Steward I

Biblical Garden, Elgin, Scotland IV30 1HU, United Kingdom
First Name
Steve
Last Name
W
Member #

So, firstly hello,

I have just signed up to this as i was shown it by a friend. I am Western Europe based but live in the UK-shortly to be moving to Northern Scotland.

I have a daily drive rig which is and Isuzu DMax Utah 2015 (pictured in German winter last xmas) I am already around a year and a half into my build/adventure. Its important to me to have a rig that is flexible so most of my items must be removable. Next big ticket items will be an RSI Smartcanopy which will be fitted in the next few weeks once it arrives from SA. Then fitting the waiting Aux battery set up!

Hope to meet you all! I will be attending the Autumn AOS show, but will be camped with UK-Overlanders forum. Then hopefully going to Adventure Northside in Germany. I also hope to complete sections of the Pyrenees in July so that should be good!

Cheers all!

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Hi & welcome!

Sounds like you have a great setup although didn’t find the photo mentioned. We’ll be at the AO show too. Hopefully catch up then.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Hi and welcome. Not sure what shows etc.. we'll be able to get to this year, but look forward to seeing your build.

caspoint220

local Expert, West Europe
Launch Member

Steward I

First Name
Steve
Last Name
W
Member #

Hi guys, i meant the photo in my profile pic sorry lol - all the photos i have on this tablet are pretty crap. I didnt put too much info on as i dont know if there is a separate thread section for builds (uk specific)

Looking towards the future i hope this platform takes off! It would be great if the UK section had its own sub sections, but i suppose thats alot of work!.....

Last edited:

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Hi guys, i meant the photo in my profile pic sorry lol - all the photos i have on this tablet are pretty crap. I didnt put too much info on as i dont know if there is a separate thread section for builds (uk specific)

Looking towards the future i hope this platform takes off! It would be great if the UK section had its own sub sections, but i suppose thats alot of work!.....
Hah! Cool, using the mobile app so didn’t see the detail of your profile pic. If you have ideas for the forum give @Kevigizmo our region ambassador a shout.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Kevigizmo

caspoint220

Launch Member

Steward I

First Name
Steve
Last Name
W
Member #

Yeah , its a new forum so im sure that will come in time. So i suppose i might as well add the details of my build here lol

Already in the DMax is,
SilentCoat soundproofing
Aeroclas rear bed protector
Front Runner rail system (to secure my wolf boxes etc)
Front Runner battery box which is yet to power anything
CTEK D250SA
Tuff Trek TT-02 roof tent with annex
Hardwired HD dashcam - worry free scenery shots.
Thule Load bar system (soon to be replaced)

In the garage waiting to be fitted.
Wilderness Lighting scene lights x 4
Rigid Industries Spot lights x 2 and light bar
Aux battery wiring and fusing system with carling rocker switches for ancils
Hectic Leisure Safari kitchen (being delivered with RSI smartcanopy)
RSI smartcanopy (being delivered)
Front Runner load bar system (to be mounted on RSI for RTT)

Next items on the immediate wish list,
A fridge freezer (sno master/engel or waeco)
Front runner exped roof rack to raplace factory bars
Pedders Susp upgrade
Underbody armour.

I aim to complete all of this by early June so i can have a small test run to the Pyrenees, but even if i dont get it all done im still going lol!

Reactions: Kevigizmo

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Sounds like a good build coming on there.

Build threads are here. Nothing specific for UK, or any regions for that matter, think the theory is to keep all builds in one place.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Yeah , its a new forum so im sure that will come in time. So i suppose i might as well add the details of my build here lol

Already in the DMax is,
SilentCoat soundproofing
Aeroclas rear bed protector
Front Runner rail system (to secure my wolf boxes etc)
Front Runner battery box which is yet to power anything
CTEK D250SA
Tuff Trek TT-02 roof tent with annex
Hardwired HD dashcam - worry free scenery shots.
Thule Load bar system (soon to be replaced)

In the garage waiting to be fitted.
Wilderness Lighting scene lights x 4
Rigid Industries Spot lights x 2 and light bar
Aux battery wiring and fusing system with carling rocker switches for ancils
Hectic Leisure Safari kitchen (being delivered with RSI smartcanopy)
RSI smartcanopy (being delivered)
Front Runner load bar system (to be mounted on RSI for RTT)

Next items on the immediate wish list,
A fridge freezer (sno master/engel or waeco)
Front runner exped roof rack to raplace factory bars
Pedders Susp upgrade
Underbody armour.

I aim to complete all of this by early June so i can have a small test run to the Pyrenees, but even if i dont get it all done im still going lol!
I got the pedders But check out ironman
You allready have underbody protection On the front.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
yeah i seen the ironman kit too, ill give it another scout before i commit to buy
I got the pedders fitted by my Isuzu dealers , Just seen were your based Not far from the Black Isle great country all around you with wild camping in obundance

caspoint220

Launch Member

Steward I

First Name
Steve
Last Name
W
Member #

Time for a small update i suppose, its no shock i am overseas AGAIN as most will know from FB/Whatsapp. In my short time at home, the RSI smartcanopy was fitted, hectic leisure canopy collected and tested amongst others.....

RSI-FANTASTIC pieces of kit. I had front runner load bars fitted with the RSI, as well as positive pressure hatch (doggos) as well as 2 removable full length shelf units. I also added the security grill for the rear window. What i will say is, coming from SA the seals that come with it are not up to EU water levels. I was warned about this so no biggy, i sealed the seems with some black high flex high temp silicone sealant. Looks the part and keeps the drips out. I can now be found comfortably standing on the roof gazing into the distance......seriously though the peace of mind the RSI has given me with regards to loads on the move etc is mega.

I fitted a front runner load securing rail on each side of the bed, this runs full length, and paired with the trucks factory tie down points, secures all our equipment.

The Hectic leisure kitchen is mega, as i like flexibility with all my kit, its handy to just chuck in and off we go. HOWEVER, its rated for high pressure bottles, something i didnt know. The only bottles i can find to fit it are Colemans 2kg ones, which is fine, but for the first few weeks i was pulling my hair out, i even bought a calor regulator and bottle. This was no good, as EU bottles dont have enough pressure, so i was only getting a tiny ignition flame. I should have asked the company before tinkering, oh well.

We did manage to get out and about to Germany and into the Scottish highlands, i promise i will add photos at a later date.

Future plans, i am home in just over a month for a well deserved rest period. Time to get out and about. At the minute, couple of weekends and day trips, culminating in the NC500 and the Spring AOS (Apr/May)- with a trip to Germany planned in Aug. Cant wait.

Oztent Foxwing next, luckily i held off on the purchase, as they just brought version 2 out yesterday and i would have been a bit miffed if i bought the old model so close to the new ones launch. BOAB Limited, have informed me that they will be receiving stock in Spring. So ill be snapping one of those up!

Anyway, that'll do.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Oztent Foxwing next, luckily i held off on the purchase, as they just brought version 2 out yesterday and i would have been a bit miffed if i bought the old model so close to the new ones launch. BOAB Limited, have informed me that they will be receiving stock in Spring. So ill be snapping one of those up!

Anyway, that'll do.
Give Barbara and Brendan at 4x4overlander a call re the new Foxwing, I'm sure they'll be getting some soon.

Reactions: caspoint220

Aaron Boyer

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Carlisle, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Boyer
Member #

caspoint220

Launch Member

Steward I

First Name
Steve
Last Name
W
Member #

And so we have reset and cleaned everything after another weekend away. Kinloss > Tebay > Adventure Overland Show > Galloway Forest and the Raiders Road > Kinloss. A trip that seen us rack up another 1060 miles door to door. Transit day down wasnt bad and a decision was made to stay over night at Tebay service station, a choice we would later kick ourselves about! Paying 10 quid for an over night spot in a carpark

We then headed to Stratford upon Avon, arriving at the AOS around 12 noon on the Friday. We set up, said our hellos and cracked a beer. Camping between the UK Overlanders group and Overland Bound base camp, denoted by @Polaris Overland LRover! It was our first AOS and although storm Hannah tested some of our patience (and kit and techniques) we held out, despite some people packing up! We braved it, and where rewarded with snug campfires, no Qs for showers or toilets, and the sun eventually coming out on Sunday which made for a great end. Of note, great to finally meet @blackntan and all the other members that popped over to camp or say hello. Was also great to catch up with the guys from Global Convoy, who just set off on a journey to Albania and begged us to go with them! Good luck to them! Was also great to see Veterans Expedition Overland, a UK based charity close to my heart. Run by like minded mentalists like me! We had a beer or seven.........

Was also great to see some products in the flesh, primarily OZtent Foxwing, seeing the damage storm Hannah done to some, I have to rethink my choice. I will say, that a friend of mine had his up, with all tapered sides on, all guy ropes pegged in, and had no damage. It was great to meet the Bundock Trailer guys and see the Road Shower 4 in action aswell as meeting with Dara from Tuff Trek to share a beer and some laughs.

