USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Keep it away from heat?

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Id suggest different brand or a pump up spray bottle. It was like a bomb went off. Shook the whole building, blew the front doors open. I just want everyone to be safe.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

"The vented cans are 10 ounces or bigger, and ConAgra said they are often used in commercial food service operations and not found in most consumer households"

Between this and a little common sense I think most of us will be okay.

-TJ

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
Haven’t seen the video yet but I been using it for years the generic kind from dolllar tree and butter flavored. I def think a little common sense goes a long way but hey you never know sometimes they are defective you can’t always be a [emoji817] but if your cautions it should be ok.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Just wanting people to be safe. My sous chef got blown up by one of these on Tuesday.
I had the same thing happen about 5 years ago in our Test Kitchen. Chef was cooking something on the range-top and there was a stainless steel shelf above it where we kept the cooking spray and some spices. When the cooking spray can got hot and tilted over it fell right on the open burner and exploded. Everyone hit he floor and someone grabbed the extinguisher handle and pulled it so the vent-a-hood extinguishers went off. Trying to breath as we were evacuating the Test Kitchen was a whole other thing.

Reactions: chuckoverland

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

I had the same thing happen about 5 years ago in our Test Kitchen. Chef was cooking something on the range-top and there was a stainless steel shelf above it where we kept the cooking spray and some spices. When the cooking spray can got hot and tilted over it fell right on the open burner and exploded. Everyone hit he floor and someone grabbed the extinguisher handle and pulled it so the vent-a-hood extinguishers went off. Trying to breath as we were evacuating the Test Kitchen was a whole other thing.
Was anyone hurt? Thank the lord if no one was. I was 10 seconds from standing right next to my guy when it happened. Luckily it was early and slow so no one else was hurt, however my guy suffered 3rd degree burns to his arms and neck and is out of commission for another few weeks. Also thankful that his wife is a nurse and can help him recover. Anyone who would like send positive vibes for Vince and his family.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

Why on earth would anyone use canned cooking spray in the first place?

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Was anyone hurt? Thank the lord if no one was. I was 10 seconds from standing right next to my guy when it happened. Luckily it was early and slow so no one else was hurt, however my guy suffered 3rd degree burns to his arms and neck and is out of commission for another few weeks. Also thankful that his wife is a nurse and can help him recover. Anyone who would like send positive vibes for Vince and his family.
I'm really glad no one else got hurt and it wasn't too too bad. We'll keep him in our prayers and hopefully he makes a speedy recovery and is back to the trails in no time. Positive vibes for Vince and his fam buddy!!

Reactions: chuckoverland

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Why on earth would anyone use canned cooking spray in the first place?
We've been using it for quite some time, I always knew there may be some caution with it but honestly had not heard of the cans exploding unless there were in direct fire or heat. We use them because it was easy the canned butter spray for cooking on the Skottle. What do you use fro cooking? I'm not exactly sure how this accident happened but I am totally glad the injuries were not life threatening and also they were able to triage it and attend the wounds quickly. Besides the danger of it being explosive this is a good way to also asses all of our first aid kits. Making sure we are all equipped to handle an array of first aid incidents in the woods is an essential part of our equipment. Had you guys not been well prepared I would have hated to think how quickly things could have turned deep in the woods.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

If you use a skottle or cast iron you should ditch olive oil. The smoke point is far too low. I use grapeseed oil.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

You're right about olive oil's smoking point. But then the only thing I cook outdoors other than hot water for coffee is eggs. I prefer butter but usually use evoo which is just fine for frying or scrambling eggs as they are better cooked at a little above medium temps. I hate back country cooking although it seems most here and on EP seem to live for it.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I consider cooking to be a hobby. Indoor, outdoor, commercial kitchen, to alcohol beer can stove. I enjoy it all.

Reactions: grubworm

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Cooking is all i think about. #cheflife. Theres a selfish pleasure i get from seeing people enjoy my creations. Also cant beat the adrenaline rush of getting your asses handed on a busy night.

Reactions: grubworm

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Your kitchen tap water might be explosive.

Here is an old video of water in an area where fracking has been done for years.

The industry response is just like the tobacco industry denying a connection to cancer 60 years ago.

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

My version of cooking: Pop a frozen corndog in the microwave for 43 seconds, squirt mustard on it, eat.

I eat like I'm in boot camp. Scarf=done. My sister can make a meal at a restaurant last 3 hours. I'd go nuts.

Tonight's "dinner" will probably be tortilla chips with cheese on 'em & tossed in the oven for a few. Pico on top, mmm... nutritious!

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
My version of cooking: Pop a frozen corndog in the microwave for 43 seconds, squirt mustard on it, eat.

I eat like I'm in boot camp. Scarf=done. My sister can make a meal at a restaurant last 3 hours. I'd go nuts.

Tonight's "dinner" will probably be tortilla chips with cheese on 'em & tossed in the oven for a few. Pico on top, mmm... nutritious!
Yup. To me eating is something I have to do to continue to exist. I don't care to make an experience out of it.

Reactions: Munga Brown