TatankaTJ

Rank 0

Contributor I

corvallis, OR
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Stone
I am looking for a Blue Tooth GPS receiver to communicate with my Ipad4 Air. I am looking at the Dual XGPS150A and Garmin Glo 2 units. Any suggestions on what I should purchase? Garmin mini In Reach?

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

I am looking for a Blue Tooth GPS receiver to communicate with my Ipad4 Air. I am looking at the Dual XGPS150A and Garmin Glo 2 units. Any suggestions on what I should purchase? Garmin mini In Reach?
I have a Dual XGPS160 (very similar to the 150A - I think the difference is that upto 5 devices can simultaneously connect to the 160 and the battery lasts about 20% longer). Where my iPad mounts, the internal GPS typically locks on 3-8 GPS satellites, and I would often find places in the mountains where my position wouldn't update for a half mile or so. The XGPS160 sitting on the dash under the windshield typically locks on ~10-12 GPS satellites plus 6-8 GLONASS satellites. The position lock is **VERY** solid and I've yet to have a situation where it wasn't updating pretty close to continuously.

Bottom line: I love it.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
You might look at the Garmin In Reach which will BT to your iPad and act as a GPS and also is a satellite communicator in case you get into trouble or want to send messages to someone back home. More expensive and requires a service plan for the satcom abilities but certainly a great dual purpose device.

Reactions: LostInThought

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

You might look at the Garmin In Reach which will BT to your iPad and act as a GPS and also is a satellite communicator in case you get into trouble or want to send messages to someone back home. More expensive and requires a service plan for the satcom abilities but certainly a great dual purpose device.
Are you saying that if you have an inreach, you dont need the garmin Glo? I am so very low tech and really struggle with this stuff.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Are you saying that if you have an inreach, you dont need the garmin Glo? I am so very low tech and really struggle with this stuff.
I have neither of these Garmin products - my understanding is that the InReach will share its GPS via BT with a tablet/phone device. There are user testimonials around here that state that this is the case and this support article indicates that it will work. Searched the webz a bit and found lots of references to pairing an InReach to your table/phone for use with the Earhmate app.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I have neither of these Garmin products - my understanding is that the InReach will share its GPS via BT with a tablet/phone device. There are user testimonials around here that state that this is the case and this support article indicates that it will work. Searched the webz a bit and found lots of references to pairing an InReach to your table/phone for use with the Earhmate app.
thank you. I will have to do some more reading. I was born to early. LOL

• Haha

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
thank you. I will have to do some more reading. I was born to early. LOL
If you search these forums you will find a lot of good info. Seems like lots of folks are using the InReach this way. I have my eye on one but it’s not a need. ;)

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Welcome to Overland Bound
You might want to ask the questions on either the general page or comms page in order to get more traction.
Your Regional Director is @M Rose for additional help or information.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Garmin inreach does a great job for me and also has many other benefits.

Pete

Rank V
Launch Member

Endurance II

Sheridan Oregon
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Pringle
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7FVB
Try the Spot X, I've been using it for quite awhile and haven't had any issues, the SOV feature is great to have just incase you have a breakdown.

TatankaTJ

Rank 0

Contributor I

corvallis, OR
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Stone
Welcome to Overland Bound
You might want to ask the questions on either the general page or comms page in order to get more traction.
Your Regional Director is @M Rose for additional help or information.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Thanks, Kent. Still learning my way around this forum.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
No problem I just want to make sure you get the information you are looking for.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I have the inreach+ and it works great for me and my ipad plus if in a jam I can comm with it. You do need a plan but the got what is called freedom plan, which means you turn it on (pay for monthly) and when back home turn it off (suspend the plan). Not all that bad......

Jim

Reactions: Ubiety and Kent R

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have the inreach+ and it works great for me and my ipad plus if in a jam I can comm with it. You do need a plan but the got what is called freedom plan, which means you turn it on (pay for monthly) and when back home turn it off (suspend the plan). Not all that bad......

Jim
Thanks for the confirmation!

Reactions: Jim SoG