Glass lids on cookware...Yes? No? Maybe? Help a girl out please.

• HTML tutorial

Travelin'trio

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

6639 S State Hwy 16, Pipe Creek, TX, USA
First Name
MaryJane
Last Name
Linson
Member #

When my hubby and I start travelling (which hopefully will be soon) I need to know what to do about the cookware I plan to bring. I have some decent stainless pots and pans that I use all the time at home that I love, and they fit my camp stove; the only issue I have is they all have glass lids. Is it a good idea to just pack the glass lids separately to prevent breakage? I thought about just bringing my one cast iron fry pan and getting a 6-8 quart stock pot, but most of the pots I've looked at in the store even have glass lids. So, my question is: do I bring my current pots with their glass lids, or should I go all in and find a set of cookware that I might like just as much that don't have glass lids? I've read a lot of posts about different stacking sets and all, but honestly, I'm not sure I want to buy that much new stuff right away. What do Y'all think?

Tango Tiger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

I’ve been using one pan and one pot, both of which have glass lids, for a while now and have not had any problems. They travel inside a storage bin and bounce around with everything else inside the bin as we head down the trails and I haven’t had a problem so far.

Travelin'trio

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

6639 S State Hwy 16, Pipe Creek, TX, USA
First Name
MaryJane
Last Name
Linson
Member #

I’ve been using one pan and one pot, both of which have glass lids, for a while now and have not had any problems. They travel inside a storage bin and bounce around with everything else inside the bin as we head down the trails and I haven’t had a problem so far.
Thanks for the info, I was hoping they would travel well.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
We avoid anything glass when camping for the reasons stated above. my wife and I just got some nice Snowpeak pots just for 4x4 trips, so far they're pretty awesome. Stainless steel, sturdy, wood handles on top of the stainless lids.
We decided to go to these after wearing out a no-name set we found at a surplus store over a decade ago, so far its totally been worth it.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
How much cooking are you going to do? If you plan to travel for a few days then you might simply go with a single "do anything" pan, and not worry about a lid. You can create enough variety for a few days. If you plan on multi-month trips then you may want more of a range. However... we've done some long trips (11 months, 10 months, 10 months) with only a single pan and have always been able to prepare a variety of meals.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I wouldn't use glass lids but that's just me. I have a couple of metal "fits all" style lids that I've used for decades.

Reactions: grubworm

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

We have a set of cheapish pots which have glass lid with metal rims and handles which we carry in the pantry of our Campertrailer.

We just stack all our pots, mixing bowls etc into each other and place the lids on top.

We have travelled over some rough and heavily corrugated roads here in Australia and after 5 years not a scratch (touch wood as I tap my head!!).

Also SWMBO (the wife) has a very delicate thin wine glass which we have to take so she can drink her wine out of a glass - I secure it by placing two neoprene stubby holders over it and place it in the pots and not a scratch after five years.

Karl

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I wouldn't go with anything else than lightweight trekking cookware, get some good stuff and it will last for many years.

PDB

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wales, UK
First Name
PD
Last Name
B
Member #

I ve burnt through many mountaineering pans, especially MSR titanium with a dragonfly stove when simmering. The burners create a hot spot. All my mountaineering gear I use for lightweight overlanding. But the civil luxury afforded by any vehicle is ability to pack a fridge, camp beds, chairs, table and decent double bottom pans.

If you get a compact stainless marine set from magma, you can use them at home and take them camping. Great for simmering decent meals, pre-packed or not. Expensive up front but call it good for life.

Reactions: Truckee

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

no glass.
Just layer up some tin foil to fashion a lid.
^^^This.
Aluminum foil has 1M+1 uses for camping, this is near the top of the list. Poke a fork in it and it will be easy to see when you water is boiling. If you're cooking something sticky you can ball up the "lid" and use it as a make-shift brillo-pad.