Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

See Resources Below...

My being new to the whole Toyota Platform, I found myself lost among the oceans of information available online and all I really need is some valid good direction on how to get: not only the right parts but quality as well. I also would like to know how to improve performance but nothing radical, just what Michael and the group like to do.

My Rig: 1999 4Runner SR5, 5-speed conversion, 243K

Here are a few examples of what I will be needing very soon:

1. Tires: I have an almost new BIG O BIG FOOT X/T LT285/75R16/E as a spare thinking of just gettin four more, but is there anything else as good which would match tread design for a better price?

My New Tires: " COOPER DISCOVERER S/T MAXXLT255/85R-16 "

BIG O: BIG FOOT X/T, Size: LT285/75R16/E, MSPN: BIGO-99067
http://www.bigotires.com/Tire-Detail/BIG-O/BIG-FOOT-X-T/40377

2. Timing belt 3.4L full service kit: I heard the one offered on Ebay was quite complete, but is it quality. And on motors with 200K+ is it also a good idea to change the oil pump while in there?

Toyota 3.4L/V6 Complete Timing Belt & Water Pump Kit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-3-4L-V6-Complete-Timing-Belt-Water-Pump-Kit/190521450224?hash=item2c5bf69ef0:g:WAkAAOxyaTxRQVOg&vxp=mtr

3. CV Axles: rumors of poor quality in the aftermarket parts has me nervous about where to get new axles. I jeard that NAPA had good parts at a reasonable price with a Lifetime Warranty? Do I need a specific length (longer) since I have a 3" Lift? But I need to hear from someone I can trust, like my OB Family.

NAPA Results for "CV axles" for your Toyota 4Runner:
(While checking the Warranty, I found that these are Cardone on the Remans)
https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?q=Nty=1&Ntk=Keyword&N=5007000+200700150+10199900+50200300+50299900&Ntt=CV+axles&text=CV+axles&isApplication=true&indices=API&referer=nol-veh-conds

4. Then I need to find out if I can get Cruise Control back on my 1999 4R SR5 since it is a conversion from automatic trans to manual 5-speed? And is the stumble during hard acceleration (Found a dead spot in my TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) a sign of a worn timing belt?

5. What is the proper placement of the On Rig Overland Bound Emblem and is there a right way to make it stick? Found it thanks @Michael " Official Overland Bound Emblem Installation ":

So in short a quick access shopping list with quality venders would be great. Also those who support OB and who might even be interested in sponsering an event or something might very well be interested in discount services for Club Members?

Resources:

Gen3 Service and Maintenance (The 5VZ-FE in the 3rd gen 4Runners, never had an EGR system):
EGR was only on OBDI 5VZ's, so not on 3G 4Runners. It was on OBDI T100's. It was connected to those funny capped-off nipples on the top of our throttle bodies. NOW you know what they are for.

Transfer Case and Differentials :
Toyota specifies that the following various drain and fill plug gaskets are a non-reuseable part. The gaskets are made of metal and deform when torqued down to form a proper seal. So it is suggested that these parts be replaced during the fluid change.

Part Name Part Number Torque Specification Wrench Size
Transfer Case Fill Gasket 90430-18008 27 Ft-Lb 24mm socket
Transfer Case Drain Gasket 90430-18008 27 Ft-Lb 24mm socket
Front Differential Fill Gasket 12157-10010 29 Ft-Lb 10mm hex
Front Differential Drain Gasket 90430-24003 48 Ft-Lb 10mm hex
Rear Differential Fill Gasket 12157-10010 36 Ft-Lb 24mm socket
Rear Differential Drain Gasket 12157-10010 36 Ft-Lb 24mm socket
Engine Oil Pan Drain Gasket 90430-12028 27 Ft-Lb 14mm socket

Your Toyota Dealership
Quality Parts and Service Primarily should always be from your local dealership, with OEM Parts and Professional Service. Ask any "Good Mechanic" and they will always tell you to by OEM Parts, never "Reman / Rebuilt" and to stay away from Aftermarket Parts except as a last resort.

