"Ghost Recon" Equipment Location Decals

• HTML tutorial
Well I say "idea" but I've seen this somewhere before. The vehicle have ghostly icons about the side roof and tailgate. Each decal was clear or faded as to when you placed it on the vehicle it could barely be seen. But because of it's placement, the decal would indicated where something was stored or located on the vehicle. Medical bag rear passenger door, Flashlight Passenger side door etc.

The idea came to me while searching the net for those scout patches. each one would represent a merit badge and maybe Overland Bound could allows members to participate in training course to earn these decals upon the completion of the course.

Would Overland Bound create a "starter" decal set which would include: cooking, medical, flashlight etc All icons used to indicate where a specific items was located on the vehicle. But just faint enough to get too gaudy, thats why I suggested the clear type decal with the associating icon on the small 2x2 or 3x3 decal.

Last edited:

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

I like the idea of training and equipment. I am personally not really into the sticker thing, but I think you raise a very valid point of addressing a standardized need for training if someone is interested. Thanks for posting, it is appreciated!

Reactions: T.Shack and Boort

McGrizzly

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
McGraw
Member #

had never though about that before. i like this idea also, simple small stickers could be life saving.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
While I like the idea. I use labels on the pouches and pockets of my EDC for quick reference in an emergency (Epi-Pen/CAT/Rx/etc...).

Unfortunately, for me the idea of labeling my overland vehicle, which also happens to be my daily driver, with what is inside increases the likelihood that it will be broken into.

Reactions: T.Shack

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Thieves suck!

Jim

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I've labeled my rear hatch to help others locate both my fire extinguisher and my trauma kit. I also make sure both are clearly visible and accessible as soon as the rear door is opened. This is more so I can send another to my truck for supplies if I'm tied up rendering aid.

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

In the right circumstances I could see labeling location of potentially life-saving items being useful, but as @Jedi mentioned, theft is a serious concern for those of us who DD our trucks, or when venturing into urban areas.

Seems like the easiest way to address that would be to print the labels on magnetic backed material so they can be put on when loading up for an extended trip, and removed when you don't want to draw any more attention to your rig.

Of course, the simple fact is that owning and driving a "built" 4x4, particularly one with the usual overland bling, is a pretty good indication that there are valuable prizes inside, stickers or no.

I read a thread once where a guy was talking about his search and rescue truck and how he had been broken into more than once, because the SAR related identifiers made him a target for thieves.

WRT OB "Merit Badges," I can't say it's a terrible idea; it certainly makes sense from a growth/marketing perspective given that morale patch collecting is currently en-vogue. Perhaps even something styled to resemble X Box "Achievements" might appeal to the younger crowd.

However, I'd argue that anything sold/issued in an official capacity by OB should be limited to activity based achievements, rather than something that could be construed as a certification or qualification.

Something along the lines of "kill" markings to go on your vehicle that are currently available for completing well known off-road trails, as opposed to a badge or patch for completing a first aid or vehicle recovery course.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Well I'm certainly for stealth where possible, but I've yet to see any first aid kits or fire extinguishers stolen here so I'm happy to label those. But part of my rig's design is to keep the interior clean, empty looking, yet well organized. Unless you know where to look, the vehicle looks very empty, and I leave the recording lights running on the cameras, which seems to scare off most potential threats. Now actual ambulances and fire equipment around here are often broken into by thieves looking for drugs apparently which is why all the ambulances typically have little lockboxes installed.

I'd love to see more encouragement for OB members to get into things like wilderness first responder level aid, and advanced recovery. But I'm weird like that.

Reactions: T.Shack

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

... I'd love to see more encouragement for OB members to get into things like wilderness first responder level aid, and advanced recovery. But I'm weird like that.
I wouldn't call that weird at all; encouraging preparedness is a good thing, in my opinion.

I just wonder if that's in the scope of OB's future growth planning; wouldn't be a bad thing if it is, but developing and implementing the standards, curriculum, and other logistics associated with such things are a lot of work.

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

I can see both sides of this. I tend to agree that having stickers that indicate possable equipment inside the rig would make it a target. Also is OB were to develope there own training the programs could end up costly. May be an indorsment for program types & maybe not a curtain organizations?

Reactions: 4L_Warrior