter since we build snowcaves.
https://www.coleman.com/popup-4/2000014782.html

Absolutely dreadful- The Dirty Dog pet divider. The weight of my lab's head resting his chin in the webbing split the webbing in two the first day. Abrades really easy if next to gear. Customer Service is not helpful, was told the webbing has an 800lb breaking strength. period.

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Agreed! I have one (FJ specific) that I used to replace a Springtail Solutions pet divider that only worked with a backseat…because I have no back seat. It's not perfect but it works great and is top quality.
I had no idea about these. . . and like it for both van (inside and top) and trailer because I may use my elevated rack in the low position for light stuff, not a RTT. This thread is bound to be a great resource for a long time. I suggest we post back and update when we know a product is discontinued, link changes, or a new version exists.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Great thread idea! Going to contribute some (prices are current/approximate so may change over time). FYI not using referring links just shortened links.

GREAT: portable battery-powered showerhead ($31+) - http://a.co/bx6aqrD

Our go-to camping spot about 20min from our house is a campgrounds that has showers, but recently we went on a 4-day overlanding trip with new friends [that we met here on OB!] and decided to bring a way to rinse off at least. We actually got the Ivation brand version for $40 but it looks like one of those imported products that are all identical and just have different brand names/labels on them, so I'd just get one of the $30 ones and they'll likely be identical. So we brought this and a black 5 gallon bucket (few bucks at Home Depot) filled with water. We left the bucket in the sun to bake and then opened up, turned on the motor of the showerhead then dropped it in. It doesn't spray water pressure like a real shower at home obviously, but it was very impressive still, definitely way better than one of those black bags you hang from a tree that relies on gravity alone. Our new friends agreed (even though at first I think they thought it was "overpacking" haha). After using it to rinse off your head/hair and wash your face proper with warm water, everyone agreed it was worth its weight in gold at a campsite. We will always have one of these with us camping/overlanding from now on! It doesn't have a filter so it wouldn't be great to dunk in a creek for use (i.e. while backpacking), but we read online that some people just wrap a coffee filter around it with a rubberband, which sounds reasonable. The unit has an internal rechargeable battery that you can charge via USB (like from your vehicle's USB/cigarette adapter or from a solar USB connection), and it comes with a suction cup and hook to attach to vehicles or trees. Oh also, it doesn't heat the water, only sprays it. The black bucket didn't get the water too warm (5 gallons is a lot to heat up even sitting in the sun), but if we wanted warmer water we could have just boiled a pot and dumped it in to mix etc. Best setup might be a metal black bucket of some sort? That way you could literally hang/mount over a small flame to warm it up? ...or toss some hot coals in to warm up...?

GREAT: Duluth backseat cover ($50+) - https://goo.gl/uJjqb6

We got one of these a few years back as a Christmas gift and we can't live without it. We have a 75lb dog so it is a lifesaver just for the dog alone. But the Duluth ones use that firehose material and these things are durable as hell! Also they're padded so the thing is also great to take as a picnic blanket or at a sporting event etc. If necessary it could definitely serve as a thin sleeping mat for the ground (or an extra layer with your main camping mat) in a pinch. We've even used it on top of a previous car we owned to tie a Christmas tree to the roof without scratching the paint and it was flawless! We still have just the one but we're planning on buying a second soon to keep in my truck rather than moving the one back and forth in vehicles. It's also great because you can just unclip the front headrest straps and then people can jump in and sit on top of it (which is also great if passengers have as much dirt/mud on them as your dog). Duluth has a couple other models like one that zips down half way across so one side can have the leg space for a human but the other side is strapped to the front seat for your dog etc.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

GREAT: BaoFeng UV5R Dual-Band Two-Way Radio ($26) - http://a.co/fC6Uffe

Like many overlanders, I want to get into amateur radio and get my license(s). And I'm waiting until I know more about amateur radio to purchase a nice radio unit and antenna for my rig. For the time being, I have one of these super popular BaoFeng handheld units. Once you learn your way around them, you discover you can listen in to local police/fire/ems/etc radios for emergencies and other communication, as well as communicate out (which you're supposed to have a license for but if its an emergency on the trail I'd use any method of comms I had to contact emergency services). In addition, you can listen to NOAA weather bands, as well as all two-way radio communications. As an example, a couple weeks ago I went out with some new friends from here on OB, and only one guy had a CB and no one else (including me at the time). So I gave a couple guys one of my cheap Cobra two-way walkie talkie handheld radios on channel 6, and then I turned my BaoFeng to 462.6875 which is channel 6 on FRS/GMRS two-way radios, then the three rigs were able to communicate. For $25 the capabilities of one of these BaoFeng UV5R units is super worth having in an overlanding rig for nearby comms, whether you have a nice mobile amateur radio setup or not! FYI these BaoFengs [and most all other amateur radio units except for like, 2 or 3 really expensive models out there] CAN NOT tune to CB frequencies. This is why so many overlanders have both an amateur radio and a CB radio in their rig [since the combo units are like $1000 range!].