Timmy The Toolman
"Our channel will be mostly dedicated to instructional videos related to working on 3rd GenerationToyota 4runners but we'll be doing repairs, maintenance and mods on some other vehicles as well." https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9EMiD9KPy61kJ6hdXcbjxA

Wanderlost Overland
"Our mission is to provide the overlanding community with useful and practical instruction on modifying and outfitting their adventure vehicle along with sharing details on exciting and beautiful travel destinations across North America." https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVSLw-lUWDt-AWGGoZqpIeQ/featured

Cheap but Useful Tools
1. A good test light
2. A vacuume gauge
3. A fuel pressure gauge
4. A compression tester
5. A multimeter
6. A code Reader for your specific vehicle

Last edited:

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Welcome! Can’t help with everything but do have some input.

The OB badge is your preference! You’ll see many different spots, really it’s wherever you like. I like to have things balanced, but that’s just me.

If it goes on glass clean the area with some rubbing alcohol, on paint I would use some windex or glass cleaner. I also used a heat gun after I applied mine to heat up the adhesive and make it stick (mounted inside on center console).

I would start with an o2 sensor for the stumbling, that’s a lot miles on original if it is, mine needed changed (3.0 motor), but didn’t throw a code. Also plugs/wires/distributor cap and rotor would be prudent.

You’ll hear a lot of different opinions about parts, I am a firm believer in OEM Toyota parts/sensors/filters. Especially when it comes to plugs/wires/distributor bits. Timing belt I would recommend Toyota brand, which is usually Aisin for the water pump.

I would look for “new” cvs over “remanufactured” or “reman”.. once again just preference.

That tread resembles cooper maxx st tread. Coopers are a great American brand, and that is a great long distance tread that is tough as nails.

Reactions: ELY-9999

ELY-9999

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

Welcome! Can’t help with everything but do have some input.
Thanks @O.B.A.K that is some great feedback, I appreciate you very much. Do you have a Favorite Online Vender for those Ignition parts as well as any suggestions on the CV axles? Sorry for being such a pain...

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Thanks @O.B.A.K that is some great feedback, I appreciate you very much. Do you have a Favorite Online Vender for those Ignition parts as well as any suggestions on the CV axles? Sorry for being such a pain...
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyota-off-road-parts/1995-2004-toyota-tacoma-off-road-parts/engine-rebuild/5vz-fe-3-4l-v6/toyota-tacoma-4runner-tundra-3-4l-v6-5vzfe-oil-pump-opt-022.html Low range has a great selection for off road bits, here is the oem water pump. Also some other good bits from them..http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyota-off-road-parts/1996-2002-4runner-surf-sw4/engine-rebuild.html

https://www.yotashop.com/1999-toyota-4runner This is another good resource

Check out www.t4r.org and the generation specific threads for loads of good general info.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/cv-axles-good-bad-ugly-210101/ example of a random discussion found on google searching “best oem 1999 4 runner cv axles”

When in doubt hit up your dealer, but you will pay a premium. Looks like OEM cv axles are the best ones out there.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Eliyahu YHWH
See Resources Below...
My being new to the whole Toyota Platform, ...
My Rig: 1999 4Runner SR5, 5-speed conversion, 243K ...
Looks like you've found Timmy the Toolman's channel. I'd also suggest 4runnerHowto (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQj5MohFp0FkkIoJPWCYs-A)

You should be able to get Cruise back on the 3.4l with manual conversion. My 1997 w/ 5speed Tacoma has it. Not sure what it would take though.

As others have mentioned above, I usually get my parts from my local dealership when available and cost is reasonable. I've also had good luck with Rockauto.com and my local Large NAPA store (The small one by the house is hit or miss with Toyota parts, but we have a big warehouse sized one that usually has the part.) Last O2 couple of O2 Sensors I put in to the 97 were from NAPA and AutoZone Both were the "correct" part based on the Toyota part number and came with the wiring out to the plug. Each had lower priced parts that were just the sensor with pigtails, and while I can do a proper western union splice I'd rather pay the extra ~$15 to not introduce an additional point of failure.

I'd like to know more about your "stumble during hard acceleration" as I've had a couple of these recently. on the Tacoma. Engine rev'ed but, no extra go, almost felt like loss of grip in the system. Does this sound like what you had?

