Great News For Veterans

• HTML tutorial

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

It would be a great benefit to all of us. Those suffering as well as those who are intact . I as one would appreciate the learning and being able to teach and help those that are in need of assistance getting started, overlanding spoken here. Jeep builds spoken here camping rigs spoken here. Thanks for the post let’s hope it gets thru it will help immensely.

Reactions: John~SWNM

John~SWNM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Holloway
Member #

I absolutely agree. I believe that those of us with experiences in this arena have the responsibility to pass on that knowledge & experience to those who can be helped by it.

It would be a great benefit to all of us. Those suffering as well as those who are intact . I as one would appreciate the learning and being able to teach and help those that are in need of assistance getting started, overlanding spoken here. Jeep builds spoken here camping rigs spoken here. Thanks for the post let’s hope it gets thru it will help immensely.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I have to wonder what they mean by "removing barriers".

I would hate to see this turn into one of those things where the existing facilities get shut down because they are not ADA friendly or some such thing. (And yes, I have watched this happen. There are law sharks who go around looking for people to sue because the toilet isn't just so many inches from the wall.)

When the government starts getting involved in something that volunteers have been doing well I have to worry.

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

I have to wonder what they mean by "removing barriers".

I would hate to see this turn into one of those things where the existing facilities get shut down because they are not ADA friendly or some such thing. (And yes, I have watched this happen. There are law sharks who go around looking for people to sue because the toilet isn't just so many inches from the wall.)

When the government starts getting involved in something that volunteers have been doing well I have to worry.
You are correct. A misdirected post could start a negative slide however if this group is in any way involved we would do well I think

John~SWNM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
Holloway
Member #

The way I read it, "and opening up federal lands and removing barriers to access for remedial outdoor recreation is a no-brainer. " is basic government-speak " , removing barriers" is code word for almost anything they wnt it to mean as long as it sounds like they are improving something and making it more accessable.. To me at least it sounds like they might actually try to open access or change rules allowing access to some areas. I like that they specified "Opening up federal lands", will see if that the positive thing it sounds like. (Hey, I'm trying to be optimistic here) Would be great to plan an All-Vet trip sometime.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Calling it therapy may not be good...I can see Big Pharma buying all the parks and then charging "prescription prices" to use it. Ha! Well, I'm going to be positive here and hopefully the government is doing something good...and since its directed to helping vets, there will be plenty of public support for this. I'd volunteer to do a week here and there at a park helping the disabled vets set up a camp and get around. I'm a vet and I didn't get a scratch on me, but I know a lot of our brothers-in-arms didn't fare that well and they deserve to enjoy the outdoors just as much as rest of us...

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Calling it therapy may not be good...I can see Big Pharma buying all the parks and then charging "prescription prices" to use it. Ha! Well, I'm going to be positive here and hopefully the government is doing something good...and since its directed to helping vets, there will be plenty of public support for this. I'd volunteer to do a week here and there at a park helping the disabled vets set up a camp and get around. I'm a vet and I didn't get a scratch on me, but I know a lot of our brothers-in-arms didn't fare that well and they deserve to enjoy the outdoors just as much as rest of us...
Let’s all stay positive in thinking the Govt will help us, can’t they try something that is seriously a no cost to them as they already own the territory program that would allow more vets get a more positive approach to recovery? I personally have used my skills learned to build my rig and find at least 2 events a year to participate in. I am on a mission to help as many as I can as often as I can and I’ve been crapped on a couple times by one of the biggest overlanding groups but I’m still here. Positive thinking gentlemen.

John~SWNM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
Holloway
Member #

I absolutely agree, need to be optimistic & positive. Most likely this will result inth VA "prescribing" time at camps, etc that are already established, but that's no reason to think that wil be all or that we should settle for that, especially whenthere are SO many options available and so many paths this could take.

Now is the time to jump in and try to get our input & ideas into this process so I plan on contacting all my representatives about the proposed legislation.

Let’s all stay positive in thinking the Govt will help us, can’t they try something that is seriously a no cost to them as they already own the territory program that would allow more vets get a more positive approach to recovery? I personally have used my skills learned to build my rig and find at least 2 events a year to participate in. I am on a mission to help as many as I can as often as I can and I’ve been crapped on a couple times by one of the biggest overlanding groups but I’m still here. Positive thinking gentlemen.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Great comments. The best therapy involves new challenges, not medication.

This is an excellent book about PTSD for WWI vets.
It goes far beyond the title.

11602442.jpg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I like that they specified "Opening up federal lands", will see if that the positive thing it sounds like. (Hey, I'm trying to be optimistic here) Would be great to plan an All-Vet trip sometime.
But that implies only vets will get access.

John~SWNM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
Holloway
Member #

But that implies only vets will get access.

Not necessarily, if they are going to open access they have to by law open it for all, unless they want to face major kick-back & law suits. But then it's the VA & Government, so in the end they'll do WTF ever they want, like how they went into many areas and gated off roads so they could claim the areas were "roadless" and designate them as "wilderness areas".

Last edited: