Got wood??

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Viking1204

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
S
Member #

Anyone help you with your RTT yet. Will you leave it up there permanently ? Might need to build an A Frame hoist for future on and offs.
Pictures would be nice,anxious to see what you did.
I have a kayak lift on a pulley system in the garage that will get it up there, just not sure I have the clearance as my truck is 4x4 and lifted a bit. The garage is also a mess right now since I'm not allowed to have a shed on my property due to the Homeowner's restrictions. Once I do get it up there it will stay up there all Fall, Winter, Spring. I'll take it off during the summer due to the hot weather and little camping I'll do then, not to mention what the Florida sun might do to the cover of the tent. Haven't seen anything yet hold up to it very well. I might use some boards to slide it up there if I can't get a friend to come over and help. Just been so hot I'm kind of holding off on doing it praying we finally get some cooler weather!

Reactions: Lanlubber

Lanlubber

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mimbres, NM, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have a kayak lift on a pulley system in the garage that will get it up there, just not sure I have the clearance as my truck is 4x4 and lifted a bit. The garage is also a mess right now since I'm not allowed to have a shed on my property due to the Homeowner's restrictions. Once I do get it up there it will stay up there all Fall, Winter, Spring. I'll take it off during the summer due to the hot weather and little camping I'll do then, not to mention what the Florida sun might do to the cover of the tent. Haven't seen anything yet hold up to it very well. I might use some boards to slide it up there if I can't get a friend to come over and help. Just been so hot I'm kind of holding off on doing it praying we finally get some cooler weather!
You just may have to rent yourself a storage unit for your gear and for working on your rig. I'm surprised your HO Organization will even let you work on your car in the drive way.

Lanlubber

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mimbres, NM, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
Anthony Weiner was not invited to participate in this thread.
He would get cooked if he was
Great thread, but given the subject I was almost afraid to check.....
Great group of guys on this thread and much valuable accurate info passes over these pages. Glad you found it.

4wheelspulling

NorthWest Region Member Represetative
Staff member

Traveler I

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

The title had me worried a bit tell I read the great replies. As some of you know, I troll different sections on our OB site, and can modify or delete inappropriate posts. But the great group we have, that does not have to happen often! Thank-you! Vance

Reactions: Lanlubber

grubworm

Rank V

Influencer I

Louisiana, USA
First Name
mike
Last Name
c
Member #

Landlubber,
That was good! Haha. Vance.
Ha Ha..that was real good. I'll be heading west to check out Landlubbers wood pile...BUT he's going to have to overland himself over here for a swamp tour in my boat, eat some fried gator tail AND turn a piece of good ole Louisiana oak on my lathe. You ain't "overlanded" until you've done that....

Last edited:

Lanlubber

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mimbres, NM, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
Ha Ha..that was real good. I'll be heading west to check out Landlubbers wood pile...BUT he's going to have to overland himself over here for a swamp tour in my boat, eat some fried gator tail AND turn a piece of good ole Louisiana oak on my lathe. You ain't "overlanded" until you've done that....
Speaking of wood working, I'm going to mock up a front winch bumper for my LRD2 out of 2x6, 2x4 , 2x2 and plywood, to give to my welder so he can duplicate it using steel. The purpose would be to make sure of the fit and appearance that I want. The design would be LRD2 specific. If it comes out okay I will share the cad drawings with the other newbies with LRD's for their use. I have drawings for a rear bumper as well that is simple and cheap to build by DIY guys.
Looking forward to the swamp boat tour and some good gator tail fry @ grubworms place
when I'm back on my feet again.
Lanlubber Jim

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V

Influencer I

Louisiana, USA
First Name
mike
Last Name
c
Member #

Speaking of wood working, I'm going to mock up a front winch bumper for my LRD2 out of 2x6, 2x4 , 2x2 and plywood, to give to my welder so he can duplicate it using steel. The purpose would be to make sure of the fit and appearance that I want. The design would be LRD2 specific. If it comes out okay I will share the cad drawings with the other newbies with LRD's for their use. I have drawings for a rear bumper as well that is simple and cheap to build by DIY guys.
Looking forward to the swamp boat tour and some good gator tail fry @ grubworms place
when I'm back on my feet again.
Lanlubber Jim
Very cool! I'm sure some folks out there will appreciate your design and sharing the CAD drawings. Woodworking and overlanding do to together a good bit. Is it going to be integrated with a winch?

Lanlubber

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mimbres, NM, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
Very cool! I'm sure some folks out there will appreciate your design and sharing the CAD drawings. Woodworking and overlanding do to together a good bit. Is it going to be integrated with a winch?
Not the mock up but yes my fabricated bumper will have a winch mount. this is what I came up with. It's made with 2x6 C channel bottom and 2x4 C channel above with 2x2 tubing on top for light mounts.

Attachments