• HTML tutorial

SOCOSam

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Del Norte, CO
Member #

Hey there OB!

I just installed my Gobi Stealth on my jeep JKU which is still in summer mode with the soft top on.
What a wait! We placed the order in March and it was delivered last week. I am still fine tuning the wind faring so that is not a huge issue. The big issue so far for me is the soft top buffeting and slapping the underside of the rack. This only happens with the windows up but if I crack one it stops. There has been some discussion on other forums but no good solution...

I have read zip tying pool noodles/pipe insulation helps alleviate the noise a little but I think there has got to be a better solution out there. The hard top will be going on soon, but I'd still like to get this resolved for the rest of the soft top seasons moving forward.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Sam

Nick Carenza

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

San Diego, California
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Carenza
Member #

Congrats on your delivery. I was thinking of waiting to order mine but with these long waits I'm hearing about, I think I'm gonna just order it now.

I was trying to find someone with this rack to get some accurate inner-dimensions. I checked their spec sheet at http://www.gobiracks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/JEEP-JKU-SPECS.pdf but it didn't clearly state what I was looking for.

Could you possibly post the inner measurements of the cargo area. I want to get some storage cases and make sure they are going to fit like I expect.

Thanks!

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

The softtop is cheap noisy crap with too little tension.
I know a solution but it's included sewing in cross straps and so on... It's on the limits of my English knowledge...

varano14

Rank 0

Traveler I

I found that the pipe insulation was the best solution. My definition of best is least noise. Pipe insulation is black so you cant really see it. I used that in addition to wedging something in between the role bar and the side windows. I had a lot of slapping and buffeting from the sides as well. With those two things my top is now silent with the gobi installed. As an additional tip I used piece of pipe insulation on to bottom of the wind fairing to seal it to the roof line.

Reactions: NonStop

NonStop

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I found that the pipe insulation was the best solution. My definition of best is least noise. Pipe insulation is black so you cant really see it. I used that in addition to wedging something in between the role bar and the side windows. I had a lot of slapping and buffeting from the sides as well. With those two things my top is now silent with the gobi installed. As an additional tip I used piece of pipe insulation on to bottom of the wind fairing to seal it to the roof line.
Hi Varano14 can you dm me some photos? I need to reduce my wind noise for my soft top. Thank you

varano14

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hi Varano14 can you dm me some photos? I need to reduce my wind noise for my soft top. Thank you
Unfortunately I am still in winter mode with the hard top but what I did was get the largest diameter pipe insulation my local hardware store had, either 3/4 or 1in. Then I zip tied it to the bottom of every bar that was running perpendicular to the driving direction of the jeep. The key spot I believe it the rearmost bar on the Gobi that one I doubled up the insulation to make sure it was making contact with the soft top. I also found that folding up a blanket and tucking it between the roll bars and the side windows of the soft top also help. The goal is to remove as much of the slack from the top as possible. I also have the sunroof insert which I wrapped in insulation as well. I run with that on as well because that helps to keep the from portion of the top tight. That setup plus proper adjusting of the fairing reduces any flapping to zero, I will not say it is loud, there is still wind noise but the soft tops are not quiet to begin with. I hope that helps, once I'm back in summer mode I can try to get some pics if you still need help.