Ryker

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Missouri, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hen
Hello. I did look thru the comms portion of the boot camp forum where there is an absolute wealth of knowledge with regard to radio use, types, specs, etc. however, one answer I could not find would be an appropriate way to call for help while overlanding.

I use radios regularly in my job in emergency response. That is city based, plain speak, little to no 10 code and plenty of local ears to interact with. We have protocols for a “mayday“ call but that’s almost always with other emergency personnel already on scene or very close by. What would be the correct way to request emergency help via radio for say, a broken leg in the middle of a Colorado trail?

My apologies for the painfully basic question. If this is discussed in details somewhere, please point me to that. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello. I did look thru the comms portion of the boot camp forum where there is an absolute wealth of knowledge with regard to radio use, types, specs, etc. however, one answer I could not find would be an appropriate way to call for help while overlanding.

I use radios regularly in my job in emergency response. That is city based, plain speak, little to no 10 code and plenty of local ears to interact with. We have protocols for a “mayday“ call but that’s almost always with other emergency personnel already on scene or very close by. What would be the correct way to request for help via radio for say, a broken leg in the middle of a Colorado trail?

My apologies for the painfully basic question. If this is discussed in details somewhere, please point me to that. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
@Prerunner1982 @M Rose Can you help out here?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I think calling mayday is a good place to start, I might also give out the information (situation, location, etc) even if nobody responds to your call, there may be someone listening and either can't respond or you can't hear that may be able to pass along the information. I would use channel 15-22 if you are using a mobile radio but don't rule out 1-7 either as there maybe someone(s) nearby using handhelds. There isn't really a channel set aside for emergency purposes like there is for CB.

Ryker

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Missouri, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hen
I think calling mayday is a good place to start, I might also give out the information (situation, location, etc) even if nobody responds to your call, there may be someone listening and either can't respond or you can't hear that may be able to pass along the information. I would use channel 15-22 if you are using a mobile radio but don't rule out 1-7 either as there maybe someone(s) nearby using handhelds. There isn't really a channel set aside for emergency purposes like there is for CB.
Understood, thank you for the quick and helpful reply.

Reactions: Shahn and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
If you feel your life is in jeopardy, call Mayday. If you need immediate assistance to deal with a serious situation that is not life threatening, call Pan-Pan.
My guess is that many would not recognize pan-pan, but mayday does have a specific meaning that should be adhered to.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
On a Colorado trail, the best form of radio come in an emergency would be an HF radio on the 40m or 20m band. Spin the dial to where you hear traffic and then transmit: “Break break break - - - Mayday Mayday Mayday - - - Brake brake brake”where the dash equals a one second pause. Repeat the mayday call several times or until answered. When answered; give you call sign, name, apx. Location, and state your emergency. Speak slowly and clearly. The operator Handel if your traffic will probably ask you to QSY (move) to another frequency close by where they will become a relay to the proper authorities.

I can’t stress this next part enough… stay on the air if possible and keep in contact with whom ever you are talking to. If several peoples are trying to help, insist that the person who made the first contact is the only person you are going to respond to UNLESS that person says they are yielding the frequency to Simone else that can better handle the situation. The reason for this is to keep the confusion at a minimum.

Lastly I highly recommend you find your local ARES/RACES/SkyWarn group and sit in on one of their meetings and ask your questions to the group and see how they would handle the situation… unfortunately there isn’t a set protocol for handling emergency traffic, but emergency traffic always has priority.

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Ubiety makes a good point.
I took the question as a life or death situation, if help is needed but not life threatening I would probably use "help, is there anyone out there that can assist me" or some variation there of instead of Mayday.

Also speaking of Colorado specifically they have a pretty large linked repeater system (Colorado Connection) on 2 meters that I have seen mentioned on more than one occasion over the last 10yrs being used to help someone.
In general for getting help you would more likely get it from ham than GMRS but your original question was about GMRS so I didn't mention amateur radio.
Feel free to message me if you want to get into a more in-depth conversation about ham radio or GMRS radio for that matter.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Reactions: Ryker

Ryker

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Missouri, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hen
If you feel your life is in jeopardy, call Mayday. If you need immediate assistance to deal with a serious situation that is not life threatening, call Pan-Pan.
My guess is that many would not recognize pan-pan, but mayday does have a specific meaning that should be adhered to.

