Go west my son....

• HTML tutorial

geoRunner

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Atlanta GA
Member #

I would love some feedback and pointers from folks out west on routes or sites to see on a trip we are embarking on in a week. We (myself and 3 boys, 18, 11 and 10 for the first 10 days... Mom meets us in CA for the southern route and return home) have 18-ish days and a pretty set schedule on visits, but once we arrive in places we are eager to get off the beaten path and away from tourist-y things to do. Here is the current plan

‘Sprint’ from Atlanta to the Badlands
1 day in the Badlands with dispersed camping
1 day in Black Hills / Needles Highway and Mt Rushmore with dispersed camping
3 days in Yellowstone / Grand Teton area
Sacramento for a couple of days seeing family friends
3 days on North Rim of Grand Canyon with a trip/camping at Point Sublime if trail is clear
1 day in Monument Valley (camp spot or interesting things to do if Point Sublime is not open and we gain an extra day)
1 day at Mesa Verde (camp spot?)
Couple of days in Taos with Famil
‘Sprint’ from Taos to Atlanta

Rig is a 2014 4Runner (6100’s and Cooper AT3 275s), CVT Trailer with custom trimmings (assuming I finish) and Freespirit TriLayer High Country 55. Since it is only going to be a single vehicle, nothing too technical or difficult, but things that normal folks speed by at 70 would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

sgthusk

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1773 Steward Harbough Road, Williamsburg, Ohio 45176, United States
First Name
James
Last Name
Huskey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W8JWH
Can’t help much but I do have a daughter and son-in-law in South Dakota. Sounds like a great trip!! In SD the people are flying by all the great stuff at 80mph and still doing the speed limit lol. Oh, you have to visit Wall Drug Store while at the Badlands. It’s a tourist trap requirement. I think if you enter Badlands from the north side,from Wall, there is an area before you enter the park where people camp on the rim. Haven’t been there but just before the entrance I’ve been told there is a trail that goes left/east toward some cell towers where people set up on the rim. I just remembered that part of the Trans American Trail is in SD. Might want to check it out. Have a great trip!

geoRunner

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Atlanta GA
Member #

Can’t help much but I do have a daughter and son-in-law in South Dakota. Sounds like a great trip!! In SD the people are flying by all the great stuff at 80mph and still doing the speed limit lol. Oh, you have to visit Wall Drug Store while at the Badlands. It’s a tourist trap requirement. I think if you enter Badlands from the north side,from Wall, there is an area before you enter the park where people camp on the rim. Haven’t been there but just before the entrance I’ve been told there is a trail that goes left/east toward some cell towers where people set up on the rim. I just remembered that part of the Trans American Trail is in SD. Might want to check it out. Have a great trip!
Sarge... The Rim Camp spot is exactly where we are going to camp... Seems like the spot. We will check out Wall Drug Store thanks for the tip, some tourist-y Americana is always worth it.

Cruiserhead17656

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

California, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Brassfield
Member #

If you are in Sacramento I would recommend taking time to see Yosemite if you haven’t before it’s about 2.5 hours away but worth it.

Craftman2

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Member #

Monument Valley is nice, but Valley of the Gods is close by, just as beautiful, and less restrictive.

While you're in SE Utah, if you can get to Rainbow Bridge National Monument you should. It's easiest to take a boat tour across Lake Powell (there are several companies that do this), which generally makes the hike to Rainbow Bridge about 1.5 miles round trip. Fun fact, Rainbow Bridge National Monument is one of only 9 dark sky sanctuaries in the world, the highest classification given by the International Dark Sky Association.

sgthusk

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1773 Steward Harbough Road, Williamsburg, Ohio 45176, United States
First Name
James
Last Name
Huskey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W8JWH
Sarge... The Rim Camp spot is exactly where we are going to camp... Seems like the spot. We will check out Wall Drug Store thanks for the tip, some tourist-y Americana is always worth it.
I look forward to hearing all about your trip. Have a great time.

geoRunner

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Atlanta GA
Member #

Any folks in the Black Hills area or Yellowstone area care to chime in on the best site for weather forecasts (long range, accurate models)? Starting to peak ahead and weather is looking a bit cold and wet on a site or two... And then just cold on others. Thanks!