Come Sunday, we said our goodbyes, which took around 2 hours itself, and began the journey north. Our plan was to hit the Galloway Park forest on recommendation from @Europe Overland. But after a bit of advice from Tuff Trek and the guys at Roads Less Traveled, we had a spot in mind. We arrived at the woods around 11pm, giving Warren a chance to test out his Wilderness Light bar (finally) in anger. Safe to say, we found a spot with ease. Set up and cracked a beer before turning in. Come sunrise, we packed up, had a brew and a biscuit and set off for the Raiders road via Clatteringshaws Dam Visitor centre. A brief meet with Lesley of the South region Forestry commission (stay tuned for more on this) then it was off to hit the Raiders Road.

10 miles of gravel forest tracks, with spurs and other tracks leading of to different areas of the national park are what makes up the raiders road. With spots to fit 1 4x4 all along the route and a couple of places where you could easily fit 10+ rigs, specifically the Otters Pool. We left the raiders and headed to New Galloway to the village cafe. We then hit the road and headed home. All in all a banging weekend.

Attachments

caspoint220

Launch Member

Steward I

First Name
Steve
Last Name
W
Member #

Alas, its now time for a well earned break from work! Although I'm still on call until next Monday lol.

So, its been a busy old time....... tinkering with the truck, and even a wee trip away (unplanned) , so the update goes.......

Firstly - (finally) went firm on a plan for my aux battery, luckily i have a whole workshop available (if the payment is right) through work. The fabricator was able to make a side box similar to RSI 1/2 box. However, my one is twice as thick for strength, has a dividing partition and is more a 3/4 box. Leaving enough space for the positive air hatch to keep the dogs happy in the back. I received the box and after a little gentle persuasion with a hammer and adjustable spanner, i fitted it. I wasn't happy that the box (15kgs) was mounted only on 4, rather puny looking, ungraded factory supplied bolts from RSI. So I learnt about nut and bolt tensile strength and grading, and bought some HEFTY (probably over the top) bolts and nyloc nuts. This has been in for a week now with no movement or load damage. I want it to be strong as it will house my aux electrics and battery, i also want it to be sturdy - as no one wants damage do they! The box cost me a total of 20 strongbow dark fruits and a few quid for bolts. Saving hundreds for an RSI one!

Next, timed perfectly with a little bonus from work, the CTEK DS250SA received all the components, cables, gubbins to get it fitted. Including a NASA BM2. Now all that i need is the actual battery, which i should have August(ish). I can then start to chip away at the "to do" shelf. As 95% of the stuff to do is directly to do or powered by the aux battery.

Next, the post lifted straight from the FB page and photos of the last few weeks :grinning:,

So the start of this week seen a drop of the hat , pack-it and f*** off type trip. The wife had a couple of free days off, as did I. We jumped at the chance, tent on, stuff in, food an water loaded, scooped the dogs in the back an off we went. We left on the first night around 1930 so where keen to find somewhere close, due to work on-call commitments, I cant go further than an hour away ‍♂, so we headed towards Nairn and thought we would give Culbin Forest a shot. At £2 a night with miles of forest track leading to the sea, it's not to be sniffed at. 24hr toilets on site. We unpacked and settled down for a nice wee evening.

Morning came and we packed up, took the dogs for a few miles to burn them out and hit the road. Upon another OB members recommendation, we hit Loch Garten via Grantown on Spey for an ice cream. Another great wee spot, free of charge and stealth camping is required here. The pictures tell the story, of note, the trip tested our response time from truck completely stripped, to fully loaded including the hounds (about an hour to load all-the wife even helped load the tent for the first time!). We then trundled off just randomly at first. We also stopped by Bromhill Bridge, a 120 year old wooden truss road bridge near the Speyside steam railway. This bridge is still in use and we did cross it. I loved it (being an engineering type) anyway enough talk, have a swatch at the photos I'll upload most of them to OB Forum.

66842427_10218191495435297_7543779729489264640_o.jpg67237469_10218191492835232_3361823361033306112_n.jpg67589690_10218191498435372_1378090426434584576_o.jpg67568389_10218191497395346_7677874350841659392_o.jpg67547007_10218191490235167_3073617599339167744_n.jpg67481426_10218191491275193_8136540771739238400_n.jpg67403027_10218191496155315_3643594617472942080_n.jpg67402604_10218191494035262_8168117006227210240_n.jpg67345234_10218191489595151_3758403362492514304_n.jpg67303939_10218191496755330_2507216132889378816_o.jpg67241602_10218191493235242_336880424196243456_n.jpg67237469_10218191492835232_3361823361033306112_n.jpg67232777_10218191490995186_2409040237134086144_n.jpg67178809_10218191490515174_7671187009452376064_n.jpg67164132_10218191494795281_4590341517024952320_n.jpg67156224_10218191493595251_6176444803106996224_n.jpg

Attachments