Enthusiast I

Richmond, VA
First Name
Graham
Last Name
Wom
Member #

Hey Willy,

Welcome to OB! I’m just a couple hours east in RVA. I have spend a little time in the GWNF and would love new places to go, fire roads that lead to campsites, etc. Hit me up!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Willy G

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sounds good. We normally Just do a day trip through Union Springs to Flagpole, But I have most of the stuff mapped out too.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Join in on the Virginia meet-up threads. There's a North, East and West thread going. We all randomly take trips up to Flag Pole and Big Levels.

I was just up there at Flag Pole last weekend but a failing cam sensor cut the trip short.

Willy G

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Will do. I'm still working my way though. I own a shop on the north end of town too. We've done a few recovies off the mountain.

Last edited:

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

Thanks! I will definitely look into it. It is a drive, but I dont think it would be so bad for a weekend trip. Still would like to find some more stuff here in my area, just unfortunately dont know anyone that has interest in doing this.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Was thinking of heading to this area one of these weekends. It’s a drive for me so I’d have to camp out. I was thinking of doing the peters mill run. Any good camping spots in the area?

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Was thinking of heading to this area one of these weekends. It’s a drive for me so I’d have to camp out. I was thinking of doing the peters mill run. Any good camping spots in the area?
Lots of campgrounds in the area! I spent my first day out there last Saturday, we saw 4 or 5 campgrounds nearby.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Are there any spots to camp along the trail? Or is it just campgrounds?

You need all sorts of permits to drive on those trails right?

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Oh okay That’s not bad at all. Thanks for the info! I’ll have to let everyone know when I’m going. Maybe we can get a couple rigs together
Definitely! I’d love to hit it again and make a weekend of it!

There are a couple more of us in the VA/DC area as well. I went for just a day trip with @sabjku and we had a blast.

Reactions: sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

$5 daily permit, or $30 annual. No camping on trail, I don’t think.
It was a blast! And correct, not any camping directly off of the trail, but there is Little Fort Campground that is right at the north entrance to the network of trails, off of Woodstock Tower Rd.-no water or hook-ups. There is also remote sites within a couple of miles in random spots that are off of a number of forest roads in the area. And then there's Elizabeth Furnace Campground which is back down the mountain, off of Fort Valley Rd., maybe 6-8 miles or so from the trail entrance-great little campground, right along Passage Creek, with facilities.

Should have tagged @theorangekl in this....sorry:)

Americonium

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Member #

I'm interested in the Peters Mill run. Does anyone know when the trail closes for winter? Also, where can these $5 permits be purchased? Thank you in advance.

Reactions: sabjku

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I'm interested in the Peters Mill run. Does anyone know when the trail closes for winter? Also, where can these $5 permits be purchased? Thank you in advance.
There is a list on the park service website. Basically, all the local gas stations/quick stops.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/passes-permits/?cid=fsbdev3_000477

As for closures.....
"Each year, this OHV Trail System is closed to all motorized use beginning in late January through late March. This closure provides much needed resource protection on the trail during times of freezing and thawing."

Reactions: Americonium