Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
McCraw
Member #

Ive always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon before I .....well , croak ! Dream trip would be go to Arizona and get the GC done. Then head in to Utah a little way and get some trails in there. Then go through Colorado and see what i can see on my way home to Florida. I dont want snow or super cold weather though.....Would mid September or mid October be a good time you reckon ? Ive got a lot to do before I go, but this trip will happen . Next year hopefully

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Ive always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon before I .....well , croak ! Dream trip would be go to Arizona and get the GC done. Then head in to Utah a little way and get some trails in there. Then go through Colorado and see what i can see on my way home to Florida. I dont want snow or super cold weather though.....Would mid September or mid October be a good time you reckon ? Ive got a lot to do before I go, but this trip will happen . Next year hopefully
Read some of the other Grand Canyon threads (North Rim) for ideas. That's a good time although the North Rim usually closes around mid-october. North rim is like a private retreat on a beach. South Rim is like when a cruise ship of people invades a public beach. Pick which you prefer. If you are going to go up into Utah you might as well go to the North Rim. Utah is right down the road.

Reactions: Rick 17Taco

Rick 17Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Rick
Last Name
McCraw
Member #

Read some of the other Grand Canyon threads (North Rim) for ideas. That's a good time although the North Rim usually closes around mid-october. North rim is like a private retreat on a beach. South Rim is like when a cruise ship of people invades a public beach. Pick which you prefer. If you are going to go up into Utah you might as well go to the North Rim. Utah is right down the road.
Thats a nice bit of info !!! September it is then , hehe. I guess rocks dont change with the weather like leaves......You can just go anytime , Thanks for that tid bit

Alex Brame

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

I was in Southern Utah some years back and looked into driving down the road to the North Rim. It was early April and we had some snowfall while I was there. The locals said "don't drive down the road to the north rim!" Best to hit it once it's all dried out. Snowfall in Bryce Canyon was fabulous, however...

1572299420071.jpeg

Rick 17Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Rick
Last Name
McCraw
Member #

I was in Southern Utah some years back and looked into driving down the road to the North Rim. It was early April and we had some snowfall while I was there. The locals said "don't drive down the road to the north rim!" Best to hit it once it's all dried out. Snowfall in Bryce Canyon was fabulous, however...

View attachment 124391
That is fantastic !!! Its the one place in the U.S. I feel I have to see. I cannot wait to go...Superb photo !!

Reactions: tazzdevil08

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the GC is really neat to see. ive been there a number of times, north and south rim and enjoyed it. i did the helicopter tour to see more faster and that was worth the money to me. if youre heading from florida, you might want to hit I-40 and check out Santa Fe then shoot west on 40 and see the Petrified Forest then go up from Flagstaff to the south rim then you can work your way west and see Bryce and Zion Natl Park and then go up thru Utah northeast and see the Arches Natl Park then go west into Colorado and drop down Hwy 550 which is AMAZING and go thru Silverton and Durango. I've done that route a few times and really got to see some stuff. Then you can work your way southeast and check out Carlsbad Caverns and then drop down to I-10 and shoot east back home. That also put you thru San Antonio if you have the energy left to see the Alamo and Riverwalk. You'll be going thru New Orleans so you can hit Bourbon Street, drink a Hurricane at Pat O'Briens and catch some Mardi Gras beads and then go home and sleep for a week....

Last edited:

Rick 17Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Rick
Last Name
McCraw
Member #

the GC is really neat to see. ive been there a number of times, north and south rim and enjoyed it. i did the helicopter tour to see more faster and that was worth the money to me. if youre heading from florida, you might want to hit I-40 and check out Santa Fe then shoot west on 40 and see the Petrified Forest then go up from Flagstaff to the south rim then you can work your way west and see Bryce and Zion Natl Park and then go up thru Utah northeast and see the Arches Natl Park then go west into Colorado and drop down Hwy 550 which is AMAZING and go thru Silverton and Durango. I've done that route a few times and really got to see some stuff. Then you can work your way southeast and check out Carlsbad Caverns and then drop down to I-10 and shoot east back home. That also put you thru San Antonio if you have the energy left to see the Alamo and Riverwalk. You'll be going thru New Orleans so you can hit Bourbon Street, drink a Hurricane at Pat O'Briens and catch some Mardi Gras beads and then go home and sleep for a week....
Whoa !!!! That is adventure right there , hehe. Im liking the Petrified Forest route !!! Ive gotta save this convo for sure. This is awesome !

Reactions: grubworm

onepremiere

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orange County, CA, USA
Member #

If you really want to make it an adventure, and a truly personal experience, check out the Toroweap overlook. Literally your personal view at the edge of the grand canyon without a single sole for miles. I did it in January of 2018, thankfully that winter was mild so we missed all the weather/snow. It was an incredible trip. Toroweap Overlook

Attachments

Reactions: Etoimos

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

The Ouray area (in SW CO, US WHY 550 goes right though it) is probably the best place to go in CO for the highest density of beautiful trails that can easily be done in an overland style rig. But most of those trails will be closed by mid September. August typically sees quite a few rainy days and so most people target mid to late July for Ouray. Some of the lower parts of the trails will still be open, but coming from FL you will not want to be limited by snow

With this in mind, I would suggest that you reverse your direction of travel. Hit Ouray in late August (rain should be slacking by then) then Utah and finally down into the GC area.

Ouray in July...

Ouray in August 2013...

Ouray in Sept 2013...