NOT SO GREAT: collapsible water container

You may be thinking like we did, "it collapses in our camping storage gear when not in use, then we fill it up when we're heading out, great idea!" but that is a bad idea. The main issue is that, without proper rigidity/form, the thing kind of rolls or slumps over constantly. It's really only partially stable when it is topped-off full of water. From then on you usually have to have an arm around it to hold it in place while you try to use the water spout, and it may even roll off the end of your table or tailgate. We still keep ours empty/collapsed in the bottom of a camping tote with us, but only as a last-ditch, worst-case scenario for a method to transport water to/from camp. Oh, also, they puncture kind of easily. If you're going to get a camp water container, get a sturdy one:

GREAT: generic pocket backpacking stove ($9+) - http://a.co/6LBb1zI

It's basically a generic version of a Pocket-Rocket, but a fraction of the cost. I keep one with my Stanley cookset and it works flawlessly, and still going strong. The reason I say these are great for overlanding is because I hate taking up one of my Coleman stove burners in the morning just for making coffee when I could be using another pan/pot for breakfast food...so I use one of these to boil water for coffee for the french press, and to heat up water in my Mukka Express. They work great, produce as much flame as any other stove surface, and they take the same butane/propane mix fuel as the Pocket Rocket ones (about $5/each at Wal-Mart/Target etc). As an added bonus, one of these and a gas canister fit inside the Stanley cookset and take up hardly any additional space in your gear, which is why they're so popular in the backpacking community.

NOT SO GREAT: these portable LED camping light/fan units

This is another import product with a bunch of different brand names but all the same model. The idea is great and at first we liked it, but you quickly find three main issues:
1. They use like 4 D batteries, so they're very heavy, which makes it a bit harder to properly hang from the flip-out little hook at the top.
2. There are two pivot points to angle the fan and/or the LED light ring in certain directions, however those parts of the unit are too heavy to hold those positions and just fall right back down to the face downward. You could use the LED ring as a base like the upper-right insert in the pic above, but then you wouldn't get any light.
3. The plastic quality is very low, and the base unit that caps over the batteries was constantly unscrewing. It's definitely one of those products that just feels like it's going to crack the first time it drops from more than 2ft off the ground.
There are many more better cheap LED units and fan units out there. This attempt at a light/fan combo that is still mobile/portable just isn't great and we don't recommend it. It is cheap though (like $9/each I think) so feel free to give it a whirl, maybe you'll like it better.

GREAT: pop-up camp trash can ($15+) - http://a.co/4Jlhxmq

So this one may not be for everyone, as some people prefer to hang their trash bags, or maybe you have a Trasharoo or something nicer. For us, having a physical standing trash can with a full-size bag inside is super nice. We have two; one for trash and one for recyclables. It's also great if you camp/overland with other people and everyone can share the same trash cans. They fold down to about 4-6 inches tall, so I usually put these in the truck on top of all my other gear before closing the tonneau cover (you can smush them down if you need to). They're big when open and can fit a full-size trash bag. I even use them in fall with leaf bags in the yard and they work great. I'd like to get a Trasharoo or something similar in the future, but for now we like these a lot. FYI we got 2 of the Coghlan models for $33/each, but it looks like the black ones I linked above are same thing for $15, so I'd get those instead for half the price! Both hold 30 gallons of space.

GREAT: Ozark Trail double-wall insulated tumblers/mugs ($7-10) - WalMart

You've probably already heard of these, but we're big fans so mentioning here anyway. These are basically the same thing as the $25-$35 Yeti or RTIC tumblers/mugs but for under $10. I've put ice in one and over a day later there was still some ice left I had to toss before reuse. These things are sturdy as hell, work great, and come in lots of sizes, shapes, and colors. We got a couple at Walmart for $8 each (I got black to match the truck of course, and gf got purple), and we have since replaced our extra "guest cups" in our camping gear with these as well.

I could go on with more, but I think that's enough for now. ;)

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

GREAT: BaoFeng UV5R Dual-Band Two-Way Radio ($26) - http://a.co/fC6Uffe

Like many overlanders, I want to get into amateur radio and get my license(s). And I'm waiting until I know more about amateur radio to purchase a nice radio unit and antenna for my rig. For the time being, I have one of these super popular BaoFeng handheld units. Once you learn your way around them, you discover you can listen in to local police/fire/ems/etc radios for emergencies and other communication, as well as communicate out (which you're supposed to have a license for but if its an emergency on the trail I'd use any method of comms I had to contact emergency services). In addition, you can listen to NOAA weather bands, as well as all two-way radio communications. As an example, a couple weeks ago I went out with some new friends from here on OB, and only one guy had a CB and no one else (including me at the time). So I gave a couple guys one of my cheap Cobra two-way walkie talkie handheld radios on channel 6, and then I turned my BaoFeng to 462.6875 which is channel 6 on FRS/GMRS two-way radios, then the three rigs were able to communicate. For $25 the capabilities of one of these BaoFeng UV5R units is super worth having in an overlanding rig for nearby comms, whether you have a nice mobile amateur radio setup or not! FYI these BaoFengs [and most all other amateur radio units except for like, 2 or 3 really expensive models out there] CAN NOT tune to CB frequencies. This is why so many overlanders have both an amateur radio and a CB radio in their rig [since the combo units are like $1000 range!].

NOT SO GREAT: collapsible water container

You may be thinking like we did, "it collapses in our camping storage gear when not in use, then we fill it up when we're heading out, great idea!" but that is a bad idea. The main issue is that, without proper rigidity/form, the thing kind of rolls or slumps over constantly. It's really only partially stable when it is topped-off full of water. From then on you usually have to have an arm around it to hold it in place while you try to use the water spout, and it may even roll off the end of your table or tailgate. We still keep ours empty/collapsed in the bottom of a camping tote with us, but only as a last-ditch, worst-case scenario for a method to transport water to/from camp. Oh, also, they puncture kind of easily. If you're going to get a camp water container, get a sturdy one:

GREAT: generic pocket backpacking stove ($9+) - http://a.co/6LBb1zI

It's basically a generic version of a Pocket-Rocket, but a fraction of the cost. I keep one with my Stanley cookset and it works flawlessly, and still going strong. The reason I say these are great for overlanding is because I hate taking up one of my Coleman stove burners in the morning just for making coffee when I could be using another pan/pot for breakfast food...so I use one of these to boil water for coffee for the french press, and to heat up water in my Mukka Express. They work great, produce as much flame as any other stove surface, and they take the same butane/propane mix fuel as the Pocket Rocket ones (about $5/each at Wal-Mart/Target etc). As an added bonus, one of these and a gas canister fit inside the Stanley cookset and take up hardly any additional space in your gear, which is why they're so popular in the backpacking community.

This is another import product with a bunch of different brand names but all the same model. The idea is great and at first we liked it, but you quickly find three main issues:
1. They use like 4 D batteries, so they're very heavy, which makes it a bit harder to properly hang from the flip-out little hook at the top.
2. There are two pivot points to angle the fan and/or the LED light ring in certain directions, however those parts of the unit are too heavy to hold those positions and just fall right back down to the face downward. You could use the LED ring as a base like the upper-right insert in the pic above, but then you wouldn't get any light.
3. The plastic quality is very low, and the base unit that caps over the batteries was constantly unscrewing. It's definitely one of those products that just feels like it's going to crack the first time it drops from more than 2ft off the ground.
There are many more better cheap LED units and fan units out there. This attempt at a light/fan combo that is still mobile/portable just isn't great and we don't recommend it. It is cheap though (like $9/each I think) so feel free to give it a whirl, maybe you'll like it better.

GREAT: pop-up camp trash can ($15+) - http://a.co/4Jlhxmq

So this one may not be for everyone, as some people prefer to hang their trash bags, or maybe you have a Trasharoo or something nicer. For us, having a physical standing trash can with a full-size bag inside is super nice. We have two; one for trash and one for recyclables. It's also great if you camp/overland with other people and everyone can share the same trash cans. They fold down to about 4-6 inches tall, so I usually put these in the truck on top of all my other gear before closing the tonneau cover (you can smush them down if you need to). They're big when open and can fit a full-size trash bag. I even use them in fall with leaf bags in the yard and they work great. I'd like to get a Trasharoo or something similar in the future, but for now we like these a lot. FYI we got 2 of the Coghlan models for $33/each, but it looks like the black ones I linked above are same thing for $15, so I'd get those instead for half the price! Both hold 30 gallons of space.

GREAT: Ozark Trail double-wall insulated tumblers/mugs ($7-10) - WalMart

You've probably already heard of these, but we're big fans so mentioning here anyway. These are basically the same thing as the $25-$35 Yeti or RTIC tumblers/mugs but for under $10. I've put ice in one and over a day later there was still some ice left I had to toss before reuse. These things are sturdy as hell, work great, and come in lots of sizes, shapes, and colors. We got a couple at Walmart for $8 each (I got black to match the truck of course, and gf got purple), and we have since replaced our extra "guest cups" in our camping gear with these as well.

I could go on with more, but I think that's enough for now. ;)
Great post, @geekyadam, very informative.

Reactions: geekyadam

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Funny that you mention this. I had one of these that I actually really liked…until the first time camping with it, it in inexplicably broke and fell on my face in the tent. The plastic hook seemed to just say "Ok, my work here is done". The ring cracked when it hit my face from a 4 foot fall. Junk.

On the other hand, this generic light (FloodIt?) I thought was going to be junk has proven pretty useful and robust (so far):

*Not the one I purchased but you get the idea*

The magnetic feet was the selling point. Wanted to be able to slap it on the truck at night if I needed light in a certain area. Works well and is rechargeable.

Reactions: Ditch and geekyadam