I had not heard the use of “pan pan” so thano you for the link. That’s good info to know.

Ryker

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Missouri, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hen
On a Colorado trail, the best form of radio come in an emergency would be an HF radio on the 40m or 20m band. Spin the dial to where you hear traffic and then transmit: “Break break break - - - Mayday Mayday Mayday - - - Brake brake brake”where the dash equals a one second pause. Repeat the mayday call several times or until answered. When answered; give you call sign, name, apx. Location, and state your emergency. Speak slowly and clearly. The operator Handel if your traffic will probably ask you to QSY (move) to another frequency close by where they will become a relay to the proper authorities.

Incant stress this next part enough… stay on the air if possible and keep in contact with whom ever you are talking to. If several peoples are trying to help, insist that the person who made the first contact is the only person you are going to respond to UNLESS that person says they are yielding the frequency to Simone else that can better handle the situation. The reason for this is to keep the confusion at a minimum.

Lastly I highly recommend you find your local ARES/RACES/SkyWarn group and sit in on one of their meetings and ask your questions to the group and see how they would handle the situation… unfortunately there isn’t a set protocol for handling emergency traffic, but emergency traffic always has priority.
I am a little surprised that there isn’t a dedicated channel, official or not, for emergencies. Seems like a forum of this magnitude and influence could turn the tide on that and make it happen unofficially at least.

You do make some valid points, especially about maintaining contact with one person Unless yielded. I can see a group of people, well intended no doubt, cause an absolute cluster with radio traffic.
thank you for your reply.

Ryker

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Missouri, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hen
Ubiety makes a good point.
I took the question as a life or death situation, if help is needed but not life threatening I would probably use "help, is there anyone out there that can assist me" or some variation there of instead of Mayday.

Also speaking of Colorado specifically they have a pretty large linked repeater system (Colorado Connection) on 2 meters that I have seen mentioned on more than one occasion over the last 10yrs being used to help someone.
In general for getting help you would more likely get it from ham than GMRS but your original question was about GMRS so I didn't mention amateur radio.
Feel free to message me if you want to get into a more in-depth conversation about ham radio or GMRS radio for that matter.
I appreciate the clarification on mayday vs just assistance. That’s an important distinction.
I do not live in Co, I just like to travel there a lot and I’m finding myself enjoying more and more remote destinations. It’s only wise to learn more as I do so.

I looked into HAM when I got my gfrs license and found the equipment, home based anyway, rather expensive. It wasn’t a hobby I had the time for then but maybe a mobile set up should be revisited. Thank you for your reply.

Ryker

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Missouri, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hen

Incant stress this next part enough… stay on the air if possible and keep in contact with whom ever you are talking to. If several peoples are trying to help, insist that the person who made the first contact is the only person you are going to respond to UNLESS that person says they are yielding the frequency to Simone else that can better handle the situation. The reason for this is to keep the confusion at a minimum.

Am I correct in assuming pan pan would be spoken in the same manner as mayday? Ex- “break break break- - - pan-pan - - -break break break”.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I am a little surprised that there isn’t a dedicated channel, official or not, for emergencies. Seems like a forum of this magnitude and influence could turn the tide on that and make it happen unofficially at least.
OB does recommend channel 15 for general use/monitoring.

BeerMeMarge

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Camarillo, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Schwarm
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6RFI
If in doubt just use plain language. Don't get too caught up on special terminology. Say what you need to say, clearly and concisely.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with "pan pan pan" since so few people know what that means. Those of us who like radios or people with a background in aviation or military comms might recognize it, but few others.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Totally agree that something like "help! I have fallen and cannot get up" (plain language) is better in the overlanding world. Brought the distinction up because mayday has a specific meaning and if someone listening knows that meaning you could make some people upset, earn yourself an expensive helicopter ride, etc. I know pan-pan because mariners and aviators have it pounded in; I thought it was funny so it stuck with me ;)

I don't think it matters how many times that you say your "phrase" - just be clear, slow, intentional and use good pronunciation - rinse and repeat as necessary. Take a moment, clear your head and speak clearly and with intent. I really like what @M Rose and @Prerunner1982 and @BeerMeMarge had to say. You want to make sure that others can understand you, if you are screaming or rushed that will not help. Chances are that you will have to spend some time trying a few different channels, spend a little more time calming yourself, coming up with your message and increasing your chances of being understood/helped/found. Easier said that done...

Does your radio have scanning functionality? Know how to use it so you may more quickly find a conversation to break into. GMRS also has "sub-channels/pl-tones/privacy-tones" that allow you to converse on the same channel without hearing others. Set your pl-tone to OFF or 0 to disable it. Here is a a good description of tones. I am being purposely vague on tones and welcome someone who has played with them more recently than I to correct or fill in. Have your lat/lon ready to send to help others locate you. OB1 uses "what3words" to pass along your location with three words rather than a soup of numbers and symbols - get to know that feature (I do take umbrage with some of the words being slightly uncommon and unrecognizable to all).

Some intrepid user should scrape this thread when we are all done rambling and write up a boot camp article ;)

Last edited:

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229

I use radios regularly in my job in emergency response. That is city based, plain speak, little to no 10 code and plenty of local ears to interact with. We have protocols for a “mayday“ call but that’s almost always with other emergency personnel already on scene or very close by. What would be the correct way to request emergency help via radio for say, a broken leg in the middle of a Colorado trail?

I think it would be awesome of you and perhaps a couple others to work on that protocol and then post a how to?

I think in an emergency protocols that aren't conveniently remembered go out the window, but having a protocol designed by people with experience (and experience with those who dont have experience) for both the emergency itself and for the protocols between members who are not in the emergency themselves but are in communication is a fantastic idea.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I have spent many years as a volunteer in SAR and the fire service and been involved in aiding lost and injured folks. My best recommendation is to above all be prepared, its not often you find well prepared people in need of help in the first place, but accidents and emergencies do happen to even the best prepared. I am of the camp that except for Mayday and SOS to get someones attention, just utilizing clear basic speach is the best option as it does not require either party to know special terms or procedures, once you have someones attention, just explain what you need. I do recommend giving your location out as soon as possible in the conversation in case radios fail, or propegation of signal degrades, then they at least know where to look for you. If possible allways repeat back instructions, numbers or critical info so the other party can be sure you heard it correctly. For both HAM and GMRS, repeaterbook.com and its phone app version provides a wealth of searchable information for both services. Searching through the database for repeaters located in a radius around where you intend to travel before you leave and then either programming them into your radios in advance, or at the very least writing down the information such as frequency, offset, tones etc. so you have it in the field when you don’t have service can be one of the best ways of reaching out if you are in a valley somewhere and can hit a tower on a ridge somewhere. Trying different frequencies, or different radio types can help as some may reach farther or have more folks listening in. As mentioned earlier, keep your radio on so those coming to help can contact you, if you have limited battery power, let the person on the other end know that, and that you will turn your radio on once an hour on the hour for five minutes as a check in. Once you have called for help, stay put unless you are directed to move or safety requires it (can’t tell you how many times we had extended rescues due to the subject trying to help by coming to us, and we end up playing cat and mouse). Radios are a great tool, but in mountainous terrain and remote locations they are of limited use without repeaters unless some is close. The Garmin In Reach and other satellite devices or PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) provide a reliable long distance emergency communication that automatically transmit your location as soon as they are activated. The PLB is more of the calvary is coming device for life-or-death type situations, but the Garmin and similar devices let you send a text to someone to bring you a spare part or push the button and text with a dispatch center if needs are more critical. Carrying a signal mirror, whistle, and bright flashlights are other ways of gaining attention if you are in an emergency situation, mirror flashes can be seen for many miles.