Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

Is anyone interested in trying to pan for gold this spring? California has been hit with some heavy rains and the streams and creeks have been raging, which should have washed down some gold nuggets! A buddy of mine tried gold panning the dirt under some of the larger boulders in nearby creeks after the floods of 1996 and found over 10 ounces of gold!

Reactions: T.Shack

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

A friend of a friend pulled a 12 ounce nugget out if the Mokelumne in early January.

Reactions: T.Shack and BobG

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Yeah I couldn't believe it, I was at my buddy's house and he brought it over to show off. I was impressed. Apparently it is what he does with all his time off work.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobG

jeffs blackjeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

vancouver, b.c., canada
First Name
jeff
Last Name
ross
Member #

here in B.C., we need to check for claims everywhere and most don't mind if you pan, but some do and will give you a hard time. what is it like in california and are they just as bad or temperamental?

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

here in B.C., we need to check for claims everywhere and most don't mind if you pan, but some do and will give you a hard time. what is it like in california and are they just as bad or temperamental?
I think if you pan on aother person's claim without their permission in California and get caught it's big trouble

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I am also interested in giving it a try but yes you need to know where you can pan or not! Some areas you better not reach down to pick up a rock.

Reactions: T.Shack and BobG

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I prospect AZ. I want to go to the mother load one day. One thing that holds me back is not knowing the area well enough. So if anyone knows where to go and is going. I'd sure like to tag along. I drywash here so I reckon all I would need to come up with is a slush box.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I think claim must be posted, but do not quote me on that.

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

I think claim must be posted, but do not quote me on that.
I've asked permission from some private property folks along Highway 49 and most don't mind as long as you don't make a mess. There are a lot of areas that are not under any sort of claim.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I have been panning for about a year now. It is just a fun way to be outdoors with the light possibility of a payout. I too have been watching the rain and how it is affecting the waterways....for Gold! Eureka!!!!

C00lby

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tracy, CA
First Name
C
Last Name
I
Member #

I worked in the Folsom area for a few years and panned the creek that ran through the property. I found it to be quite enjoyable. Ive been wanting to go up 49 and do some panning. Do you have good trails you would recommend? If you want to move dirt pretty quick you should check out the gold bazooka. It works perfectly.