GMC Canyon

• HTML tutorial

BrianMalone80

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

House Springs Missouri
Member #

I am looking at buying a GMC Canyon in the next year with the idea that it would be a mild build that I could use as my daily driver.
1. Does anyone have one?
2. Is there anything I should watch out for with this truck?
3. What would people consider an alternative that is not a Toyota Tacoma or Chevy Colorado?

KarrbonFiber

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati, OH
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Karr
Member #

1. There are several people with the Canyon or Colorado on the forums.
2. There was a shifting "shudder" that I believe GM fixed via a re-flash of the TCM.
3.1 Ford is bring the Ranger back. I believe it will be a 2019 model, so that typically means you could get one in Fall of 2018.
3.2 Nissan currently has the old Frontier. Sure it's been running around without a redesign since 2005, but that just means the issues should be to a minimum. The NEW Nissan Frontier will be coming in the next few years.
3.3 Jeep will be finally coming to the market with another truck, the Jeep Scrambler, which is due for a launch in late 2019.

BrianMalone80

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

House Springs Missouri
Member #

1. There are several people with the Canyon or Colorado on the forums.
2. There was a shifting "shudder" that I believe GM fixed via a re-flash of the TCM.
3.1 Ford is bring the Ranger back. I believe it will be a 2019 model, so that typically means you could get one in Fall of 2018.
3.2 Nissan currently has the old Frontier. Sure it's been running around without a redesign since 2005, but that just means the issues should be to a minimum. The NEW Nissan Frontier will be coming in the next few years.
3.3 Jeep will be finally coming to the market with another truck, the Jeep Scrambler, which is due for a launch in late 2019.
Yeah I am looking forward to seeing what the new Ranger and Scrambler have to offer.

Reactions: Brandon Harvey

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

If your not buying till next year, the Ford Ranger will be back in the states. It has taken the title from Toyota Hilux. I hope they offer the 5 cylinder diesel with it.

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

I am looking at buying a GMC Canyon in the next year with the idea that it would be a mild build that I could use as my daily driver.
1. Does anyone have one?
2. Is there anything I should watch out for with this truck?
3. What would people consider an alternative that is not a Toyota Tacoma or Chevy Colorado?
Curious why no Colorado but you are interested in a Canyon. I myself am waiting for the new Ranger and the Scrambler. Very excited that the truck market is about to get shook up.

BrianMalone80

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

House Springs Missouri
Member #

My cousin is a salesman at a GMC dealership and can get me a better deal. I test drove a Chevy last weekend at a big Chevy event and liked it but it was a 2 wheel drive on pavement. I had a Ranger years ago and am pretty interested to see what it will offer.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

CanyonMULE

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Rudolph
Member #

I have a 2017 GMC Canyon, Duramax, Crew Cab, Long bed with a factory front-end leveling kit. I picked it up April 2017 and have put ~20,000 miles on it so far. It is my everyday primary work vehicle. I love it, especially for my heavy driving, mostly in town, I'm averaging 23.1 MPG.

I've only done some mild off road trails and weekend camping/fishing so far.

Because it's new, and 1st and foremost a work vehicle, my build has started with storage in the form of a Diamond Back bed cover (rated for 1,400 lbs on top) and I customized a TracRac SR to the top of the Diamond Back. This allows heavy duty carry, bed security, total ease and flexibility of a removable and adjustable system as well as maximum gear hauling utility at 3 levels. I'm in the process of adding side rails and headache rails. The side bars and top cross bars are all t-channel receivers for significant gear/lights/etc. mounting options.

Since it's new and next priority, I'm waiting until the warranty period passes and factory tires wear out before going to my suspension and tire upgrades. Hopefully, I will be watching and learning from other Canyon/Colorado builds on these systems too.

The only drawback I see so far is the lack of aftermarket products and build learning curve and experience to draw from.

I see your post is several months old. Did you purchase one yet or another rig? Best wishes.

Attachments

Reactions: J-P

BrianMalone80

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

House Springs Missouri
Member #

Thank you for the reply it certainly is helpful, I have not bought anything yet. We are going to wait until the 2019 model year for new full-size GM trucks and the new Ford Ranger so I have more options.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk