Going International in a Soft Top Jeep

• HTML tutorial

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Hey all,

I am planning a Baja trip, and also hoping to eventually hit more of Central America and South America in the future.

Watching a bunch of videos of these trips people talk about how it’s safe, but to take precautions not to look like an easy target; to prevent “crimes of opportunity”.

Will a soft top draw too much bad attention? For those who have been there, would you have been comfortable with a soft top?

Also, is anyone aware of countries where it may be illegal to take my doors off? I figure that might also be good information to have.

Thanks for the info!View attachment 68687

Advocate II

I’ve only been to South America once and it was for two and a half weeks. If you’re driving around in a Jeep Wrangler, which is really uncommon there, you’re going to stand out regardless. Criminals will take every opportunity they have to get what they want. My advice, don’t give them a chance. I’d secure everything and then have a back up in case your first security stage fails.

Reactions: SubeeBen

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Thanks for the advice. I think that confirms for me that I’ll eventually need a solid locking trailer. I suppose I should probably also look into replacing my plastic locking glove box and center console with the steel ones. Probably a locking hood too. Hopefully when I make those South America plans I’ll be able to find a group of other travelers to convoy with.

Enthusiast III

California
Hi Alex
My wife and I spent about 2 years traveling through Mexico and Central America. If you have seen our youtube channel or seen us traveling with OB, then we are one of those people telling you it's safe. But I definitely would advise against traveling in a soft top jeep. They are just too easy to take stuff from. Plus, if your's is anything like my brother's old soft top, I wouldn't trust it to stay dry in a Central America rain storm.
If you're hooked on your jeep and you need the extra space, a trailer is an option, but I would suggest reading/watching other people's experiences with them in Central America. Preferably people who aren't sponsored, if you can find one. While an accomplishable task, pulling a trailer down there is a lot more of a pain than pulling a trailer in the USA due to narrow, uneven roads and lots of poorly marked speed bumps. It will also eat into your budget if you plan to use tollroads, ferries, paid campsites, or ship your vehicle across the Darien or back north to the USA.
Best of luck on your travels.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The only city I have ever felt secure in parking and leaving my old soft top jeep was in Montreal. We left it sitting for about 6 hours in a less than desirable neighborhood, (Montreal Nord, for those that know about Montreal), and I didn't even worry a bit. I wouldn't dream of parking even my secure hardtop rig anywhere near an American city. When we had the ragtop we never ever bothered locking it nor did we ever go to any places even near any American cities. Central America? I've never been but I would agree 100% with "Traveling Together's" great advice.