Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Hey fellow overlanders,

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon at the end of next month, and I'm 100% unfamiliar with the trails down there, including hikes. Is there anything that is a "must do" at or near the South Rim of the Grand Canyon? We're looking for potential overland trails (fairly tame, stock 16 Tacoma OR) coupled with hikes that will give us some awesome views. In addition, are there any campsites (preferably BLM) that are worth going to? We'll be spending about 4 days in the area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reactions: warlord385

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

There is established National Park campgrounds on the South Rim, and Forest Service area outside the Park. Numerous trailheads on the South Rim - Hermits, Bright Angel, Kiabab. A hike out to Plato Point and back-up is an all-day trip. Walking from the main Lodge to all the look-over points would also eat-up a full day. A major hike of South Rim to North Rim and back to South; takes a minimum of 4 days and is 50 miles. Have the Boy Scout 50 Miles patches to proof I done it, several times.

Reactions: T-88 and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey fellow overlanders,

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon at the end of next month, and I'm 100% unfamiliar with the trails down there, including hikes. Is there anything that is a "must do" at or near the South Rim of the Grand Canyon? We're looking for potential overland trails (fairly tame, stock 16 Tacoma OR) coupled with hikes that will give us some awesome views. In addition, are there any campsites (preferably BLM) that are worth going to? We'll be spending about 4 days in the area.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I'm just gonna leave this here. Let me know if you want more info.

https://www.overlandbound.com/grand-canyon-adventure-keeping-it-real-part-2/
I know you said South Rim, and @Chris Jones' trip report will be invaluable (as well as very nicely done, kudos Chris!), but I'd like to suggest you think about taking some time to also go 'round the east end of the canyon, across the Colorado River through the Hopi Res and western edge of the Painted Desert, and on up around and down 67 to the Kaibab Plateau and the North Rim.

You'll likely see a number of endangered California Condors at the bridge across the Colorado at the east end. I was there a few years ago and counted maybe twenty. Wingspan of about nine feet. Majestic soaring creatures.

The North Rim is at a higher elevation, has Ponderosa Pine forests and huge groves of Aspen, is the only home to the unusual and rare Kaibab Squirrel (pic below), and has the magnificent old log-cabin style North Rim Lodge. The Lodge has a soaring interior, huge stone balconies perched right on the edge of the canyon from which you can watch the sun move across the canyon. There are great little log cabins you can rent there, too, that have been around for ages. North Rim is nowhere near as crowded or as commercial as the South Rim.

There are trails on the North Rim as well, though I can't vouch for what's available or not or new since I was there years ago.

I worked at the North Rim Lodge for a few weeks, helping them close for the season. Once we were all closed, a bunch of us decided to hike across the canyon. Friends took their car and drove around through the Painted Desert to the South Rim. We started hiking down from the North Rim and they hiked down from the South Rim, and on the second night we all met down at Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the canyon and camped for the night near the Colorado. Then they hiked up to the North Rim and we hiked up to the South Rim and drove the car back around.

I'll always remember sleeping out in the open those nights--we were down in the canyon on-foot for several days--just a sleeping bag on the ground and the canyon walls and starry skies above. Sleeping out at the very bottom of the canyon though, I felt something large and multi-legged scramble across my face in the middle of the night. I suspect from the way it felt, size-wise, and the way multiple legs touched down and lifted, it was a scorpion or tarantula. I remember not being frightened, though, and that it felt a natural progression of being outside and living on the road for so long.

Sunrise in the canyon is one of the most beautiful things you'll ever see on this planet. The way the rich sandstone colors of canyon walls come to life as sun's first light creeps past the edge of the opposite wall warms heart and spirit like you wouldn't believe. It's like a slow shade being drawn in reverse as the dim light of pre-dawn makes way for bright warm colors of another sunny day in the canyon.

If you are thinking about going 'round to the North Rim, check the weather. It can have snow when the South Rim is all warm and dry.

Be sure to post back and let us know what you ended up doing, where you went, and what trails you found and liked.

kaibabsquirrel.jpg

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

I know you said South Rim, and @Chris Jones' trip report will be invaluable (as well as very nicely done, kudos Chris!), but I'd like to suggest you think about taking some time to also go 'round the east end of the canyon, across the Colorado River through the Hopi Res and western edge of the Painted Desert, and on up around and down 67 to the Kaibab Plateau and the North Rim.

You'll likely see a number of endangered California Condors at the bridge across the Colorado at the east end. I was there a few years ago and counted maybe twenty. Wingspan of about nine feet. Majestic soaring creatures.

The North Rim is at a higher elevation, has Ponderosa Pine forests and huge groves of Aspen, is the only home to the unusual and rare Kaibab Squirrel (pic below), and has the magnificent old log-cabin style North Rim Lodge. The Lodge has a soaring interior, huge stone balconies perched right on the edge of the canyon from which you can watch the sun move across the canyon. There are great little log cabins you can rent there, too, that have been around for ages. North Rim is nowhere near as crowded or as commercial as the South Rim.

