Georgia Traverse Thanksgiving Week Trip!

• HTML tutorial

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Huntsville, AL/Dahlonega, GA
Member #

This is a thread branching off of the Georgia thread regarding a weekend camp out on a tbd section of the Georgia Traverse from September 16-18.
As a new member of the Overland Bound team I'd love to meet some of you as well as experiencing what the Georgia Traverse has to offer.
Let me know if your interested.
Will be posting more details as it rolls around!
Thanks!
-John
***Edit: meet-up location is---
Vogel State Park
405 Vogel State Park Road
Blairsville, GA 30512
Union County

Please be aware there may be a small fee to enter the state park and come prepared to pay as necessary in cash

Last edited:

Esteban

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chattanooga, TN 37406
Member #

Great idea of putting together a traverse thread!
I'm interested for sure. This weekend may be problematic for me, but i'll keep ya'll posted.

Either way, Looking forward to getting out there and meeting some OB members!

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Member #

Been looking back and forth at maps, looking into meeting at Vogel State Park, which is located on the trail, and proceeding East towards Helen, GA

Last edited:

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Member #

Vogel seems like a nice place to start. However, Helen's East of Vogel.. Where do you ultimately see us ending the journey?
My mistake. Meant east towards Helen. Still formulating where we can camp and an end site. Going to post step by step as it comes in case there are any objections

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Member #

So due to some school and work conflictions we will camp at, or somewhere very close to Vogel State Park Friday night. This way everyone has a chance to make it as well as get to know each other beforehand. Saturday morning people will still have a chance to come and we will head out early. I have a complete map of the GT with all sorts of waypoints and with help there is an overall plan, however, I think just following the path and going with the flow would make the trip much more enjoyable. Going at our own pace and enjoying ourselves. The goal is to get passed Helen at the least. That may be a really easy goal to reach as I have never been on the GT before. So if everyone is good with meeting up and going then that's what we will do. Let me know what you think! Can't wait to meet you all

Esteban

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chattanooga, TN 37406
Member #

Meeting up Friday night is a great idea! And the goal of reaching Helen should be a very easy one to accomplish. Based on what i'm seeing, it's a majority of paved roads in-between Vogel and Helen. Just outside of Helen is Tray Mountain Rd/Trail which offers a couple good camp sites. But I think we may find ourselves wanting to push further up the traverse and into Towns or Rabun County.

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Member #

So today I went from Vogel to the end of Trey Mountain in about 4 hours so it looks like we will be covering much more ground than I anticipated. The backside of Trey has one part that I wouldn't call easy however. Without my 3 inch lift I would not have been able to make it. So we can keep that in mind as we head to the top. May have to take the other path down.

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Member #

I've taken a stock F150 FX4 through there, the skid plate got a work out that day but it made it without any irreparable damage. That area is a blast on a motorcycle. Should have seen that stretch after the tornados years back. So many trees down it took months to clear.

Just don't know if everyone would be game for that... After all turning around would suck but there are multiple ways to the bottom.

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Member #

That's Charlies Creek road coming toward Tallulah River Road further along the Traverse path. No water crossings like that on Tray Mountain, just a little one on the bottom of Indian Grave Gap road leading up to Tray and the occasional stream spilling across the backside off Tray.

We hit a few small ones leading up to Tray. We will hit these coming from Vogel

Esteban

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chattanooga, TN 37406
Member #

Gotta love some water crossings. In regards to the backside of Tray, I'm down to give anything a shot. I'm also hoping to have sliders and skids installed before this trip!

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Member #

Gotta love some water crossings. In regards to the backside of Tray, I'm down to give anything a shot. I'm also hoping to have sliders and skids installed before this trip!
Awesome! Unfortunately I have no armor as of now but I have sliders due in in the next 8 weeks. It's nothing a rig and a good spotter can't handle really