Gobi Stealth Rack alternative

• HTML tutorial

Trace

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Carolina
Member #

New to overlanding and just purchased a 2017 4Runner to modify. I have an interest in the Gobi Stealth rack but research has indicated a very long time to be able to get one. Can anyone recommend an alternative?

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I got a Baja Rack for my 4Runner because of the long wait for the gobi. I love it so far and they have 3 different styles to fit your needs. So far, the rack is very durable (solid single piece) and the powder coat finish is thick to provide extra protection from straps or gear rubbing/ chipping. I haven't found any rust on it so far with being exposed to rain, but the vehicle is kept in a garage to decrease the chances. Price point is about the same as the gobi and they offer a rear hatch ladder as well, which in my opinion looks better than the gobi ladder, because it follows the body line. When I ordered it, it shipped within 2 weeks and arrived on the third week (freight shipping takes longer).

Trace

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Carolina
Member #

Front Runner and my personal favorite that I wished they were still making the Jeep Series racks would be BajaRacks.
I got a Baja Rack for my 4Runner because of the long wait for the gobi. I love it so far and they have 3 different styles to fit your needs. So far, the rack is very durable (solid single piece) and the powder coat finish is thick to provide extra protection from straps or gear rubbing/ chipping. I haven't found any rust on it so far with being exposed to rain, but the vehicle is kept in a garage to decrease the chances. Price point is about the same as the gobi and they offer a rear hatch ladder as well, which in my opinion looks better than the gobi ladder, because it follows the body line. When I ordered it, it shipped within 2 weeks and arrived on the third week (freight shipping takes longer).

Trace

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Carolina
Member #

Thank you

Reactions: Michael Houston

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Rhino rack also makes a good product. Front Runner and Rhino Rack have the greatest selection of load management bolt on devices.

Michael Houston

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

St. Marys, WV
Member #

New to overlanding and just purchased a 2017 4Runner to modify. I have an interest in the Gobi Stealth rack but research has indicated a very long time to be able to get one. Can anyone recommend an alternative?
If it were me. I wouldn't settle. I would wait for the Gobi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lepik

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet

I'm not sure the term settle is appropriate. My Gobi was replaced with Rhino Rack, because it met my needs better. Now my Gobi is sitting in my storage unit. Im not saying I "upgraded", that would be to strong of a word. I just changed to a differently functional rack.

Trace

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Carolina
Member #

I'm not sure the term settle is appropriate. My Gobi was replaced with Rhino Rack, because it met my needs better. Now my Gobi is sitting in my storage unit. Im not saying I "upgraded", that would be to strong of a word. I just changed to a differently functional rack.
Thank you

Michael Houston

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

St. Marys, WV
Member #

You are right. As we get out we see what works and what we might change to if we have the chance. So I mis spoke as to the word settle. I'm researching which one I want to go with. I'm building my 3rd gen 4Runner little by little. Just put the lift on. And now am trying to decide on tires. I'm leaning towards the Cooper discoverer stt pro M/T. 33's. I could go cheaper but I want to have some great tires since I have open diffs.

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Check out Prinsu designs (google prinsu racks - for some reason I'm having problems with hyperlinks in Tapatalk otherwise I'd link it for you).

They're aluminum like Rhino and Frontrunner, and are priced very competitively. They have a small, 3/4, and full length option.

I'm personally deciding between the 3/4 and full length for my '15 4Runner at the moment and will hopefully pull the trigger on one this fall.

Have fun shopping!!!

Penny Money

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nyc
Member #

Front runner is good and so is the K9 racks. I have a rhino rack on the 100 and I'm not a fan. Next build I'm getting a rack that accommodates a table under the rack. I think the founder of OB has a gobi rack and the way his Rtt sits on his rig it looks very top heavy. If you are going to mount a Rtt I highly recommend a tray rack.

Lepik

Rank II

Advocate II

Colorado

I agree. I debated for like 2 weeks if I should go with another company. In the end I am on the current 12 week wait list and because I live 2 hours away they will do all install for free.November can't come soon enough

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Do the Gobi racks still have the rust issues I heard about? They look nice but I'm leaning towards the front runner aluminum rack. The amount of accessory configurations are intriguing, plus being aluminum is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk