Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR

Ok - enough of the armchair overlanding, spring is pretty much here so lets get out and have good old fashioned camp out! Planning on an over night at Baker Lake Kulshan Campground (overflow area) Being as it is off season, there are no fees currently. Since this will be the first trip/camping for many this season, we are keeping this simple and low level due to weather and road conditions. Come for the day to visit, or bring camping gear and stay for the night.

BroncoNana

Rank V

Advocate III

Burlington, Skagit County, Washington, United States
First Name
Susan
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

Fair weather camper dropping out. This would be our first time heading out with our trailer, I can’t see doing the first time in the rain, wind and snow.
Dangit!
Looking forward to getting out there with y’all this spring and summer!
Maybe we will head up there just for the day!

Reactions: OTH Overland

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Fair weather camper dropping out. This would be our first time heading out with our trailer, I can’t see doing the first time in the rain, wind and snow.
Dangit!
Weather is looking like in the upper 30's at night and mid 40's daytime. Possible snow /rain mix. If you are not familiar with the area, the road is paved all the way to the camp site, and typically kept in good condition due to the proximity to the dam. You are always welcome if you have a last minute change of mind, there is plenty of room, and also to come up for a day visit. (FYI we made a day trip to a similar OB campout at this same campground as our first OB event several years ago) For those of us meeting in Arlington we should be up to the camp area early afternoon. A couple of others will be meeting us at the site.

Reactions: BroncoNana

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I was hoping to make this, but my dog’s health has taken a turn for the worst this week.
Sorry to hear about your dog not doing well, and as we have an ancient GSD with questionable health, we totally get it. We will miss seeing you there, but hopefully catch you on the next one.

mmp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lugoff, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Powell
Member #

Well the wife decided that between the rain and our 16y/o doggie it wouldn't be a good weekend to camp. Maybe we can make it to the next one.

Reactions: OTH Overland

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Michelle & I spent today running some forest service roads between Arlington and Concrete in advance of this weekends campout, a few options with various levels of snow and downed trees.... should be able to find some fun along the way, unfortunately none of the roads are open all the way to due to snow at higher elevations, and that we were traveling alone in our recently purchased JK that does not yet have a winch so we did not push it to far up into the snow. Hoping the weather is at least half as nice as it was today:) Look forward to seeing those that are going in the Arlington truck stop in the morning, or at Baker Lake for those meeting us up there later in the afternoon.

1647059125781.png1647059192566.png1647059229926.png

Reactions: parrotheadnw

BroncoNana

Rank V

Advocate III

Burlington, Skagit County, Washington, United States
First Name
Susan
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

Such a fun day! Wish I could’ve stayed and not believe the weatherman!
I’m sure there will be other opportunities to hang out with y’all!
Fun group of people! ❤

Well darn, the weatherman was wrong again! I’m sure there will be more times to camp with y’all!
It was a great day! Thank you for hosting! And wonderful to meet all of you. I really look forward to the next outing! ❤
Dangit!
Weather is looking like in the upper 30's at night and mid 40's daytime. Possible snow /rain mix. If you are not familiar with the area, the road is paved all the way to the camp site, and typically kept in good condition due to the proximity to the dam. You are always welcome if you have a last minute change of mind, there is plenty of room, and also to come up for a day visit. (FYI we made a day trip to a similar OB campout at this same campground as our first OB event several years ago) For those of us meeting in Arlington we should be up to the camp area early afternoon. A couple of others will be meeting us at the site.

Attachments

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Trip Report: Thank you to everyone who joined us for our camp out this weekend at Baker Lake! At least for Michelle and I this was the first official OB overnight event for 2022, we had an awesome time, and the weather ended up being much better than the prognosticators predicted. No snowstorms, tornadoes or even a single locust, granted there was a wee bit of rain in the evening but nothing worthy of building an ark. We started off at the truck stop with six rigs, and the report of a couple more to join us at the camp site. Our little convoy worked our way up Hwy 530, past Darrington and up Illabot Creek FS Road until we reached and cleared a downed tree across the road several miles in, only to be thwarted by unrelenting snow drifts. After checking out a side road and several turning everyone around practice sessions later, we had a great trailside lunch break. After lunch we travelled backroads to Kulshan Campground where we met up with three additional rigs. A huge thank you and kudos to @B Wild who had arrived at base camp a day prior and spent a lot of time making sure the campsite was picked up from those that had come before us. Before long camp had been set up with plenty of canvas huts erected atop members vehicles, along with a small delegation of us on living on the ground in the Gazelle Village. Our evening was spent around the campfire telling tales of lore from trips of the past and planning new adventures to come this summer. Some good time spent with familiar friends and some new ones. After a late evening and some rest, we awoke to no rain, ate, packed up camp and visited some more as people departed one by one for home. It was great to see everyone enjoying themselves while displaying good land stewardship and representing the Overland Bound Founding Principals well. Thank you @parrotheadnw for policing up the camp to make sure we left no trace. Hope to see you all on the trail again soon.
convoy.PNG
tree.PNG
Bronco.PNG
20220312_171109.jpg
20220312_171128.jpg
20220312_171137.jpg
20220313_095808.jpg
drone.JPG