Grand Canyon

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Good evening all,

I am planning a trip to the Grand Canyon and have never been there. Does anyone know how the camping situation works? Are there specified camp grounds or can I just make my own camp? Any answers are greatly appreciated!

-Marshall

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

There are campsites at the South Rim that are first come first serve and are nice. Get there during the week and you should not have a problem. By the end of the week, you need to arrive early morning. There is no off the grid camping within the park. Be sure to go see the watchtower. For reservations check the recreation.gov site there are often last minute cancellations.

Reactions: Marshall Silva

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Here you go.

Mather Campground (NPS)
On the South Rim, campground reservations can be made for NPS Mather Campground, located within busy Grand Canyon Village. (a historic district, lodges, shuttle buses, visitor center, train etc.)

• There are no RV hook-ups at Mather Campground.
  • Mather Campground reservations can be made through the National Recreation Reservation Service. Call 1-877-444-6777 Online: https://www.recreation.gov/ (Reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance)
  • During the winter months of December, January, and February, the campground office is closed and online reservations are not available. Registration is first come first serve using the self-pay machine located at the campground office at the entrance to the campground. During winter months, shared Hiker/biker campsites are not available and hiker/bikers must pay for an individual site which is $15.00. Winter Campground Bulletin/Map

Traveler I

Here you go.

Mather Campground (NPS)
On the South Rim, campground reservations can be made for NPS Mather Campground, located within busy Grand Canyon Village. (a historic district, lodges, shuttle buses, visitor center, train etc.)

• There are no RV hook-ups at Mather Campground.
  • Mather Campground reservations can be made through the National Recreation Reservation Service. Call 1-877-444-6777 Online: https://www.recreation.gov/ (Reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance)
  • During the winter months of December, January, and February, the campground office is closed and online reservations are not available. Registration is first come first serve using the self-pay machine located at the campground office at the entrance to the campground. During winter months, shared Hiker/biker campsites are not available and hiker/bikers must pay for an individual site which is $15.00. Winter Campground Bulletin/Map
Thanks so much, Gary!

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

You can find dispersed camping area in Kaibab National Forest either North or South Rim of Grand Canyon. It’s free to set camp and no reservation needed. I camped in Kaibab NF in the south rim. It’s just less than a few miles from the National Park.

Reactions: Matthew Florez