AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
My personal opinion is there is not a good dedicated GPS unit for off-road use. Others can disagree. Everyone I have seen does not have the flexibility of a smartphone/tablet app. Magellan has a new one and I think Garmin has one. If you gave me one for free I wouldn't use it.

Get a good dedicated tablet if need be for under $200 and a good Ram mount. I use my iPad but a 7-8" Android tablet is an affordable option. Look at what Asus has to offer. Just remember the real cheap ones around $100-$125 typically do not have the new hi-res screens. As for what app. Well lots of threads on this if you decide to go that route.

Magellan TN1700SGLUC EXplorist TRX7 Off-Road GPS Navigator
by Magellan
Link: https://amzn.com/B01AWYMI3U
Only $579! Sigh.....

Reactions: Kelly

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
I've been on the search for a GPS and as 1Louder stated, a tablet seems to be the way to go. The versatility of a tablet, combined with the plethora of available navigation apps geared toward off road use, the ability to monitor your rig's vitals and a 10" screen if you so desire, and it's a tough option to pass up.

The hard part, as I've discovered, is finding a navigation app that works for you. There are a lot of them out there.