For your useful tools list my input would be:
1. A good test light
I've used a test light like this one OTC 3636 Heavy-Duty Cord Circuit Tester since I was a teen working on my old VW's. The coiled cord was long enough to reach from the Battery under the back seat to either end of the car and nearly up to the front drivers side headlight.​

6. A code Reader for your specific vehicle
I currently just stop by the local NAPA or Autozone as both will lend these tools. I'm saving up for a ScanGauge Ultra as it provides much more than just a reader.​

7. Panel openers
These were handy when I had to replace a blown speaker: KingLake Door Panel Removal Kit

Boort

ELY-9999

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

@Eliyahu YHWHLooks like you've found Timmy the Toolman's channel. I'd also suggest
Thanks for the input, wish there was a simple way to link your's with the original post w/o having to edit. But I'll do what I can to add your support.

I'll check out your link as well and thanks again for that. That Channel is more for the Gen4 so forgive me if I don't add it. Just trying to keep this as Gen3, but I do appreciate the support as it looks like a great channel for Gen4runners.

On the "stumble during hard acceleration" actually mine jerks and bucks like timing is out, but I'll keep you posted on what I find out. Gonna change plugs (not because I think that would fix the problem, just have them on hand), clean the Throttle Body Port and Mass Air Flow Sensor and then see what happens.

ELY-9999

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

No new OEM CVs to be found for my 99T4R and I really don't like Remans so I've about Sold myself on the "NAPA MAXDRIVE" which is also "Cardone" but has the additional "Select" / "Cardone Select" tag on it. I just hope it is better than just regular Cardone. Seen Blog posts where people had good service from the rebranded "Cardone Select" to the "NAPA MAXDRIVE"...

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Eliyahu YHWH
I'll check out your link as well and thanks again for that. That Channel is more for the Gen4 so forgive me if I don't add it. Just trying to keep this as Gen3, but I do appreciate the support as it looks like a great channel for Gen4runners.

On the "stumble during hard acceleration" actually mine jerks and bucks like timing is out, but I'll keep you posted on what I find out. Gonna change plugs (not because I think that would fix the problem, just have them on hand), clean the Throttle Body Port and Mass Air Flow Sensor and then see what happens.
Yeah most of his videos are 4th gen but he has both a Gen 4 and a 1997 4Runner and I think a highlander as well.

Thanks I look forward to hearing what resolves it for you.

Funny you mention plugs. When you change the plugs change the wires as well. Back around 250k my truck had a few bucking incidents while merging onto the highway that eventually triggered a Check Engine Light (CEL). It turned out to be a bad spark plug wire. The boot at the plug end had loosened around the wire and condensation was causing some of the spark juice to leak past the insulation to the head. This ment I was not getting a full powered spark to that plug which eventually lead to a misfire. For me it only happened in the mornings on the way to work, never in the afternoon. Do you get a CEL? Do you have any codes posted that have not progressed to a CEL yet. The Readers at Autozone can display codes before a CEL is triggered if the reader you have can not.

Boort

ELY-9999

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

@Eliyahu YHWH Thanks I look forward to hearing what resolves it for you. "stumble during hard acceleration" Boort
Just found a dead spot in my TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), replaced it but have not done a testdrive yet...

I tested it off the vehicle with 12 volts DC, right straight off the Battery (these use a 5 Volt power source) better to be safely away from any ECM components. I found a dead spot at about 1/2 Throttle, all voltage just went away in only that one small area. I had tested it first with my Snapon Modis Diagnostic / Scanner where it showed to be either unresponsive or very glitchy with values jumping instead of a slow ramping no matter how slow I went with moving the Throttle.

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Just found a dead spot in my TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), replaced it but have not done a testdrive yet...
I tested it off the vehicle with 12 volts DC, right straight off the Battery (these use a 5 Volt power source) better to be safely away from any ECM components. I found a dead spot at about 1/2 Throttle, all voltage just went away in only that one small area. I had tested it first with my Snapon Modis Diagnostic / Scanner where it showed to be either unresponsive or very glitchy with values jumping instead of a slow ramping no matter how slow I went with moving the Throttle.
Good to know. Amazing how much is based on a simple potentiometer these days.

Boort

ELY-9999

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

Good to know. Amazing how much is based on a simple potentiometer these days. Boort
Test drive went very well, no stalling or bucking on takeoff under hard acceleration any more (it even starts easier / no long cranking). I still have a flutter near full throttle but some of that might be attributed to a "No Flood" accelerator at full throttle which actually cuts off fuel to keep from flooding the engine.

Got new plugs and wires to go in next...

Key Fob programming??? What a pain, but for what the dealership wants I have to make it work. Tried several times and was not able to get into "Program Mode". My door lock actuators are weak or the switch circuit isn't making good contact as after a few cycles they seem to become fatigued and do not fully cycle but instead only travel part way. This keeps me from being able to get 5 full cycles in the 40 seconds required. Wish I knew the feedback pin numbers so I could just jump it direct, but in doing so risk damage to the "Body ECM".

Last edited:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Eliyahu YHWH
Test drive went very well, no stalling or bucking on takeoff under hard acceleration any more (it even starts easier / no long cranking). I still have a flutter near full throttle but some of that might be attributed to a "No Flood" accelerator at full throttle which actually cuts off fuel to keep from flooding the engine.
Nice! Congrats on the job well done!

Key Fob programming??? What a pain, but for what the dealership wants I have to make it work. Tried several times and was not able to get into "Program Mode". My door lock actuators are weak or the switch circuit isn't making good contact as after a few cycles they seem to become fatigued and do not fully cycle but instead only travel part way. This keeps me from being able to get 5 full cycles in the 40 seconds required. Wish I knew the feedback pin numbers so I could just jump it direct, but in doing so risk damage to the "Body ECM".
I've yet to try that slight of hand. I was wondering if it was possible to get 2 cars paired with the same key fob. I've got my SO's 04 Camry and the 06 4runner and don't like carrying 2 fobs. I've got to add some Chipped Keys to the roster first though...

Boort

ELY-9999

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

@Eliyahu YHWH

Yeah most of his videos are 4th gen but he has both a Gen 4 and a 1997 4Runner and I think a highlander as well.

Thanks I look forward to hearing what resolves it for you.

Funny you mention plugs. When you change the plugs change the wires as well. Back around 250k my truck had a few bucking incidents while merging onto the highway that eventually triggered a Check Engine Light (CEL). It turned out to be a bad spark plug wire. The boot at the plug end had loosened around the wire and condensation was causing some of the spark juice to leak past the insulation to the head. This ment I was not getting a full powered spark to that plug which eventually lead to a misfire. For me it only happened in the mornings on the way to work, never in the afternoon. Do you get a CEL? Do you have any codes posted that have not progressed to a CEL yet. The Readers at Autozone can display codes before a CEL is triggered if the reader you have can not.

Boort
New OEM Plugs, NAPA Premium Wires / Boots and Denso Mass Air Flow Sensor: A world of difference in start-up as well as performance and acceleration.

ELY-9999

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

Do you have a lift? I'm pretty sure that size will be tough to fit without lift and trimming.
Well those Big-Foot Tires can only be bought in-house and after all the additional charges tacked on, I felt that I could do better ordering something else. So since I was changing Brands, I thought that I would like to get something a little quieter and not so wide at 12".

The current Big-Foot tires are 12" wide by 32.8" tall
The Coopers are 10" wide and 33" tall

The only competition Cooper has is the Bridgestone, but Cooper has a two ply sidewall while Bridgestone only has a single ply "reinforced" sidewall.

So based upon reviews and research, I found this " COOPER DISCOVERER S/T MAXXLT255/85R-16 " click to check it out. Got four shipped to me, just waiting on wheel locks to arrive so I can get them mounted. :)

Here are the " Wheel Locks " I ordered.

Last edited:

ELY-9999

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

Welcome! I would look for “new” cvs over “remanufactured” or “reman”.. once again just preference.

That tread resembles cooper maxx st tread. Coopers are a great American brand, and that is a great long distance tread that is tough as nails.
Yep I am Sold on the Cooper Maxx, got four new ones :)
Also got New CV Axles from NAPA, all I could get from the Dealership was Remans.

Your input has helped me a Bunch, Thanks :)

Reactions: alaskan.lad

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Yep I am Sold on the Cooper Maxx, got four new ones :)
Also got New CV Axles from NAPA, all I could get from the Dealership was Remans.

Your input has helped me a Bunch, Thanks :)
No problem, be sure to post pictures for us of the build!