GoPro

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Nor Cal
Hey all

Do any of you use a go pro and mount it on your dashboard to record everything you see on your drive to and from?

Have any sturdy recommendations for go pro mounts? Other than the ones that you guys build and construct to add to your vehicles. I am thinking about buying a go pro and I want to buy a sturdy mount for my truck (for when I go camping).

Thanks!

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
Grab yourself a GoPro 7 and a Ram mount with suction cup and you're good to go. I stick mine right to the inside of the windshield and can move it around depending on what I'm trying to capture. The mount it very stable, and any little shaking from the mount is negated by the GoPro 7's picture stability. The video looks like its being taken using a high end Sony from a couple years ago mounted on a gimbal.

Flamewave

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakdale, CT
First Name
John
Last Name
Matusiak
Member #

I actually run a bunch of cameras. I have two full-time Viofo A119s's fore and aft, an Eken H9r, a GoPro Hero 4 Session and two GoPro Hero 7 Blacks. The Viofos are good if you want something that runs every day, they record 1080p60 and it has a pretty sharp image, I run a polarizer on the one in front to keep dash glare down. For the action cams I have two three-cup mounts that I keep tethered. I also run some extension arms but the ball joint on the mounts is kinda weak when running those so you need to set it up so it doesn't work its way loose. I also have one of these which helps leveling the shot when side-mounting.

You can see the three-cup mount in my sig. Haven't had a problem with it not sticking as long as the cups are clean.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

mrpnicolas

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nicolas
Member #

My Jeep uses a 67 designs rail system with ram mounts. I'm looking for something to mount it outside the rig for different angles. I'm not too comfortable using the suctions. Anyone have ideas?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Which GoPro and why for overlanding? I'm curious about starting to better record my fun.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
my go-pro came with 3 or 4 mounts. i use the suction mount a lot and sometimes i stick it on the outside of the window.
another mount that came with it is the handlebar mount, i use it on my quad and sometimes mount it on the truck mirror bracket.
the only other mount i use is my helmet mount for when i'm riding. between the 3 i have managed to get some cool footage.
Which camera model do you have?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I’ve got the hero 7 black and hero 8 black bookmarked. I kinda like the idea of a swivel mount to look down a trail, but still be able to swing it to the sides or even back on me if I wanted to comment.

i haven’t convinced myself it’s something I need yet.

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

I’ve got the hero 7 black and hero 8 black bookmarked. I kinda like the idea of a swivel mount to look down a trail, but still be able to swing it to the sides or even back on me if I wanted to comment.

i haven’t convinced myself it’s something I need yet.
I have a Hero 7 Black and the HyperSmooth (as GoPro calls it) image stabilization is pretty amazing. I can't say for certain, not having ever used one, but I imagine it's even better on the 8. HyperSmooth is not available on Hero Black 6 and earlier. So, based on that alone, I would recommend a Hero Black 7 at a minimum, unless you find a Hero Black 6 for really cheap.

Reactions: Sparksalot

AaronRidley

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Lunas, NM, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Ridley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5ADR
I've been putting some thought into this as well as I'm pretty new to overloading. But coming from a filmmakers perspective I'd get wild and creative with all the camera angles I could use to capture everything I could. Especially low angels, just cause it makes everything look bigger and everything looks like it's moving faster. Kinda like putting stickers on a bicycle, there's just a coolness factor to it. But when you are filming on a budget rewarding shots tend to also be high risk as well so something to keep in mind.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

My Jeep uses a 67 designs rail system with ram mounts. I'm looking for something to mount it outside the rig for different angles. I'm not too comfortable using the suctions. Anyone have ideas?
I use a KC HiLites external mount on the bottom of the A pillar to get good clean shots outside the vehicle. Good action shots with water, dirt, etc.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have the GoPro 6 and 8. I don't want to add any more gadgets to my windshield or dash, but if I had to I would just use what it came with or have my passenger take pics. :)

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I've got two Hero 4s. I used the sticky mounts they came with to mount to my windshield and on the outside of the rear window on the passenger side, haven't had a problem with them. Haven't used them in a while, but that may well change soon. I have a suction cup mount but haven't used it in a long time either.

AaronRidley

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Lunas, NM, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Ridley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5ADR
Has anyone bought a refurbished Go Pro off of Ebay ?
Buying used gear off of Ebay kind of scares me, especially camera gear, but that may just be my personal bias.

I have bought refurbished equipment off of B&H and I have yet to be disappointed. They are very good with their used rating system. My rule of thumb is to buy anything over a 9.

I suppose though for a GoPro you could settle for less as long as it operates normally because as far as cosmetic damage goes you can pretty much order any piece you need to replace on one though their official website ie. battery doors, lens covers, etc. But that may only apply to more current models.

Hawkeye #1

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Denmark, Iowa
First Name
David
Last Name
Yaley
Member #

Buying used gear off of Ebay kind of scares me, especially camera gear, but that may just be my personal bias.

I have bought refurbished equipment off of B&H and I have yet to be disappointed. They are very good with their used rating system. My rule of thumb is to buy anything over a 9.

I suppose though for a GoPro you could settle for less as long as it operates normally because as far as cosmetic damage goes you can pretty much order any piece you need to replace on one though their official website ie. battery doors, lens covers, etc. But that may only apply to more current models.
Thanks Aaron for the reply

Reactions: AaronRidley