Taylor, MI, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Rebar
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I should probably post this question on some tech forum, but I'm hoping that someone here may have an answer. I am preparing to purchase a Galaxy Tab A 8 to mount in my Jeep in order to run GAIA. There is a considerable difference in price if I buy a Wi-Fi only Tab A versus an LTE Tab A. The benefit of the LTE version is obviously that it has a compass built in, which is then used by GAIA for full functionality. The Wi-Fi only models do not have the internal compass, so run GAIA without showing your current position, if I understand it correctly.

My question is pretty specific, but maybe someone has asked something similar. I am wondering if GAIA (being run on a Wi-Fi only Tab A) would be able to utilize the GPS compass on a phone or smart watch that was connected to the Tab A by bluetooth. My bunch is telling me no, that the program would be searching for particular piece of hardware on the Tab A, or at least a certain type of code, but all I can muster is a bunch because I am not overly literate in the digital world.

If anyone can possibly shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
I just bought a Vankyo tablet with built in GPS for navigation. But I have no idea how to use it or what GPS app I should use. So this thread is subscribed to see your answers.

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
Is there a prefered YouTube or website to get a good tutorial on Gaia?

DefCon2

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Taylor, MI, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Rebar
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I have the tab A LTE, mine does not have a compass, but it does have a GPS module built in and it's a great device for overlanding/exploring. I use Gaia on it and it's awesome IMO.
I may be using incorrect terminology, but the GPS module you mention is what I believe is missing on the Wi-Fi only model. I've been reading other threads and have found that many use external GPS antennae in order to run GAIA on some tablets. I'm thinking the ease of the LTE version is most likely well worth the extra expense.

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
BTW, the Vankyo tablet was $79 on Amazon. 12-14 hour battery life and built in GPS. Micro SD card slot. Might just be the ticket!

Reactions: DefCon2

PortageBay

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Tucson, AZ United States
First Name
Bob
Last Name
McNamara
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KDØWBK
I run the Tab A in my truck and use Gaia, Garmin Earthmate and several HAM radio apps. What you need is a GPS receiver chip in the tablet (not a compass) The Tab A that I have does not have the LTE (cellphone) chip but does have the GPS chip. I believe all Samsung tablets have the GPS chip. On the other hand you have to pay the extra $130 for the LTE version of an iPad to get the GPS chip. Check the specs on the Tab A, I think you will find it has the GPS chip, mine does and it works great.... Don't forget to download the maps you need while at home (using WiFi) before you head into the wild...

Kyjeeper

Rank II
Investor

Contributor III

Louisa Ky
First Name
Will
Last Name
Lampert
Member #

I run a tab A 8” non cellular tablet with Gaia premium. Works flawlessly, never had any issues.
Great investment.

I actually got an external gps puck when I was gathering everything and once I realized the tablet didn’t need it I sent it back for a refund.

Reactions: DefCon2

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
I tried my Vankyo tablet with GPS using Gaia today. Worked perfectly! Downloaded the map for the area I was going to be in and it tracked perfectly. Even with the tablet on the center console with no direct view of the sky. Can't wait to use it on some off road adventures.

Reactions: Graeman

DefCon2

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Taylor, MI, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Rebar
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
This is what I found on the GAIA website forum. It is from a member of the GAIA staff.

We don't have a specific device that we recommend, although we've noticed that the Samsung Tab series seems to be popular with users.

To run the app, you need a tablet with:
-A GPS chip, or purchase a GPS receiver
-Android 4.1+
-A compass sensor

Based on reports from users, performance is better with:
-lots of RAM and a fast CPU, which helps load maps faster
-lots of hard drive space for downloading maps for offline use (or an SD card)

You may find these forum threads helpful:
GaiaGPS

Other responses indicated that the LTE version allows more functions than the Wi-Fi only version. Now I'm a bit confused, based on a few above the above responses.

Reactions: Graeman and JMD23

DefCon2

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Taylor, MI, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Rebar
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Here's a submission from a member (Nathan):

A compass sensor is required in order to use the Gaia GPS compass, I apologize for not including that in my previous message.

Here are the main three things to keep in mind when looking for am Android tablet to run Gaia GPS on:

Android OS 5 or newer
A GPS Chip (necessary for finding your location offline)
A compass sensor (optional, but necessary to use the compass)

And here's the response from the GAIA staff:

I have updated Nathan's message above, as Android 5 is now the minimum required version to run Gaia GPS. Sorry for the confusion.

We don't have an official recommendation for devices to use with Gaia GPS - many users have had success with both iPhones and Android devices.

A few notes when looking for a new device:

Double-check that the device has a built-in GPS and compass.
Ensure it runs either: iOS 11 or higher, or Android 5 or higher
I would suggest looking for a device with at least 1 GB of RAM, as recording tracks can use up a bit of memory. 2 or even 4 GB is even better.
Other users have recommended getting a device with at least 32GB of internal storage to download maps for offline use.

We have had users report that they use Galaxy Tab devices with great success.

If you have any further questions, please contact Support here.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I have a Samsung TAB A tablet . It has an internal GPS capability. Try turning on the location feature.

John-Scott

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Benson Way, Ashland, Oregon 97520, United States
First Name
Johnt
Last Name
Forester
Member #

I have a Samsung TabA. I was not able to get GAIA to work well with that setup. Probably me. I also have and use the Garmin InReach. By Bluetoothing the Inreach and the Tablet I know exactly where I am on the downloadable topo maps. The map functions do not seem as robust as GAIA but I can set routes on my home computer and synchronize with the TabA.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I have a Samsung TabA. I was not able to get GAIA to work well with that setup. Probably me. I also have and use the Garmin InReach. By Bluetoothing the Inreach and the Tablet I know exactly where I am on the downloadable topo maps. The map functions do not seem as robust as GAIA but I can set routes on my home computer and synchronize with the TabA.
Yeah, I think that's a user issue. I have the TAB A lte tablet and gaia works awesome. I have about 50 routes plotted via my laptop in my tablet now. It's really easy to use once you know what to look for.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Yeah trying to find a good device to run GAIA is proving to be frustrating. I don't know a lot about these things and when you search on Amazon for a Samsung Tab A it's a sea of 15 million options. So until I can nail down a solid part number for a 8" Samsung tablet that is reliable with GAIA, I will just keep researching. So many opinions and not enough details here. Please hold my hand:blush: