Joe
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ke0uvb
Service Branch
USAF
Has anyone used GPS Kevin's card for the Trans American Trail. If so did it work well for you. We could not access or contact the other guy with maps. They were 7 or 8 times the money anyway. If you have any info on this please let me know.
Thanks
Joe

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

Has anyone used GPS Kevin's card for the Trans American Trail. If so did it work well for you. We could not access or contact the other guy with maps. They were 7 or 8 times the money anyway. If you have any info on this please let me know.
Thanks
Joe
I hope this reply doesn't get to you too late. I was actually just on the Trans American Trail website checking things out to possibly plan a trip for myself in the future and there is an Advisory about GPS Kevin. I guess people have been getting gps tracks from there that aren't the official TAT tracks and actually lead onto private property. Here's a link to the page.
https://www.transamtrail.com/plan/
Best of luck.

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mechanicsville Iowa
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ke0uvb
Service Branch
USAF
I hope this reply doesn't get to you too late. I was actually just on the Trans American Trail website checking things out to possibly plan a trip for myself in the future and there is an Advisory about GPS Kevin. I guess people have been getting gps tracks from there that aren't the official TAT tracks and actually lead onto private property. Here's a link to the page.
https://www.transamtrail.com/plan/
Best of luck.
Thanks, we have tried to get Sam's information with no luck and no response. It seems there is a battle between the two. Don't know the details but we have maps and charts in addition to the GPS files. It all about the trip anyway.

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

Thanks, we have tried to get Sam's information with no luck and no response. It seems there is a battle between the two. Don't know the details but we have maps and charts in addition to the GPS files. It all about the trip anyway.
That's really unfortunate that you aren't able to get the official GPS files. I wonder whats going on that would be causing an issue. I'd imagine with maps, charts, and GPS files, you hopefully won't have much to worry about though.

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mechanicsville Iowa
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ke0uvb
Service Branch
USAF
That's really unfortunate that you aren't able to get the official GPS files. I wonder whats going on that would be causing an issue. I'd imagine with maps, charts, and GPS files, you hopefully won't have much to worry about though.
From the research and maps I've seen the track is nearly identical. However this one can start on the east coast. Dipping rear wheels in the Atlantic , front wheels in the Pacific. Files newly updates, we should be ready. Adventure, and fun exploring is what we are after. I'm sure we will run into many new places, people and challenges . If we run into blocked private land we will go around or ask permission to pass. Respecting others is our mind set. We will not however let others take advantage of us. I served this country to preserve it, I just want to see as much of it as possible.

Reactions: HoneyBadgerXJ

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

From the research and maps I've seen the track is nearly identical. However this one can start on the east coast. Dipping rear wheels in the Atlantic , front wheels in the Pacific. Files newly updates, we should be ready. Adventure, and fun exploring is what we are after. I'm sure we will run into many new places, people and challenges . If we run into blocked private land we will go around or ask permission to pass. Respecting others is our mind set. We will not however let others take advantage of us. I served this country to preserve it, I just want to see as much of it as possible.
I like that mentality man. In my opinion, that's what's important. Adventure and new experiences. That's why I love overlanding. What branch of service were you in?

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
I know what you mean. Things aren't going so well for our country right now and it's certainly troubling. Our country needs to be protected from creeping Fascism these days. It's a very real danger. I was in the Navy Seabees for 4 years and served in Viet Nam I Corps (Hue, Phu Bai) '67-'68. Bad shit at that time. None-the-less, I'm ready to do it again to preserve our freedoms.