There are trails on the North Rim as well, though I can't vouch for what's available or not or new since I was there years ago.

I worked at the North Rim Lodge for a few weeks, helping them close for the season. Once we were all closed, a bunch of us decided to hike across the canyon. Friends took their car and drove around through the Painted Desert to the South Rim. We started hiking down from the North Rim and they hiked down from the South Rim, and on the second night we all met down at Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the canyon and camped for the night near the Colorado. Then they hiked up to the North Rim and we hiked up to the South Rim and drove the car back around.

I'll always remember sleeping out in the open those nights--we were down in the canyon on-foot for several days--just a sleeping bag on the ground and the canyon walls and starry skies above. Sleeping out at the very bottom of the canyon though, I felt something large and multi-legged scramble across my face in the middle of the night. I suspect from the way it felt, size-wise, and the way multiple legs touched down and lifted, it was a scorpion or tarantula. I remember not being frightened, though, and that it felt a natural progression of being outside and living on the road for so long.

Sunrise in the canyon is one of the most beautiful things you'll ever see on this planet. The way the rich sandstone colors on canyon walls come to life as the sun's light creeps past the edge of the opposite wall warms your heart and spirit like you wouldn't believe. It's like a slow shade being drawn in reverse as the dim light of pre-dawn makes way for the bright warm colors of another sunny day in the canyon.

If you are thinking about going 'round to the North Rim, check the weather. It can have snow when the South Rim is all warm and dry.

Be sure to post back and let us know what you ended up doing, where you went, and what trails you found and liked.

View attachment 50866
Awesome reply @Road ! I'll mention what you said above to the wife, as we enjoy the less-commercial aspects of doing these trips (although we'll do some touristy things). Sounds like the North Rim is perfect for what we're looking to do. We did White Rim in Moab last year and have since tried to replicate the experience every year, with this trip being next up on the list. I'm going to do my best to take notes every day and take tons of pictures. I'll provide a write up for everything that we encounter. Thanks again!

Reactions: Road

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

There is established National Park campgrounds on the South Rim, and Forest Service area outside the Park. Numerous trailheads on the South Rim - Hermits, Bright Angel, Kiabab. A hike out to Plato Point and back-up is an all-day trip. Walking from the main Lodge to all the look-over points would also eat-up a full day. A major hike of South Rim to North Rim and back to South; takes a minimum of 4 days and is 50 miles. Have the Boy Scout 50 Miles patches to proof I done it, several times.
Thanks for the info! I think we're eyeing the Kiabab area for at least a night. You think a stock truck can handle the trails out there for the most part?

ScottinAZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
Member #

If you want to have the whole place to yourself.....Another option is Saddle Mountain Wilderness. Just east of the north rim, overlooking the upper portions of the grand canyon, and marble canyon, and looking down into the confluence of the little colorado. not too many people wander around this part. you can drive right up the canyon edge with dispersed camping in areas. lotsa of roads to drive & lotsa solitude.
it looks like this...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj5163Vv-3ZAhUGY6wKHUA1AH4QjRwIBg&url=http://www.scenicusa.net/061610.html&psig=AOvVaw1dd4HfHgatbh8lgCVMbrG8&ust=1521174712760176

https://www.outdoorproject.com/adventures/arizona/hikes/saddle-mountain-trail

Megadoomer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

N32°55'31.94",W117°05'20.21"
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Rossi
Member #

I just did North Rim with other Pig owners late june. Had a great time. The trails are easy but have great views. The weather is cooler on the north than the south. If you go to Jacob Lake get a milk shake too.20180622_111746.jpeg20180619_125518.jpeg20180619_114029.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Awesome man! The North Rim was closed when we went, but we've heard a lot of good things, so we'll probably be back there next summer. How was camping out there?

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Awesome man! The North Rim was closed when we went, but we've heard a lot of good things, so we'll probably be back there next summer. How was camping out there?
When was it closed? Been open as far as I know.....I was there end of June.

I tent camped at Jakob Lake for base camp, I did not like it, it was clean, very clean, but trucks on the highway which runs right next to your camp spot sucked. They had water but you was not allowed to use it other than drinking, which I guess is ok, but you got to fill a container then go wash or whatever...Picky I know..LOL
Much rather camp at DeMotte or other camps but I could only get res at JL.....Tons of dispersed camping as well

Jim

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

I tent camped at Jakob Lake for base camp, I did not like it, it was clean, very clean, but trucks on the highway which runs right next to your camp spot sucked. They had water but you was not allowed to use it other than drinking, which I guess is ok, but you got to fill a container then go wash or whatever...Picky I know..LOL
Much rather camp at DeMotte or other camps but I could only get res at JL.....Tons of dispersed camping as well

Jim
We went back in April, so the North Rim was closed due to snow at the time. I believe the North opened up in May at some point, but I could be wrong.

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Jim
We went back in April, so the North Rim was closed due to snow at the time. I believe the North opened up in May at some point, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Jim SoG