US Southeast Georgia Traverse NE Sections - 02/10/2018

• HTML tutorial

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

Alright Overland Bound Southeast Members who attended the Fen 2018 Meet and Ride...my Teaser Video is ready for viewing. I wanted to make a super short teaser video before my normal full length videos but with 12 rigs and a super cool creek crossing, the video ran longer than I wished. Having said that, I hope yall enjoy seeing your rig from a different perspective and in a real cool setting.

(I left OFF OB Numbers in the Teaser Video but will add them in full length video I make.)

Nicely done Tony!!!!

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I backed out with weather and a bad back issue. Now I'm sad to see I missed it. Next time!!

Sent from my E6810 using OB Talk mobile app
It was a crap shoot and we got lucky catching a window in the weather. There was no guarantee so we put the word out like we did. I would do the same again in same scenario. Just as our lunch stop ended, the rains came big-time. As we crossed the river to Charlie's, it stopped long enough so Tony could get out his drone for video but through Charlie's it really poured and did not let up well into the next week. Our recent rains are so bad that last Thursday the Forest Service was reaching out to may of us on FB warning us trails were being closed because of flooding and washouts. Also asking if we would voluntarily stay off all trails this weekend to allow them to dry out some. Mostly the response was very position to the Forest Service request and they were grateful. Opportunity to build Goodwill.

Reactions: WillRunner

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

8:30 am to 9:15 am Group Meetup, short social, driver meeting and fuel top off at Ingles in West Union SC. Enter the Georgia Traverse at Burrells Ford Campground Mountain Rest SC and continue to Dillard Georgia via a couple of short dips up into NC. Will take a lunch break in Dillard and those who want can depart the Rally and do their own thing. The Rally will continue departing Dillard on Betty Creek Rd. to Patterson Gap. There is interest in this trip from some 2 wheel drive vehicles so for those rigs they will continue on Patterson to Persimmon Rd. 4 wheel drive rigs will take the crossover trail off Patterson to Coleman River and down to Persimmon Rd. where the group will reform heading up Tallulah River Road to Charlie's Creek. For those vehicles who don't want to ford Tallulah River, we'll continue north on Tallulah River Rd. and cross the bridge onto Charlie's Creek Rd. Following the trail west, we'll hit Upper Hightower Rd. and follow out to US 76 where the Rally officially ends sometime around the 3 pm to 4 pm hour. US 76 east will take you to Clayton Ga. and US 441 for those heading east, north or south and US 76 west takes you to Hiawassee Ga. to Blairsville and all points south and west or northwest. For those who would like to continue the Traverse you can or for those wanting to camp, this gives you time to locate a spot with numerous options in the area.

Keith you seem to be the expert when traversing this trail although I would like to attend the February trip I can not unfortunately due to working overseas and will not be home till May. I would like to contact you prior to my arrival in a few more months to possibly set-up a trip for a few days. That's if you are willing too? This trip is so my Best Buddy for 41 years is coming to visit and we would like to hang out in nature because that's what we enjoyed when we were younger. Let me know if this is possible.

Reactions: Keith McAlister

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Keith you seem to be the expert when traversing this trail although I would like to attend the February trip I can not unfortunately due to working overseas and will not be home till May. I would like to contact you prior to my arrival in a few more months to possibly set-up a trip for a few days. That's if you are willing too? This trip is so my Best Buddy for 41 years is coming to visit and we would like to hang out in nature because that's what we enjoyed when we were younger. Let me know if this is possible.
Thanks for the compliment but there are many others far more expert on the Traverse than me. Yes, this was from a trip a year ago but in your case the Traverse is not a very complicated thing nor is finding people to run it with just about anytime you like. Lots of folks out there with great knowledge on this trail as well as off shoots. If you do FB, look up the group North Georgia Overlanders or PeachState Overland Community and you can get both great intel but lots of folks ready and willing to join you at the drop of a hat. As for the Traverse itself, here is the Georgia Traverse website with map and lots of details.

https://www.georgiaoverland.com/map.html

Reactions: PatriotT4R

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

One other note, there are several closures along the Traverse right now, most notable are Dick's Creek and east side of Tray Mountain known as Chimney Mountain Rd. Word is Dick's may be closed for good while Tray is up in the air. Several sources are saying that Tray will be fully paved instead of repairing trail damage initially caused by weather but compounded by off roaders who won't observe the closure status. Even several Overlanders are ignoring the closure declarations and running the trail anyway, even posting pics which encourages others to do the same. Only takes a few to spoil it all for everyone else. Depending on time of year, some trails in Cohutta WMA may also be affected so reach out to folks in the previous named FB forums and somebody will have intel. There are even a few USFS Rangers who are members too and keep the group up to date. And as I said, there is no shortage of people when it comes to Traverse trips. Not sure about May for me as the wife and I are planning a week trip back to the Outer Banks NC in April for some off roading and some surf fishing.

Reactions: PatriotT4R